To address the multitude of emails we’ve received regarding Ric Flair possibly returning to WWE, here’s the latest.
Flair’s contract with TNA Wrestling expired in September although he made his first post-TNA appearance at the “Gathering of the Juggalos” in August. We first noted in May that Flair was looking to return to WWE. Flair’s desire to return was heavily influenced by his daughter Ashley signing a WWE developmental contract. We were told Flair at the time was exploring his options both on and off screen to return to WWE in hopes he’d be able to keep a closer eye on his daughter’s career.
This resulted in TNA filing a lawsuit against WWE on allegations of contract tampering. A hiring freeze was then enacted in WWE where they refused to hire any talent with expiring TNA contracts. Not only that but the company has shied away from signing any worker employed in TNA while Brian Wittenstein (also being sued in the same lawsuit by TNA) worked there as an office employee.
Last week, we heard again that Flair “fully intends” to return to WWE and was waiting on the ongoing litigation to be resolved. We were told the feeling was if the issues weren’t resolved soon that WWE would “get creative” to find a way to bring him back.
With WWE Raw taking place in Flair’s hometown of Charlotte, NC next Monday night there’s a lot of buzz it could mark the return of Flair to WWE television. We have not heard that although when we broke the news WWE was looking to replace AJ Lee as the Raw General Manager in September, we noted Flair’s name was brought up in the angle in addition to Vickie Guerrero. However, adding to the litigation/contract issues, there was concern about putting Flair in a situation where he would have a live mic although it wasn’t completely dismissed either.