Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #11, Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Good evening everyone! The Backstage News from WWE Raw is now online and we have a lot of big news and notes from both WWE and TNA Wrestling. Not much in terms of housekeeping notes, so we'll get to it.
Want this in your inbox? We're now mailing this as all you have to do to get it sent directly to you is to subscribe at this link.
- This week's episode of WWE Monday Night Raw did an average viewing audience of 3,680,000 viewers on the USA Network. Here is the hourly breakdown: Hour one - 3,620,000 viewers, Hour two - 3,620,000 viewers, Hour three - 3,800,000 viewers. The show was up against stiff competition as the NBA Playoff Game 7 between the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers did an average viewing audience of 11,570,000 viewers on TNT.
- WWE Hall of Famer Bob Backlund was backstage at this week's Monday Night Raw in Hartford. He and Ryback visited the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center on Monday afternoon.
- Kofi Kingston underwent left elbow arthroscopy last Thursday under the care of Dr. Jeffrey Dugas in Birmingham, Alabama. Two large bone child about the size of a marble were removed from his elbow joint. He's now doing physical therapy in hopes he can return in 1-2 months.
- World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler didn’t return on WWE Monday Night Raw as advertised. Michael Cole said on commentary that Ziggler wasn’t there and is still recovering from his concussion. Ziggler was at live events in Bethlehem and Poughkeepsie over the weekend. He was featured on the WWE App during Raw. You can watch his promo at this link.
- The word backstage at this week's WWE Monday Night Raw was that Ziggler passed an iMPACT concussion test and will be able to return to the ring. While no return match has been officially announced, he's expected to be able to compete at WWE Payback in a couple of weeks.
- As of this week's WWE Raw, the company was at least thinking of starting again on The Usos. You can watch a promo they cut backstage at Raw, saying they are ready for The Shield at this link.
- Triple H said in a backstage segment with Stephanie McMahon before “leaving” this week’s Raw that he’ll be at next week’s show, in the ring to face Curtis Axel. Next week’s WWE Raw will take place from The Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia.
- CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho for WWE Payback was “made official” with a “contract signing” between Paul Heyman and Jericho on this week’s Monday Night Raw.
- We heard there were major show re-writes for this week’s WWE Monday Night Raw with Vince McMahon and Triple H working late into Monday evening. Apparently the entire script was gutted and completely re-written just hours before the show went live. Vince felt the original script was boring and non-eventual. The company was very concerned about outside competition, going up against the NBA Playoff Game 7 between the Indiana Pacers and Miami Heat.
- Ryback caught some heat backstage for breaking kayfabe by saying that Kofi Kingston had surgery on Thursday when Smackdown didn't air until Friday. We're also told he complained on Daniel Bryan, saying he worked stiff. Triple H reportedly laughed at the comment as Bryan received very high marks. One observer says Ryback is on a big ego trip and this isn't the first time that he's ran his mouth or messed up his lines.
- Speaking of Daniel Bryan, Vince McMahon praised him for working "two great matches" and carrying Ryback in his best match to date. Vince has given the green light to push Bryan and there's talk about a summer program with Dolph Ziggler.
- Vince McMahon was back on his tag team kick this week, which explains the booking of The Usos. The problem is The Usos are not seen as being on the same level as The Shield, given the top names they've already beaten.
- The official theme song for WWE Payback is “Another Way Out” by Hollywood Undead.
- Nicole Tranquillo, the artist that does Kaitlyn’s new theme music, “Higher,” was a contestant on Season 6 of American Idol. You can check out here profile at this link.
- After WWE Monday Night Raw went off the air, John Cena ended up putting Ryback through a table. The WWE Champion acknowledged the Special Olympians who were at ringside as guests of WWE.
- Stephanie McMahon Tweeted the following kayfabe Tweet after her appearance on Raw: "I know canceling @TripleH match tonight was unpopular. I'm just trying to do what is best for him, our company, and our family. #RAW"
- Daniel Bryan's left elbow was cut open after being put through a table by Ryback on this week's WWE Monday Night Raw.
- WWE was filming for the new "Total Divas" reality series at this week's episode of Monday Night Raw. The series will premiere on E! next month.
- Jack Swagger wasn't at WWE Monday Night Raw again this week and has been removed from all shows until the June 29th live event in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Last week, Swagger was on vacation. Now, he prepares for DUI trial on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 from his February arrest. Zeb Colter continues to travel with WWE and cut a promo on the WWE App that aired during Raw.
- Sheamus vs. Antonio Cesaro was announced for this week’s episode of WWE Main Event. This week’s show will be taped Tuesday night from the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, NY.
- WWE is advertising the following for this week’s episode of Smackdown: Miz TV with The Miz, Randy Orton and Team Hell No as well as Curtis Axel and Paul Heyman
- ROH Wrestling's Prince Nana worked a tryout match prior to this week's WWE Monday Night Raw in Hartford, Connecticut and indicated he could get another look at Tuesday's Smackdown taping in Long Island, New York.
- Here's the latest list of WWE workers that travel in their own tour busses - John Cena, CM Punk, Triple H, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio & Undertaker
- Former UFC star Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has signed a multi-year contract with Spike TV, Bellator MMA and TNA Wrestling. Here's what Dixie Carter had to say: "MMA Icon, Movie Star & now @impactwrestling Superstar! Welcome Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (@rampage4real) to the family." I'll be on a media call with all parties on Wednesday, where the signing will be officially announced.
- The following is from this week’s official Impact Wrestling preview: "Chris Sabin capped off his amazing comeback at Slammiversary, winning The Ultimate X Match to once again become the X Division Champion! After the win, Hulk Hogan told Sabin that like last year, the X Division Champion will get a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship at the upcoming Destination X event! Austin Aries made history last year – will Sabin follow the same path? Tune into IMPACT to see the new X Division Champion!" No word one when Destination X will take place or where it will air.
- TNA Wrestling has reportedly parted ways with Todd Kenely due to the company's desire to return to the two man announce team of Mike Tenay and Taz. As of now, his final appearance was at Slammiversary. Kenely parted on good terms but was not under contract and was working per shots. He was informed of the decision at last Sunday's pay-per-view. Mikey Johnson broke the story at PWInsider.