This blog reflects my subjective views and nothing more. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc.
Hello and welcome back to yet another edition of the Weekly Rundown hosted by yours truly, Guy Landau. This is a weekly feature on WrestlingNewsWorld.com where I gloss over the important happenings in the WWE week as it pertains to the 2 major shows, in the form of bulletins for the positive happenings (under the "YES!" column, and prefaced with + signs), the negative happenings (under the "NO!" column, and prefaced with – signs), and the ones I could not decide what they were, but felt they were important enough to comment on (Under the "Maybe?" column, and prefaced with ? signs).
So without further ado, let's get started.
Over The Limit
+ Big YES! on the unique way the PPV started with a battle royal to decide the #1 Contender for the secondary titles – it makes them feel important.
+ It's a small but integral thing: "And now, WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT presents: Over The Limit." World WRESTLING Entertainment. Not WWE, but what the initials used to (and I guess do now, again) stand for.
+ ZigSwag vs. R-Boom was a great match that just goes to show that in wrestling crisp moves are not the most important part of a match – as that match had A LOT of botches and misques, but it was amazing nonetheless.
+ Other than the pacing of it, Beth vs. Layla was – as is to be expected – the best Divas' match in a long time.
+ The finish of the fatal 4 way was very well done, up to the return of "White Noise" after a 2 month hiatus (which I am still on the fence about).
+ Punk vs.Bryanwas perhaps the most brilliantly wrestled match I've ever seen in regards to the chemistry between two people – For so many reasons (some of them are derived from me being a wrestler myself) this match was absolutely beautiful!
+ Both Cena and Show were on during the opening segment, and it was absolutely necessary.
+ This was originally going to be a NO!, but WWE covered it up nicely – Big Show got a verbal agreement on Saturday, signed on Sunday.
+ Finally, Hawkins and Reks are getting TV time. I like Johnny's apparent posse with Show, Rekins and MoD (Millions of Dollars – O'Neil and Young).
+ Ricardo is so awesome. Also – A Del Rio/Santino feud would hold my interest if they intend to make Santino formidable as they have in the past couple of months.
+ Same goes for Orton vs.Jericho. Also – with seemingly bothDel Rioand Orton being busy right now, one has to wonder who will Sheamus face?
+ I LOVE how they had Kane attackBryan! Makes absolute perfect sense in a way WWE usually doesn't. I also loved how Punk paid him back.
+ (Lord) Tensai was much better than in previous weeks in that tag match.
+ Eve is really nailing her role! She paused excellently, she prepared things to say after she was cut off… Great work!
+ RyBack is amazing. Really, he's great.
+ Swagger was REALLY made to look strong against Sheamus in what was an excellent TV match. Well done.
+ Sandow… I think I'm in love.
+ Big Show explained his actions perfectly, and it made a lot of sense. I wouldn't have bood him had I been in the crowd.
Over The Limit
- There's a Tag Team Title match going on in the ring, but let's all focus on Vickie's choice of clothing! (since I can't convey sarcastic tones in writing, I could really use a sarcasm font.)
- I really am completely against Clay feuding with established stars if they aren't prepared to make him lose yet. All it does is bury whoever he's facing.
- This is only a NO! because I hold both Punk and Bryan to such a high regard – Punk locked the figure 4 applying pressure to the wrong leg!
- I was afraid they were going to do this, and they did: Cena vs. Laurinaitis – by all means a wrestling clinic – closed the show. Basically, they had an extended comedy segment (with the most expected twist ever) close the show.
- Big Show is emotional, he sold out out of desperation… And he makes a rhyme about knocking Cena out? It's so obvious someone told him to say that, but out of storyline, and it made no sense considering the condition his character is in.
- Otunga staying on Cena's shoulders for so long for the AA makes zero sense, he took a total of 2 blows beforehand.
- OK, so I was wrong – apparently it'll be Ricardo who feuds with Santino the whole time. I wouldn't mind that either – if the US Champion wasn't a part of a comedy feud.
- Oh, no… Don't tell me they're going to insert Kane intoBryanvs. Punk.
- For the 2nd week in a row – no Teddy, no Aksana, no Cesaro. Huh.
- Sheamus made a mockery of Laurinaitis, now where's his punishment? Or was a match with Swagger it? Because if so than every single wrestler on the roster is being punished weekly.
? This is a very weird happening in OTL that I would love to get an answer for – Why oh why did the crowd chant "Colt Cabana" during the Divas' title match?!
? I am completely torn on the whole Christian Situation – Or Christuation if you will. On one hand, having him return in a battle royal with a sudden face turn is completely undermining him; on the other hand, him holding the now-reestablished IC title as a face could be better for the long run. As long as he gets back to main event status before the year is out, I'll be happy. BUT, that would be debated a little ways down the road on this week's (first official) Weekly Comment Question.
? I am not sure WWE will manage 3 interesting hours of RAW weekly.
? Why oh why did Del Rio drive a British-oriented car? Notice the steering wheel was on the right side of that Rolls Royce.
Weekly Comment Question:
So what do you think of Christian's return as a face? Is it good? Is it bad? Would the return of the "one more match" Christian have been better? How about the new use of the frog splash as a finisher (supposedly instead of the spear)?
Leave your answer in the comment section below, and don't forget to come back next weekend for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!