This blog reflects my subjective views and nothing more. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section.
Hello and welcome back to yet another edition of the Weekly Rundown hosted by yours truly, Guy Landau. This is a weekly feature on WrestlingNewsWorld.com where I gloss over the important happenings in WWE & TNA week as it pertains to the companies’ respective major shows, in the form of bulletins for the positive happenings (under the “YES!” column, and prefaced with + signs), the negative happenings (under the “NO!” column, and prefaced with – signs), and the ones I could not decide what they were, but felt they were important enough to comment on (Under the “Maybe?” column, and prefaced with ? signs).
So without further ado, let’s get started.
+ Interesting way to open Impact Wrestling. Someone outbid Roode, and at this point we do not yet know who that is.
+ Wes and Garrett had their back comfortably turned to the attack.
+ Joseph’s OVW storyline, unlike the Direct Auto insurance commercial last week, is a less obvious, but more effective way to put over the training facility.
+ “Already got you a gift certificate”… Daniels remains as awesome as ever.
+ Cody should never shave that thing. It’s getting him as over as one gets.
+ Aksana keeping the hold on Kaitlyn was a fresh change of pace for a divas’ match. It could have been built better, but for what it was and the amount of time divas get, it was good.
+ YES! is back!
+ I didn’t expect Del Rio to lose to Kofi, nor did I expect Cesaro to beat Sheamus (albeit by countout)
+ The opening was very appropriate. This is the most horrific gunning incident in the history of the United States, and deserves all the mention in can get. Not to get into politics.
+ It was a great idea to open with the fast paced Tables match. And Rhodes Scholars’ promo was brilliant on so many levels. I went back to listen to it a second time. Finally – Cody’s Moustache is still the most over superstar in WWE.
+ Ziggler delivered a great promo backstage.
+ The TLC match was everything it needed to be. It got the right people over and was entertaining throughout. It was an incredible showing by all 6 men, and 5 of them are the future of WWE. I for one do not mind one bit.
+ Ziggler vs. Cena closing the show is absolutely the right call. It was a good match with an intriguing finish. Ziggler also seems to have inserted the Superkick into his arsenal as a finish. That’s a very smart move, as both Big Show and I think (see below).
+ NEW AGE OUTLAWS!
+ FLAIR! That whole segment was surreal beyond belief. Who’d have thought 1 day prior that this would happen on RAW?
+ SIMMONS! DAMN!
+ MEAN GENE, JR AND STEAMBOAT!
+ BIG E LANGTON! Uh… actually no. The only thing l like about his work is his unrelenting run into his opponent [as he did to Cena]. I despise his finisher [as he did to Cena], what is that thing supposed to hurt, anyway? Him attacking Cena is the biggest overpush in history.
+ I had a feeling AJ would win Kiss of the Year. The segment that followed was… interesting.
+ Tensai being in that comedy segment with Santino is the best thing that could have possibly happened to him, as it looks like he’s headed somewhere at least. Perhaps back to being Albert. Tensai being in the ring while return of the year was announced was surely a rib.
– Is Velvet’s new gimmick “Mrs. Ass”?
– Was AJ’s promo supposed to be a heel turn? Dixie’s reaction sure seemed to point at that. But it was one of the better babyface promos I’ve heard in a long time – AJ IS the corporate janitor, and it IS time he starts putting himself first. Everyone understood it and it was as clear as day.
– Your main event is Bully Ray vs… JESSE?! The large amount of offense Jesse got in is inexcusable, though you can’t have a squash for a main event. Of course, there are other ways to solve this, like… NOT MAKING BULLY VS. JESSE THE MAIN EVENT!
– Am I the only one thinking talent sitting ringside has been overdone recently?
– Is Big Show 8 years old? Sheamus didn’t hit him, he technically touched him… If anything him throwing Ricardo Rodriguez into Big Show was more hitting him than that… Big Show shouldn’t be THAT type of heel. Furthermore, since Show gave up on making Sheamus lose the shot because then he’d go rampant on him, Show attacking Regal made zero sense.
– I don’t like WWE making that much of a caricature out of Sandow – in commentary they said he graduated from high school at the age of twelve and scored a perfect 1600 on his SATs. He isn’t Sheldon Cooper, he’s just an intellectual. You don’t have to graduate high school at 12 years old to be intelligent.
– Is the Aksana/Kaitlyn match supposed to be the payoff to the blonde assailant storyline?
– Khali & Hornswoggle managed by Natalya… Firstly – Ugh. Secondly – Natalya deserves MUCH better.
– There was no reason for Cesaro to enter first into his match, he is the champion.
– I hope Cesaro’s cliché Anti-America gimmick ends soon, it did the job in getting him over initially, now it’s time for him to have more to him than that.
– Barrett used Jinder Mahal’s finisher on Kofi as a regular move. Pay attention people, see what moves are already in use on the roster and how.
– RyBack used a Spear in the TLC match, but the announcers did all they could to avoid calling it a Spear, probably for Goldbergian reasons. Well, if you care that much about the Goldberg chants, how about just avoiding the Spear altogether?
– Naomi is a spot monkey. The sad thing is she could still add a lot to the divas’ division as it is at the moment.
– Brooklyn Brawler, Miz? Really? Really? Really?
– Brooklyn, Brooklyn, I get that you want Ziggler to win, so do I. But “you can’t wrestle” chants? Isn’t that a bit outdated? It has been proven time and time again that Cena is one of the better wrestlers on the roster. Get sick of him winning, get sick of his gimmick, but don’t try to bend reality. I advise everyone to watch Wrestling with Rosenberg : The Big Show and Wrestling With Rosenberg: CM Punk
in order to realize what Pro Wrestling is about from the eyes of the wrestler. It isn’t just fancy moves – in fact, it’s rarely that at all. After you watch these you should realize, if you’re still in the mindset that was popular 2 years ago that Cena is a bad wrestler, that it is in fact untrue. [I have no earthly idea why the font here is that large, try as I may I was unable to make it normal.]
– BOOGEYMAN! Came out and did nothing…
– NO! NO! NO! Team Hell No should have won LOL moment of the year! NO! Bryan was right! It belongs to him! NO!
– So… 3MB is the new Heath Slater preRAW 1000? Except they’re doing it through 6 men tags?
? Hogan’s segment with Bully, while intense, was badly acted. It was a good effort, but I didn’t really like the result.
? I’m pretty sure 3MB was going for a “so bad, it’s good” approach in the PPV on MizTV. They pulled the first part out, but the jury is still out on the second one. Also – did Del Rio turn babyface? This may be the change he needs to be fresh again.
Weekly Comment Question:
Your question of the week is: Who is your projected/most wanted Breakout Star for 2013 [current upstart to win a World Title]? The nominees are: Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Damien Sandow, Antonio Cesaro, Big E Langston, or anyone of your choosing from the NXT Roster.
Leave your answer in the comments section below, and don’t forget to come back next week for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!