This blog reflects my subjective views and nothing more. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc.
Hello and welcome back to yet another edition of the Weekly Rundown hosted by yours truly, Guy Landau. This is a weekly feature on WrestlingNewsWorld.com where I gloss over the important happenings in WWE & TNA week as it pertains to the companies’ respective major shows, in the form of bulletins for the positive happenings (under the “YES!” column, and prefaced with + signs), the negative happenings (under the “NO!” column, and prefaced with – signs), and the ones I could not decide what they were, but felt they were important enough to comment on (Under the “Maybe?” column, and prefaced with ? signs).
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Money in the Bank
+ Ziggler winning the first MITB
+ Miz inserting himself into the RAW MITB. I was doubtful they’d do that, but I am so glad that they did. He seems to have some newfound confidence to him.
+ Del Rio and Sheamus had a great match with a very basic but solidly done story to it. They had some misques between them, more than you’d expect from a match of this caliber, but they didn’t take away from the match and were covered up well.
+ I liked the tease for Ziggler cashing in. I trust he’ll get his title soon enough, but tonight was just too predictable.
+ Needless to say, Punk vs.Bryanwas great. But it was smart booking to make AJ go out for the middle part, she had nothing to do there and having her just ref would’ve been awkward.
+ Smart to have RyBack be dropped off his feet for the first time in this particular match.
+ Very nice promo to open RAW, Big Show spoke very well (and said a lot of true stuff).
+ I loved every moment of Rikishi’s return, all down to the family dance which I was hoping for when he came out.
+ Miz is a great man to put againstBryanat a point where the fan is thinking he may be turning. Think about the history of both men.
+ Very good segment from Jericho and Ziggler. Only Jericho can turn both face AND heel by being completely silent.
+ Not that it’s surprising, but Wow, is RAW1000 STACKED! IC title match, WWE title match, Bret Hart, Lesnar, Rock, DX, AJ & Bryan’s wedding… That’s the most stacked show I’ve ever seen.
+ Loved Big Show shutting up that loudmouth fan in the front row that was so loud and obnoxious he had to be blipped out.
+ I really liked the opening 8-men tag.
+ Animal! I did not expect that – I actually expected RyBack to come out and decimate Slater.
+ The main event was nice as well.
+ Nice way to use the 8A (short for “8s and Aces” for my writing comfort) in conjunction with Hogan’s completely unrelated surgery.
+ EY is BACK! Now they just need to use him correctly.
+ Very nice match between Anderson and AJ.
+ Claire’s nose was red as Rudolph’s. My guess is she’s off the wagon, and Daniels and Kaz are making her do this and in return supply her whatever it is she’s addicted to. Just to be clear – this is a YES! because of the attention to details and subtle hints, NOT for this telenovellaic storyline. AJ is out in all the photos, she got him drunk and did that.
Money in the Bank
- So there are 4 scheduled matches. 2 MITB, 2 Championship. The rest is impromptu.
- I have to say the SD! MITB disappointed me. There wasn’t a single OMG moment in the match. There were a couple of nice spots, but nothing that looked particularly good.
- We got the obligatory 6 diva tag. And for the love of God, why doesn’t WWE decide whether Natalya is face or heel?!
- Once again, Cena closes the show over both title matches.
- Note to Jericho: When you’re on Cena’s back and he is more or less out, and you’re both inches away from the briefcase, just let go of the man and go for the briefcase. No need to prevent blood flow to the brain for 5 whole minutes beforehand, because someone – say Miz – could use that opportunity to climb when you had the victory.
- I really wanted Miz or Jericho to win…
- So WWE is winging the Tag Team Championship match? They never hyped it… And they are wondering why the Tag Team division isn’t being taken seriously.
- Great, Ryder is back on RAW… by jobbing to Del Rio. Why was that necessary to bring back Mysterio?
- RyBack’s segment was just awkward. No one was sure if it was a match, and it accomplished nothing. Both men ended up looking weak.
- Brodus Clay’s win over JTG accomplished SO much…
- Cena cashes in next week. That means that Punk’s reign ends, Cena’s 20th begins, and he doesn’t even turn heel for it. Either that or MITB will lose it’s luster by having the first ever MITB loser in Cena. Either way – Lovely.
- I hate the 619. The opening segment showed how unrealistic the set up to it is. Rey is back and suddenly people happen to fall conveniently between the top and middle ropes? If anything, that’d happened BEFORE he returned, but now I’d assume people will want to be more careful.
- I think R-Truth missed the point of timely stealth. He waited not just until Camacho turned around, but Camacho actually started throwing a punch before R-Truth got through with his dancing – and I think there was some edit work involved so Truth would look like he hit Camacho in a timely manner.
- How lucky for WWE that there were cameras accompanying AJ and Bryan on their wedding planning.
- I wanted to seeBryanvs. Christian… And when was Kane AJ’s boyfriend? Finally, I am really hoping they aren’t rehashing this with the “look” AJ and Kane shared AGAIN.
- What was the point of having Vickie yell at Ricardo?
- Hardy vs. Robbie E was terrible because of both men. They didn’t call spots clearly and Just worked way too soft.
- I asked before and I’ll ask again – Is Magnus heel or face?
- Same as last week – the main event had 2 commercial breaks with 10 seconds apart!
- Right finish to Roode vs. Aries (in that neither lost), but there comes a point where 8A is just getting overexposured to the point where this angle is only starting and already I’m sick of it. Also – am I the only one reminded of Nexus?
? I have to make note of a sign that was at MITB, because it was either extremely off or extremely spot on. The sign was “Damien Sandow is write”. I don’t know if the righter (see what I did there?) made that mistake on purpose, and if so he is a genius because he is referring to the spelling issues (and using the word “write” of all things), or he is extremely pretentious in thinking Sandow is right but not even being able to spell “right” properly.
? I liked the Tag Team match at MITB between The Colonz and PTP, but I doubt a regular fan wants to see such a long match. They got bored of it quickly, and I can’t blame them. Yes, this is PPV, but the fans don’t want to see long matches when there’s nothing on the line in any way.
?Bryan’s MITB attire. It’s just… Yeah.
? Speaking ofBryan, his behavior on RAW leaves a lot of questions. Is AJ still crazy? She didn’t show any signs of crazy on RAW, andBryan’s sudden face turn… the whole thing is weird. I will, however, give this marriage angle a chance.Bryancould go through this whole thing just to hurt AJ as revenge for making him lose the match.
? Did they turnJerichoas well on RAW? What is going on, it’s the second turn of the night!
? A8 has the potential to be very good, or very bad. They are obviously getting a lot of screen time, so it’s going to be big, but I can’t judge the storyline by it’s tease, good or bad. I hope not every week will be like this in terms of screen time for faceless folks.
Weekly Comment Question:
Your question of the week is going to be: What are you most excited for in RAW1000 on Monday?
Leave your answer in the comments section below, and don’t forget to come back next weekend for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!