Wrestling News World reader A-Rob attended Saturday night’s Ring of Honor vs. New Japan iPPV in New York. He sent the following report:
Before the show they had the usual meet and greet with the wrestlers. Almost all of them were available, autographs were $10 and autographs plus a picture were $15, you could also have gotten everyone’s autograph and a picture with them for $160. They were also selling some New Japan Pro Wrestling shirts and some exclusive merchandise for the show at the Merch stand.
Tadarius Thomas (with Jimmy Jacobs) b. The Romantic Touch (Rhett Titus under a mask)
Michael Bennett (with Maria Kanellis) b. ACH
- Good match, the crowd was behind ACH and were disappointed that he lost.
Michael Elgin b. Takaaki Wantanabe
- Basically a showcase match for Elgin since he is challenging AJ Styles for the IWGP title belt next weekend. Wantanabe look good but Elgin out shined him.
The Briscoes b. ReDragon and The Decade (BJ Whittmer & Jimmy Jacobs)
Cedric Alexander b. Roderick Strong
- Before the match started Roderick Strong came out and cut a quick promo telling Alexander to come out and fight, Alexander ran out and they started brawling. After the match the rest of The Decade came out and beat Alexander down.
The Young Bucks b. The Time Splitters (Alex Shelley and KUSHIDA) and The Forever Hooligans (Alex Kozlov and Rocky Romero to retain the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Titles
- Really quick paced match (MOTN in my opinion), the crowd was loud (especially for Alex Shelley) and everyone looked great.
R.D. Evans came out and cut a promo basically putting self over and that management told him he can face anyone he wanted on the roster, he shows an envelope that his opponents name was in and gives it to Bobby Cruise (the ring announcer) and he reads his own name. The bell rings then Cruise gets rolled up and pinned.
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin “Thunder” Liger b. Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado
- Crowd was big into Liger and everyone else got a good pop, The Finish was Tanahashi hitting the High Fly Flow( a frog splash) on Jado to get the pin. Good New Japan style tag match
Jay Lethal (with Truth Martini) b. Tomasso Ciampa, Silas Young and Matt Taven to retain the ROH TV Title–match was good but felt rushed, crowd chanted “you sold out” at Lethal due to his recent heel turn
AJ Styles & “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson b. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
- Back and forth match, AJ and Okada were both got good pops, finish was AJ hitting the Styles Clash onto Gedo for the Pin. After the match Michael Elgin (who was on commentary for the match) came into the ring and faced off with AJ, then Okada Entered the ring stared down both of them.
Adam Cole b. Kevin Steen to retain the ROH World Heavyweight Title
- When Kevin Steen came out he got a MASSIVE pop, no question the biggest one of the night and took a Canadian flag from someone in the crowd and hung it on the ropes, the crowd was way into Steen chanting for him almost every second of the match along with chanting OLE OLE OLE and booing Adam Cole since he was the opponent, Michael Bennett tried to interfere but Steen kicked the ropes whale he was entering the ring and hit a Package Piledriver . After the match Steen received a standing ovation and took the mic and said “I got one thing to say, Thank You” and left.
- Jim Ross was in the crowd as he did his one man show last night in the city (I also attended that). Which he booked since he was interested in seeing the New Japan guys. On the other side of the building they were selling his BBQ products.
- A lot of people had lowed expectations going into this card since the matches were a bit disappointing on paper but with the INSANE crowd that was hot from start to finish and great in ring work this turned out to be a great show and I recommend people to watch the reply.