Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #7, Thursday, May 30, 2013
I apologize for this being a little late. My wife and I took our son to the pool for the first time this year. I hope you have a chance to get out and enjoy the summer weather.
We're now mailing out the newsletter to those interested, as you can have each issue sent straight to your inbox by subscribing at this link. This is our newest feature to WNW Premium and is loaded with news and notes.
- Expect to see more exclusive video content on the WWE App as was seen with this week's Bret Hart Appreciation Night. One of the ideas pitched was to do weekly Raw post-shows. The company is starting 30-minute Raw pre-shows that will air on Yahoo in July.
- A judge granted WWE's petition to move Andrew Green's lawsuit against the company and Big Show to federal court. WWE has until June 17, 2013 to respond to Green's claims he had to quit working for WWE after Show allegedly freaked out on him backstage at Royal Rumble.
- The WWE Raw live event on 5/24 featuring Shawn Michaels Appreciation Night drew a crowd estimated at 6,000 paid.
- 12 Rounds: Reloaded starring Randy Orton will be released on Blu-Ray, DVD & Digital Download on Tuesday, June 4, 2013. The movie is now available on iTunes Movies.
- The latest regarding the WWE Network is the company is centering it around their pay-per-view events (all of them except Wrestlemania). The Network will include retrospective content from their library, such as what they have already competed with Monday Night War, as well as original content such as what they're doing with "Total Divas" this summer on E! A launch date for the network will be announced shortly after they sign their first carriage agreement. WWE is optimistic once they sign one carrier, the other cable and satellite systems will follow. The current price point is a monthly fee between $13-$15.
- WWE Chief Financial Officer George Barrios said at the Citi Global Consumer Conference on Wednesday that the company was targeting Mexico as a potential Network market. He said their research showed that 80 percent of households in Mexico have an affinity for wrestling. On Thursday, UFC announced a 24-hour network covering Mexico and most of Latin America. The network is scheduled for launch in late 2013.
- Vince McMahon is excited for the upcoming WWE-themed Flintstones movie. Here was his reaction on Twitter - "WWE and The Flintstones make great tag team partners! Yabba Dabba Woooo!"
- This week’s episode of WWE Monday Night Raw only did an average viewing audience of 3,945,000 viewers on the USA Network. Here is the by hour breakdown: Hour one – 3,993,000 viewers, Hour two – 3,950,000 viewers, Hour three – 3,891,000 viewers. The show ended up with a yearly low 2.96 cable rating. Not only was WWE up against stiff competition against the NBA Playoffs but they typically see a strong pullback on Memorial Day.
- The new WWE Main Event broadcast team is The Miz, Josh Mathews and Ricardo Rodriguez.
- The Miz is headed to Berlin, Germany for Be-A-Star anti-bullying rallies. There is a major problem, however, as the former WWE Champion doesn’t speak German. Miz Tweeted: "Headed to the You Convention in Berlin, Germany. I have 4 #BeAStar speeches and don't speak German. #ThisShouldBeInteresting #MakeItWork"
- CM Punk was at Wednesday night’s Game 7 between the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks. The Blackhawks won in OT 2-1. Punk was at Wrigley Field on Thursday for White Sox at Cubs.
- Cory Weston, a student of Dory Funk Jr., has reportedly signed a developmental contract with WWE.
- Impact Wrestling moves back to 9/8c with this week's show. Dixie Carter is hyping it's the beginning of the company's summer series.
- Dixie Carter is also promoting that TNA has signed a big free agent. This is from her Twitter - "And the ink is just drying on a BIG free agent that will rock #ImpactLIVE on @SpikeTV. Tune in & join us on this summer adventure."
- Jeff Hardy's first match back in TNA Wrestling after being written off of television on April 11, 2013 will be at Sunday's Slammiversary pay-per-view. The match was setup at last week's Impact tapings and will be finalized after the airing of this week's show.
- A number of workers, including Sting, in are pushing for Jeff Jarrett to be the second inductee into the TNA Hall of Fame. As far as I know, no one knows who the second inductee will be. AJ Styles is another name people have brought up but Jarrett seems to be a guy that all the top names in TNA support. Sting of course was the inaugural member inducted last year.