WWE Monday Night Raw will emanate from the Times Union Center in Albany, New York tonight. Items advertised include fallout from Extreme Rules and the debut of Adam Rose. The venue is advertising John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt as the dark match main event but that doesn’t mean it will happen after cameras stop rolling.
We previewed this week’s Raw at this link. Make sure to join our Raw “Open Thread” at 7:00 PM EDT featuring streaming live results and your discussion.
I spent over a half hour today discussing WWE Extreme Rules. I was high up on the show, finding very little to criticize. You can listen to my Richard Reacts podcast at this link.
In today’s Ask WNW, we talked about the debut of Adam Rose, whether or not Batista regrets returning to WWE, issues with WWE Network and why 40 is usually too old to get pushed. You have questions, I have answers.
– One big topic of discussion headed into this week’s show is the future of Batista. Batista is off official show listings following Extreme Rules, which has resulted from widespread speculation. The speculation has been rather humorous, with people guessing in every direction (have they blamed CM Punk yet?). What you need to know is Batista is under WWE contract, believed to be a two-year deal. He plays Drax the Destroyer in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy flick and was scheduled to take some time off to help promote it. Since the film doesn’t premiere until August, it seems premature to suggest a hiatus in May would be connected. Batista “did the honors” at Extreme Rules, getting pinned clean by Roman Reigns, putting The Shield over Evolution.
– The midgets called in for the Extreme Rules Kickoff were Short Sleeve Sampson as Jerry Smaller, Shovelhead Chuck as Micro Cole and Robbie Araujo as JBElf.
– Rob Van Dam came out of the triple threat match at Extreme Rules scratched up after the spots involving the trash can.
– 15,907 was the announced attendance for WWE Extreme Rules. The show was a legitimate sellout from the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
– WWE introduced a referral system for the WWE Network on Monday. Per an email blast sent out on Monday afternoon, you get a $25 WWEShop.com promotional git card for each friend who subscribes to WWE Network. The offer is limited to 10 friends or $250 in gift cards. The friend that subscribes will also get a $25 gift card with the offer ending on Saturday, May 31, 2014. So if you haven’t signed up, click here, enter your first name, last name and email address. Signup and we’ll see if we both get $25 gift cards.
– Every time CM Punk moves, people talk. He was at Sunday’s Blackhawks/Wild NHL Playoff game and was interviewed on-camera. If you haven’t seen it, you can be assured that Punk is alive and well.
– WWE will return to Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ on Friday, September 26, 2014. The preasale password to obtain tickets is IZODWWE.
– Remember the fist from the old Smackdown setup? It’s featured in the latest episode of WWE Warehouse that you can watch at this link.
– John Cena was on ABC’s The View on Monday to promote his 10 Weeks Body Change program that you can learn more about at ChangeTime.com. Cena said he could talk about Nicole (Nikki Bella) all day long and while he wouldn’t comment on rumors of a TV wedding, he said he was in love. In typical Cena fashion, he said you would have to watch Total Divas to find out what happens next. You can watch the segment at this link.
– Seth Rollins had the spot of the year at Extreme Rules on Sunday. USA Today covered it on their “For the Win” sports blog at this link.
– Last week’s episode of WWE Smackdown, the go-home to Extreme Rules, garnered an average viewing audience of 2,271,000 viewers on SyFy. The number was down sharply up against the NBA Playoffs on ESPN. Click here for more ratings data from TV By the Numbers.
– Bully Ray, Magnus, Samoa Joe, James Storm, Bobby Roode, Mr. Anderson and Eric Young are advertised for next year’s TNA Maximum Impact 7 tour of the United Kingdom. One glaring name missing from promotional information is Kurt Angle. Kurt’s TNA contract is coming up and I would be shocked if he re-signed, considering he’ll have an offer from Global Force Wrestling and has all but said he wants one final run in WWE. I’m also told Joe’s contract is up in December 2014, so it’s interesting he’s listed.
– TNA will return to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida this week for another set of Impact Wrestling tapings and two One Night Only pay-per-view tapings. The shows are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Official information is available at this link.
– Gail Kim will answer questions from fans during the airing of this week’s episode of Impact Wrestling on Twitter. You’ll be able to ask her questions on Thursday beginning at 9/8c using the hashtag #AskGail. Click here for more.
– The latest Global Force Wrestling video, subtitled #TheJourney Webisode 3, is now online at this link. In it, Jeff Jarrett talks about recruiting talent and spreading the word about the force. The video was recorded over the past week.
– Speaking of Global Force Wrestling, let’s just recap what we know so far. Toby Keith is not just giving Jeff Jarrett a blank check to do what he wants. He’s taking a more conservative approach out of the gate. The promotion will probably begin taping their shows in Nashville, TN but hope to transition to Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. Hermie Sadler is on the board, former TNA producer Kevin Sullivan is involved and they have a working relationship with AAA in Mexico. We have 12 names contacted about working there still online at this link. GFW is hoping for a desirable national television contract but already have the ear of pay-per-view providers, mainly because the pay-per-view providers want to replace WWE with more wrestling-related content.
If you want more insider news, more questions answered, more analysis and more WNW awesomeness, join WNW Premium. It’s less than $0.20 a day and is worth every penny. We promise!