Backstage news from WWE Raw in Pittsburgh…
– Many saw the way Eva Marie was highlighted in the Divas tag match as a way to rib her and apparently Rosa Mendes too. We’re told there were some that didn’t even recognize Mendes with her new hair color.
– There was legitimate concern about the WWE App vote regarding the special guest referee for Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton at Hell in a Cell. Obviously WWE wanted Shawn Michaels to win but they scripted things for Bob Backlund and Booker T to say that would detract fans from voting for them. Even so, we’re told it was relatively close until a last minute surge gave WWE the landslide they were looking for.
– We’re told “heads were turned” when a “fired” Big Show came down the ramp with music after the main event. There was a reason, however, as it’s playing into a long-term storyline that is likely to involve Vince McMahon.
– The word regarding Rob Van Dam’s hiatus is that he wasn’t thrilled with the booking of his character in WWE after the initial crowd reaction at Money in the Bank.
– The major talking point backstage was the surprise announced return of John Cena. You can probably guess the things people were saying, everything from ‘is he rushing back?’ to ‘how bad was he hurt in the first place?’ The bottom-line is Cena has medical clearance and WWE is glad for it. Once it became clear that Cena was cleared to compete, the feeling was they needed to announce him as soon as possible to help the ratings slide and improve the buyrate for Hell in a Cell. Any plan for a surprise return was off in favor of helping the viewing audience pick up traction.
– Triple H’s in-ring days are not behind him and we’re told there is consideration being given to a possible match against Big Show “down the line.”
– There’s been a recent push to turn Antonio Cesaro babyface.