Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #1, Friday, May 24, 2013
The Powerslam Newsletter is our latest feature to WNW Premium. In it, you will find a newsletter loaded with a recap of the day's top stories as well as exclusive tidbits. This feature is 100% exclusive to WNW Premium Members. Enjoy!
- CM Punk and the newest Paul Heyman Guy, Curtis Axel, had an interesting exchange on Twitter. Axel Tweeted, “@RealCurtisAxel: Life is good when your a #PaulHeymanGuy!!! @WWE @HeymanHustle pic.twitter.com/vvLkBeNAUZ” in which Punk replied, "You're." Axel, working as a heel, didn't back down and actually threatened Punk. Axel wrote, "Ur." and then "Love the grammar geeks! Just think, how impressive would it be to correct grammar with one eye after I bust YOUR orbital bone? #nerds"
- Shawn Michaels will appear at Friday night's WWE Raw live event in Salt Lake City, Utah as he'll be honored with "Shawn Michaels Appreciation Night." The New Age Outlaws are officially advertised and expected to work. Jim Ross is among the names confirmed to appear. He'll be signing autographs prior to the show. Michaels is also scheduled to appear at Raw live events this weekend in non-wrestling roles on Saturday in Red Deer and Sunday in Lethbridge. If you attend any of the shows, please submit a live report.
- There is some concern over Fandango and not for reasons one may think. We're told WWE officials are satisfied with his work but he's developed a bit of an ego backstage. However, we are told that officials continue to be impressed with his commitment to his character and feel he is in better shape each week.
- Chris Jericho has openly said one of the reasons he's working as many dates as he can is because he wants to help "make" someone a star.
- We're told one of the many reasons for the push of Curtis Axel is strong support from The Rock. Rock put him over backstage big time during his most recent run, saying he feels Axel has what it takes to be a major star. As previously noted, Rock trained one-on-one with Axel to help prepare for his matches.
- There are still plans to push Daniel Bryan following a program with Kane. I would assume the program is built off Team Hell No being unable to recapture the WWE Tag Team Championship but this has been talked about since the beginning of March, much like the title reign of The Shield.
- We didn't hear anything new regarding Dolph Ziggler backstage at WWE Raw. He's scheduled to be examined this week if he hasn't been seen already.
- Randy Orton has discussed a heel turn with WWE officials for months but we are told there still isn't a clear path to turn him.
- We can confirm there was a lack of support for Antonio Cesaro backstage with some feeling he came across as bland. We're told it's Vince McMahon that has toned him back but Triple H is still behind him and he's working with what he's given. My source feels he's going to be OK in the long run.
- Bo Dallas beat Big E Langston at this week's WWE NXT tapings to win the NXT Championship. Complete taping results are now online at this link.
- Big Show is currently working through what is believed to be a torn labrum.
- Independent worker Ryan Smiley Katz has accepted a job in production with WWE NXT. He's relocating to Orlando, Florida as all developmental talents are also arranging their living arrangements with the WWE Performance Center set to open on July 1, 2013.
- Titus O'Neil continues to tell the public every time that he's interviewed that his WWE career is because of his good friend Dave Batista.
- For more WWE coverage, check out WWENews.net.
- TJ Perkins worked as Suicide on this week's episode of Impact Wrestling. Perkins has been an independent standout for many years and had a previous run in TNA as Puma. He's also appeared on WWE television in tryout matches.
- For those that missed this week's episode of Impact Wrestling, Mickie James beat Velvet Sky to win the TNA Knockouts Championship.
- TNA Wrestling released a new mobile app that's svailable for both Apple and Android. This app is a fitness training app where you can customize how you train. It's called Always Revolve. The full description of the app as well as a video describing it can be viewed here.
- Below is the current lineup for TNA Slammiversary:
No Holds Barred Match For the TNA World Title
If Sting loses, he will no longer be able to compete for the TNA World Title again
Bully Ray (c) vs. Sting
Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles
Four Team Elimination Match For the TNA Tag Team Championships
Chavo Guerrero & Hernandez (c) vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian vs. Ausitn Aries & Bobby Roode vs. James Storm & Gunner
Singles Match for the Television Championship
Devon (c) vs. Joseph Parks
Ultimate X Match for the X-Division Championship
Kenny King (c) vs. Chris Sabin vs. Suicide
Gail Kim vs. Taryn Terrell
Gut Check Tournament Finals
Jay Bradley vs. Sam Shaw
- In addition to TJ Perkins working as Suicide on this week's episode of Impact Wrestling, Shark Boy and Gunner returned in an angle with James Storm. Shark Boy offered his services as Storm's partner at the pay-per-view but Gunner came out and attacked him. Gunner has been working in Ohio Valley Wrestling, while Shark Boy recently worked the TNA 10 "One Night Only" pay-per-view. Speaking of which, Perkins worked as Puma on one of the company's pay-per-view specials. Storm is currently out rehabbing a slightly torn abdominal.
- TNA will announced the second inductee to their company Hall of Fame at Slammiversary. Sting was announced last year and inducted at Bound for Glory.
- Ken Anderson was featured in a piece on The Maino Project on NBC 26 out of Wisconsin. In it, he's referred to as a former WWE wrestler. "I was chosen as most likely to get into the entertainment business," said Ken Anderson. The station says he works for another circuit where the venues might be a little cozier, but the passion remains the same. You can watch it embedded in the video below or at this link.
- Kendra Bunyon reacts to this week's Impact Wrestling in a new installment of the TNA Blog Zone at this link.
- This week’s episode of Impact Wrestling did an average viewing audience of 1,379,000 viewers on Spike TV. The show ended up with a 1.07 cable rating.
- For more TNA coverage, check out TNANews.com.
- Promotional information for Wrestlejam on May 30, 2013 in Ringgold, Georgia is falsely advertising that Ric Flair will be wrestling on the show. Flair used Twitter to clear up the rumors. The following is from Flair’s verified account: "I am planning to go to the show in Ringgold May 30th, but I'm just signing autographs, NOT wrestling. Not sure how that rumor got started." We replied by showing Flair the promotional flyer for the show, which is how the rumor got started. This is why we do not cover indy shows. You can view the poster at this link.
- Jerry Lawler is set to the return to the ring for the first time since suffering a heart attack live on WWE Monday Night Raw this weekend. Lawler has full medical clearance and is not at risk to bump. The match will take place at Dory Funk Jr’s !Bang! TV event on Saturday in Ocala, Florida.
- We have a fantastic audio interview now online with Nigel McGuinness. In it, he discusses his retirement from pro wrestling, run in TNA Wrestling and the current top star in Ring of Honor. Listen now at this link.