Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #8, Friday, May 31, 2013
I hope everyone is having an awesome Friday. We're back with yet another issue of the Powerslam Newsletter as we have managed to run a new issue every day for eight days straight. Please make sure to follow the instructions below if you're interested in getting this in your inbox each time it runs.
You can have each issue sent straight to your inbox by subscribing at this link. This is our newest feature to WNW Premium and is loaded with news and notes.
- Fandango revealed in an interview with CT.com that initially, Vince McMahon had an idea for a male stripper gimmick under the name Johnny Curtis. They realized just a few dark matches in the gimmick was risky and not quite PG. This is when Fandango was created, which is basically a toned down version of the original character.
- WWE is looking to hire a new head creative writer for Raw and Smackdown. Here's what the job listing looks like - The Lead Writer will be responsible for building the weekly WWE flagship television scripts (RAW and SmackDown); helping develop long term story arcs, as well as character backstory for current and developing WWE Superstars and Divas. More details are available now at this link.
- The company is also seeing a Vice President for WWE Kids Entertainment. The job looks like this - "The VP, WWE Kids Entertainment is responsible for overseeing the strategic development,execution, and promotion of our WWE Kids Entertainment initiative. This person will drive internal partnerships leading kid focused projects involving programming and production, digital, social and web, consumer products, international, marketing and fan engagement initiatives as well as identifying opportunities for external partnerships, acquisitions and CSR events."
- Evan Bourne says he's good to go. The following is from Twitter - "I'm healthy enough! It'll be soon!" Bourne’s been out for over a year after suffering a mid-foot fracture following consecutive WWE Wellness Policy violations (a total of 90 days suspended). He worked a WWE NXT live event on 3/28 to test his foot.
- World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler is expected to appear at Saturday’s WWE live event from the Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, PA. An email was sent to ticketholders, stating he would appear with Big E Langston in his match against Alberto Del Rio with Ricardo Rodriguez. Ziggler has been off the road since suffering a concussion at the May 7th Smackdown taping in Raleigh, North Carolina. He’s also advertised for Sunday’s WWE live event in Poughkeepsie, NY and next week’s television tapings.
- WWE Champion John Cena was at the Philadelphia Comic-Con on Thursday. He signed autographs and let fans hold the WWE Championship belt. According to people that attended the meet and greet, Cena was very personable and kind.
- Bret Hart apologized for his joke to Pat Patterson during Bret Hart Appreciation Night that took place after this week’s Monday Night Raw in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Hart wrote the following on Facebook: "I sincerely apologize to anyone that was in any way offended by my in-ring joke to Pat Patterson on Monday, especially to Pat, whom I hold in the highest regard. I was only trying to take some of the edge off an emotionally challenging moment and I failed. The comment does not in any way reflect my feelings toward the gay and lesbian community. B" For those that missed it, Patterson said something about taking a knee and Hart said that he gets scared when Pat gets on his knees. Jerry Lawler tried to sidestep the joke to no avail. Patterson is openly homosexual.
- This week’s episode of Impact Wrestling drew an average viewing audience of 1,016,000 viewers on Spike TV. TNA has to be disappointed, not only headed into Sunday’s Slammiversary XI pay-per-view but their first week in the 9/8c timeslot. The company is hopeful the timeslot change will benefit them in the long run.
- TNA Bound for Glory 2013 will take place from the Viejas Arena at San Diego State University in San Diego, California on Sunday, October 20, 2013. Tickets go on sale Friday, June 7, 2013.
- The only lineup addition to Slammiversary on this week's episode of Impact Wrestling was Aces & Eights (Wes Brisco, Garrett Bischoff and Mr. Anderson) vs. Magnus, Samoa Joe and Jeff Hardy in a Six-Man Tag Team Match.
- Both MVP and Dave Batista have said they are not the “big free agent” signing that Dixie Carter hyped on Twitter. Here's what Dixie wrote on Twitter - "And the ink is just drying on a BIG free agent that will rock #ImpactLIVE on @SpikeTV. Tune in & join us on this summer adventure."
- Adam Cole has re-signed with ROH Wrestling. The company issued a press release to report the deal. This news comes as a surprise to me as I received word from a source close to Cole that he had begun the pre-screening process to secure a WWE developmental deal. Cole recently took part in a WWE tryout camp. As of this writing, it’s unknown if something happened during the pre-screening process or if he simply changed his mind.
- Bobby Eaton is still hospitalized but his condition is improving. He’s now sitting up and scheduled to have a pacemaker put in in a couple of weeks.