This blog reflects my subjective views and nothing more. If you disagree with me, feel free to voice your opinion in a civil manner in the comments section.
Hello and welcome to The Weekly Rundown hosted by yours truly, Guy Landau. This is a weekly feature on WrestlingNewsWorld.com where I gloss over the important happenings in the week in WWE & TNA as it pertains to the companies' respective major shows... and NXT, in the form of bulletins for the positive happenings (under the "YES!" column, and prefaced with + signs), the negative happenings (under the "NO!" column, and prefaced with – signs), and the ones I could not decide what they were, but felt they were important enough to comment on (Under the "Maybe?" column, and prefaced with ? signs).
So without further ado, let's get started.
+ Kassius Ohno gets it. He knows his character, he knows his offense, he makes sense 100% in the ring at all times. This is what I like to see. I can’t wait for Regal vs. Kassius.
+ Summer Rae is a GREAT wrestler.
+ While we all knew it was going to happen, the build towards Bully being revealed as the president of A&8 was superb.
+ Great opening promo by Bully.
+ Some might think it disrespecting, but I loved Bad Influence’s imitation of LOD.
+ AJ Styles returned! While I’d prefer to see what I predicted would be a resurgence of the X-Division with him and RVD, as long as he’s getting TV time I am fine with it. Well, that’s not true as that sort of talk got us Claire Lynch.
+ Joseph Park is still a great character.
+ Aries vs. Sting was an awesome match.
+ Great to see a wrestling show opening up with a match instead of a promo. The subtleties in that match were brilliant by Rhodes Scholars, referencing past feuds.
+ I might get flak for this, but I like Maddox being on announce. I think he is getting undeservedly buried by the IWC, and even his brain fart on RAW wasn’t as bad in my eyes as some, and the announcers, made it out to be. I think he is a commodity.
+ Ziggler is finally back on the winning track. But what happened to the Superkick?
+ Rodriguez and Del Rio’s parodies are just great.
+ Once again – I might get flak for this, but I like what they are doing with Fandango. He’s definitely drawing heat.
+ Unlike the beatdown we saw on Impact – Shield attacking Orton and Sheamus is how you beat down people realistically.
+ Thank God WWE corrected the wrong from Smackdown. RyBack vs. Henry is better than RyBack vs. The Shield, again.
+ Did you hear that heat for Fandango?! This wait thing is getting him over like rover!
+ Great way to get the differences between R-Truth and Damien Sandow across with that pre-match promo.
+ CM Punk is REALLY pushing the line about Taker.
+ AJ is back into Bryan & Kane’s lives?! YES!
+ Jericho mocking Fandango was priceless. I hope this isn’t the beginning of a feud though, both can do better for ‘Mania. Fandango would be better served either off the card or fighting someone lower on the totem pole, and Jericho would be better served with a high caliber feud.
+ Rodriguez sold the Ankle lock superbly. I think it was better than anyone I have ever seen.
+ WWE inducting Booker T. Also, WWE using “We coming for you” in the video package. Those of you who know the clip understand why I like them using it in particular.
+ Ziggler has a winning streak going, finally. And Ziggler & Big E. vs. Hell No? YES!
+ While I hate that this is not taken for granted by us, it’s good to see a secondary title match close the show. When was the last time that happened? I think this match single handedly restored some prestige to the IC title.
- Bray Wyatt needs to win more before having his weaknesses exposed if he wants to get over as a character. I am very much against him losing to Bo Dallas.
- I’m not sure how I feel about Taryn Tarrell’s Shane Sewell/Ms. Tessmacher hybrid storyline. I feel like it’s been done before and I feel like nothing really good can come of this.
- Wait… Firing A&8 was an option all along? Well, this should have been a very short storyline, then.
- Storm’s mic… that would never had happened in the ‘E without a proper replacement handy.
- Both brawls on the show – the attack on Angle and the final segment – were done REALLY weakly.
- Why is RyBack reintroduced to The Shield’s feud? Is there really nothing better for him on the card? What about Henry?
- Swagger’s greenness showed during his match with Jericho. He very poorly recovered from some sort of botched spot. I wouldn’t have known there was a botch if it wasn’t for Swagger’s poor recovery. Also, his corner running knee strike looks horrid, someone should tell him that with knee strikes you don’t have to protect your opponent that much. Put your hip into it, Swagger!
- What was up with that opening segment? It started out OK, but then PTP came out and did something REALLY unrelated to anything. Titus was entertaining, it was just… Weird. And all so that we can get a squash match?
- RyBack has stopped putting his all into his squash matches. While the Powerslam was nice, the rest of RyBack’s offense flat out sucked.
- Fandango didn’t care when Justin Roberts butchered his name. Way to keep character. Even if he’s going to debut regardless of how Roberts pronounces his name, it should still bother him.
- There were some major faults and lapses in judgement in Rhodes/Del Rio that I can’t overlook. A superplex from the second rope is… well, impossible. The beginning where Del Rio had control over Cody was also unrealistic. In the beginning of the match you can’t possibly have the amount of control necessary for a magistral cradle. There are other examples, but the main issue here is both men didn’t give it their all and quit on a few moments in the match. They knew they were doing something wrong, but they just “let it slide”. However, some of the spot calling was superb in its execution (you’ll never tell they were calling spots with the naked eye), so I’ll give them that. I took some notes for myself on calling. Then again, they also had some horrendous spot-calling. Overall –these two are capable of much more than that.
- What the hell was up with the fans chanting “USA” after Swagger’s attack to Del Rio?!
- Is it just me or is ‘Mania shaping up to be very “meh”?
? Jury’s still out on Rob Terry’s new dancin’ and dominatin’ gimmick.
? I’m not sure how I feel about TNA using inside terms on TV as often as they have been lately. Just in the past week we’ve heard “over”, “mark”, “cheap pop” and “heel” used on programming.
Weekly Comment Question:
Your question of the week is: Should insider terms such as face, heel, mark etc. be used on TV on a regular basis?
Leave your answer in the comments section below, and don't forget to come back next week for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!