Backstage news from WWE Monday Night Raw in Toronto…
- We’re told several workers had their luggage lost at the airport when arriving for this week’s show in Toronto. As Jerry Lawler mentioned on the broadcast, this was the reason for his Nike polo with the WWE logo on it.
- I noted earlier that Goldust was “put over heavily” backstage for his match against WWE Champion Randy Orton. The bout was so over that he received a standing ovation when he got to the locker room. The feeling was that he came in and “flipped the switch” and that it only added to the side feud of the McMahon/Triple H stuff.
- The “doctor” in the Paul Heyman segment was a local independent worker known as Asylum. He’s one half of a tag team known as The Flatliners and is on Twitter at Twitter.com/Asylum1240. Those interested in booking him can do so at [email protected]
- Triple H wasn’t happy with Ryback vs. Rob Van Dam and the words used to describe his reaction to me were “train wreck.” Apparently Hunter felt Ryback was unprofessional when he took a stiff kick.
- We’re told the writing team “went out of their way” to make fans believe that Curtis Axel has no chance against CM Punk. The seed is now planted that Heyman may “seek out an upgrade” to take out Punk.
- Negotiations continued on Monday night to try and lock Edge into a Legend’s contact. In typical WWE negotiating strategy, the sense was that he “had the itch again” so they tried to use that momentum to get him to jump at a contract offer. Vince McMahon has a way of using “love for the business” against guys. You may remember that Edge rejected WWE for a deal when they first negotiated because they low balled him and he doesn’t need the money. However, we are told that he is interested in securing more money in merchandising and licensing through the company. We can confirm nothing was signed on Monday night but it is also worth noting that Edge did see doctors about having mild physical contact. It could have been (and probably was) just a precautionary measure but I would feel remiss if I didn’t at least mention it.