Below are news and notes from this week’s TNA Genesis themed Impact Wrestling taping from Huntsville, Alabama:
- Madison Rayne beat Gail Kim to win the TNA Knockouts Championship in a match that aired on the Spike TV broadcast. Wrestling News World’s Ric Santos wrote the following about the bout: “This was probably the match everyone had a problem with. Madison Rayne picked up the win and the Knockouts title in a very uneventful matchup which, obviously, left much to be desired.” Click here for complete analysis by Santos.
- Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards, known collectively as The American Wolves, made their TNA debuts as expected. In a backstage segment with Dixie Carter, they played up they were signed to the company by a new investor.
- The following matches are announced for next week’s part 2 Genesis themed episode of Impact Wrestling:
- Magnus vs. Sting for the TNA Championship w/Sting’s TNA contract on the line
- Chris Sabin vs. Austin Aries for the X Division Championship with Velvet Sky locked in a cage at ringside.
- Kurt Angle vs. Bobby Roode in a steel cage match
- Gunner vs. James Storm w/Gunner’s title shot briefcase on the line
The show was taped Thursday night and we have complete taping results online at this link.
- Speaking of the above match where Sting’s TNA contract is “on the line,” it’s that time of year again. Sting works year to year to keep his options open, knowing there will always be WWE interest to possibly use him at Wrestlemania. I heard a couple of months ago WWE was indeed interested but as the case each year, it’s completely up to Sting. Our last backstage update on Sting noted that he’ll be expected to take a pay cut in TNA but it won’t be near as significant as some of the others.
- There were a lot of people congratulating Ken Anderson backstage as his wife gave birth to twins (Prescott Liberty Anderson & Pearce Remington Anderson) this week.