SMACKDOWN! LIVE (08.29.17)
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR (Verizon Arena)
Commentators: Tom Phillips, John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Byron Saxton
Written by Brendan Wahl
WWE Champion Jinder Mahal [w/Singh Brothers] made his way to the ring to open the show to talk about tonight's main event - teaming up with Rusev to take on Shinsuke Nakamura and Randy Orton. Mahal referred to the audience as "jingoistic naysayers" and said that one of the Singhs would have to "pay the price" for his embarrassment at the hands of Nakamura last week. They offered to kiss his "royal feet" in exchange for forgiveness but before they could do so, Shinsuke Nakamura made his way to the ring. He pushed the Singhs aside and slugged it out with the champion but the numbers game was too much and Nakamura got beaten down. Randy Orton came out for the save but Rusev cut him off at the pass. The heels stood tall as the segment came to an end.
1) Chad Gable/Shelton Benjamin def. The Ascension by pinfall in 7:17 when Benjamin pinned Viktor.
Baron Corbin said he would answer AJ Styles' open challenge tonight. However, Tye Dillinger made it to the ring first so Corbin laid him out and tried to take his place. However, Dillinger sent Corbin packing and took his place back in the title match.
2) AJ Styles def. Tye Dillinger by submission to retain the United States Championship in 49 seconds.
Rusev informed Jinder Mahal that he wanted a future title shot.
3) Bobby Roode def. Mike Kanellis [w/Maria] by pinfall in 2:50 when he hit the Glorious DDT.
Kevin Owens interrupted some pre-match singing from Aiden English when he noted that the unrefined fans couldn't possibly appreciate his dulcet tones. He was out to complain about Shane McMahon suddenly becoming the referee in last week's US Title match when Baron Corbin gave up his ref shirt. He went on about being held back by the brand until Shane McMahon himself decided to interrupt the proceedings. Shane reminded Owens of what exactly went down last week and why he had to step up as the referee before bringing out Aiden's opponent and telling Owens to clear the ring. Owens then joined the announce table for color commentary.
4) Aiden English "def." Sami Zayn by pinfall in 2:14. In the middle of the match, Kevin Owens took the referee's shirt of and put it on himself. He then laid out Sami with the Pop-Up Powerbomb and counted the pin for Aiden. That can't possibly count as an official finish.
Shane McMahon said that the previous match did not count (thank god) and that Owens has already left the building.
Dolph Ziggler said that what he has planned for his big change would take longer than just until tonight and it was Little Rock so they weren't worth the effort. Ziggler said he was tired of being an afterthought.
5) Tag Team Champions The Usos def. The New Day (Big E/Kofi Kingston) in a Non-Title Pick the Stipulation match by pinfall in 2:13 via a rollup on Kofi. Xavier came down to the ring with an "It's Sore" sign and a cast on his leg.
Carmella argues with James Ellsworth about ruining her cash-in plans last week but then Natalya interrupted and threatened to make her the "Baron Corbin of the women's division." Naomi then came in and reminded Nattie that she gets her rematch in two weeks.
6) Tamina [w/Lana] def. Tina Stock (?) by pinfall in 56 seconds with a superkick. After the match, Lana had photographers take pictures of the duo.
Season 2 of The Fashion Files (Back 2 Basics) had Breezango continue to investigate who their mystery assailant was and accused Aiden English of being the one behind it all. "To Be Continued."
7) Randy Orton & Shinsuke Nakamura def. WWE Champion Jinder Mahal & Rusev by pinfall in 7:36 when Nakamura hit Rusev with Kinshasa. After the match, Orton planted Nakamura with an RKO outta nowhere to get the psychological edge on next week's match.