This blog reflects my subjective views and nothing more. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc.
Hello and welcome back to yet another edition of the Weekly Rundown hosted by yours truly, Guy Landau. This is a weekly feature on WrestlingNewsWorld.com where I gloss over the important happenings in WWE & TNA week as it pertains to the companies' respective major shows, in the form of bulletins for the positive happenings (under the "YES!" column, and prefaced with + signs), the negative happenings (under the "NO!" column, and prefaced with – signs), and the ones I could not decide what they were, but felt they were important enough to comment on (Under the "Maybe?" column, and prefaced with ? signs).
So without further ado, let's get started.
+ The opening segment of RAW was great in leaving question marks about Punk's alignment. Much like his original heel turn, this one takes time, and in my eyes that makes it more effective.
+ While Vickie's segment with Clay was bad, I liked the nod to Seinfeld with Elaine-esque dancing (though it's not the first time). Besides, it was interrupted by the self professed intellectual savior of the unwashed masses and our martyr, Damien Sandow. We're welcome.
+ Even before watching the match, a Jericho & Christian reunion against Miz and Ziggler is a GREAT idea. Same goes for a TV match between Bryan and Sheamus. Well done, creative.
+ Bryan wanting to commit AJ is a great heel reason for the marriage.
+ Notice that Christian and Jericho were in matching colors in black & purple. It's a little thing but it goes a long way. I liked the ending with Christian poking the eye of Miz as retribution. Also, Ziggler being on top afterwards puts the heels over.
+ Gotta admit, the Bryan Goatface Rorschach was funny. And so was Bryan's G.O.A.T response, reminded me of George Watsky… Anyone? No? Alrighty, then.
+ If RAW going 3 hours means we get to see Tyson Kidd weekly then I'm all for it. He wasn't squashed before the decision was reversed – in fact, after the Neckbreaker from the top rope I thought he had the victory. A DQ win is fine by me as well, though.
+ "My prayers have been answered!" So have mine Cole, so have mine... Booker off commentary is a dream come true.
+ I want to give kudos to Tensai – once he saw his arm got accidentally free from the rope he did the logical thing – he hit Sheamus. Then, he allowed Sheamus to re-hook him (while "trying to battle out of it"), making the whole scene much more realistic. He also covered for a couple of Sheamus' screw ups during the match, including Sheamus not getting up fast enough for the planned Brogue Kick finish so they winged it.
+ Much like Monday's tag, I really liked the 6-men on Smackdown, even if it felt thrown together and a bit of a repeat after RAW.
+ I liked the start to Impact a lot. We get an all-out brawl followed by what is by all means a solid opening match (though it was rather long for my taste).
+ Joseph is great. "Don't want to 'kayfab' you, Sting". Awesome!
- The Tron got burned? Perhaps a sign RAW shouldn't go 3 hours? (I am, of course, kidding)
- Del Rio made short work of the freakin' US champion, and in a match full of misqueues no less.
- So the WWE gets a pick of a Street Fight, a No Holds Barred and a Falls Count Anywhere? While FCA is a slightly different match, No Holds Barred and Street Fight are the EXACT same match with different names – and even they aren't that different from FCA. Nice choice of match type, WWE.
- WWE gets an extra hour, so what do they do? Play around 15 replays total from previous weeks.
- While I don't mind Tout too much, it was really rather excessive on RAW.
- I'm admittedly not up to date in my celebrity news, so if anyone could please explain to me what was wrong with A.W.'s "Kobe in a hotel = unstoppable" comment?
- [crowd] "Let's Go Ziggler…" [King, to Vickie applauding Dolph] "Nice try Vickie, who'd cheer that?" [crowd] "… Let's Go Ziggler!"... Remember the "Let's Go Ziggler" King said to be "Let's Go Sheamus"? Well, that was almost as embarrassing.
- 3 hours of RAW, and no time for a single Divas match?!
- Is it just me or were there A LOT of piped in chants on SD?
- How did the people in the back know to queue Tensai's music? When Booker came out Sheamus was not out, and he never announced the match beforehand. How did anyone in the back had a chance to know of this match? If Sheamus coming out was a lucky coincidence for Booker than he should've acknowledged it.
- "Booker T-Long" are our authority figures ladies and gentlemen. We are all doomed.
- The US Champion doesn't know the rules to a wrestling match… nice. It also helps to have him lose three matches in a row.
- What does Storm have to gain from having Kurt taken out by 8A? All it does is make him miss out on an opportunity to gain points.
- Of all the wrestlers to get benefits from Hebner, TNA picked by far the weakest one in that match.
- Wes Brisco is a horrible actor… TNA keeps trying to build on Grade B name recognition, when we all know even Grade A names haven't helped the ratings.
- Claire Lynch is yet another unnecessary person on the already heavy TNA payroll.
- 3rd week straight – TV title isn't defended, and the knockout's champ isn't in a match.
- And again – two commercial breaks in the main event with a 5 seconds interval of actual action between them. What is up with that recent trend?
? I really hope WWE isn't trying to kill the "YES!". Hopefully Bryan asking them to stop was done just to get Bryan heat, and make the chant even more prominent. Depending on WWE's motive, this storyline with Bryan is either a YES! or a NO! (Imagine what a boring blog this will be without that chant... I'll have to go back to Posits and Negs!)
? Notice WWE had Sheamus vs. Bryan cap off the first hour of RAW, Mizgler vs. Christian & Jericho cap off the 2nd one, and Cena vs. Show to end the show. Same philosophy as last week, have a big segment end each hour.
? Why is Kane suddenly (possibly) feuding with Bryan?
Weekly Comment Question:
Your question of the week is going to be: Do you think the "no YES" storyline with Bryan is good or bad?
Leave your answer in the comments section below, and don't forget to come back next weekend for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!