Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #14, Monday, June 10, 2013
It's Monday and it's late! WWE Raw is already 40 minutes in as I type this. I apologize for the delay but there is a lot of stuff in this issue.
Want this in your inbox? We're now mailing this as all you have to do to get it sent directly to you is to subscribe at this link.
- The biggest news from the day is Fandango going down last Tuesday night with a concussion. The injury happened at last week's Smackdown taping in a match against Zack Ryder. Dot com notes that he passed an ImPACT concussion test but has yet to pass further testing to gain medical clearance. This is why he was pulled from WWE live events this past weekend. He was also pulled from the WWE Intercontinental Championship match at WWE Payback due to the injury.
- Mark Henry continues to take offense to even the suggestion that he's not working due to anything other than an injury. He wrote this on Twitter: "The only reason I'm breaking my silence to the twitter world is to tell u I'm not retiring!!!! I have hate in my heart that's too dangerous. It's best to be away till I'm right I feel I my hurt someone or do damage to my family by going to jail.tired of holding back. I will return when I'm healthy,not because the roster is thin. I AM HURT! Don't hide on the web you got my # call me with that bull sh@t. Back to silence! There's more to to the story as we reported and are working on more.
- Former WWE NXT worker Chad Baxter, whose real name is Derek Foore, is disgruntled. He wrote this on Twitter: "Who's interested in buying a copy of my #wwe contract? #sharing is caring. #Bombsaway @WWENXT The contract includes authentic signatures from John Laurinaitis and HHH (Paul Levesque) along with salary, wellness policy, ETC... #wwe This #wwe contract is better than a tell all book about the #wwe. It shows how it #exploits the wrestlers worse than a pimp! #Bombsaway" Baxter was released in November 2012 and is known for his amateur wrestling career as he won a national championship with Notre Dame in 2010.
- In the latest high profile WWE job listing, the company is now looking to hire a Vice President of Business Operations of Talent and Live Events.
- Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins will defend the WWE Tag Team Championship against Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton at WWE Payback on Sunday. Kane will challenge Dean Ambrose for the WWE United States Championship
- WWE will fill out the WWE Payback card on this week's TVs but many feel they waited too late and it's really going to hurt the buyrate of an already B-level show. Prior to this week's Raw, only three matches have been announced.
- While it's true that Dolph Ziggler passed an ImPACT Concussion Test last Monday, there's new doubt surrounding his medical clearance. We're told Ziggler's concussion was worse than expected and there is a possibility he does not work the pay-per-view on Sunday. This was evident on weekend WWE live events as he told crowds he was not cleared despite stating the contrary on Smackdown.
- Many are speculating that CM Punk returns to WWE either on this week's episode of Monday Night Raw or at the pay-per-view itself although multiple sources say any deal for him to actually work the show in Chicago will be of "last minute nature." We're told Punk's primary focus right now is cheering on the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, the belief backstage is there's no way Punk doesn't work on Sunday given an already thin roster and an ultra thin pay-per-view card.
- Expect to see WWE Champion John Cena on the "Total Divas" reality series next month on E! Cena noted on Twitter he had a "great week" with the E! News crew and a "special someone." The current WWE Champion is in a public relationship with Nikki Bella.
- Lanny Paffo said on LAW that John Laurinaitis called him before Wrestlemania 28 in Miami to ask about inducting Randy Savage into the WWE Hall of Fame. According to Paffo, Laurinaitis just wanted his feedback upon which point Paffo told him they could "go ahead and do it." Paffo said that Laurinaitis forgot to extend his condolences.
- WWE has announced that Sheamus will face Damien Sandow in the WWE Payback pre-show. The bout, being billed as a "Kickoff to Payback" match, will take place 30 minutes before WWE Payback, at 7:30 ET/4:30 PT.
- Nikki Bella has been named a judge for the 2013 Miss USA Competition. The pageant takes place on June 16, 2013 and will air live on NBC.
- Last week's episode of WWE Smackdown did an average viewing audience of 2,676,000 viewers on SyFy. The show ended up with a 1.91 cable rating.
- Dusty Rhodes had to be hospitalized over the weekend due to an infection in his left foot.
- Conor O'Brian married his girlfriend Kristin Eubanks over the weekend. Eubanks is a former WWE developmental Diva, known as Krissy Vaine. O'Brian has been in WWE's developmental system since 2010. He had a prior stint in WWE from 2005-2008.
- Hulk Hogan has continuously teased he wants to wrestle again, even going as far as saying he'd like to be TNA Champion. TNA Champion Bully Ray said while doing media for Slammiversary that after he finished with Sting, he was aiming for a program with Hogan. The following is from the Hulkster's Twitter: "Perfect timing to start serious training again,last time around the block for me so this is gonna be really intense,transformation time.HH"
- TNA Knockout Champion Mickie James has landed an endorsement deal with Dr. Pepper.
- Matt Morgan seemed to address his infamous rant on the IWC in a Tweet earlier this month. The following is from Twitter: "THAT guy back in 2006-07(when it looked to be shot), was a drug addicted immature douchebag! gr8tful 2B sober today!"
- Former TNA announcer Todd Keneley returned to CWF Hollywood in Los Angeles on Sunday night. He received a warm ovation from the crowd as he “came home.”