Feel free to do your own rundown via the comment section in the future (writing little notes as you watch the shows could be very engaging and fun – give it a try and tell us via the comment section what you wound up with)
A reminder: This blog reflects MY views, and my views alone. It is by no means objective. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Let’s get some healthy debates going. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc.
Hello everyone and welcome back to the Wrestling News World Weekly Rundown. This is your feature where you can read my thoughts of the week that was in professional wrestling – most specifically WWE (as these will be a lot longer, and more negative if I wrote up… or at all watched Impact Wrestling). So without further ado, let’s get to the action with the Constants:
+ Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, CM Punk, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Sheamus and Wade Barrett are the future of WWE – they are all total packages, both in the ring and on the mic.
+ Kane’s profound promos; He always has deep psychological layers to each of his promos.
+ NEW WWE’s video packages are ALWAYS great.
+ AJ, forever and always. This also leads nicely into:
– Matt “The Choice” Andrews. It’s a shame, really. I could like Matt… If only he’d leave AJ alone.
– Ted DiBiase’s theme music. He’s face for God’s sake!
– Stereotypical foreigner gimmicks. They are distasteful and dated.
– The way announcing currently is in the WWE. In fact, the only announcer I can stand right now is Josh Mathews.
– Aksana’s cliché role that doesn’t seem to be really going anywhere.
– “The Royal Rumble winner gets to main event Wrestlemania” is a fallacy, and has been this way for several years now. For the past 5 or so years (6 if we include this year – as Sheamus will NOT main event Wrestlemania, but Rock vs. Cena will), the winner of the Rumble has rarely actually main evented ‘Mania. See the Jan 21st Rundown for a detailed look at the how many winners in the past seven years main evented ‘Mania (hint: 1).
– The way Divas are handled, so you’ll always see a divas’ reference in the posits as it will always be different from the Neg norm.
? Drew McIntyre’s storyline. This will likely change very soon when(if) we see where it goes.
And with that out of the way, let’s get to this week’s Posits!
+ Despite the advertised Bryan vs. Punk match opening the show (see Negs), the Punk/Jericho promo that preceded it was AMAZING.
+ I like Punk vs. Bryan not going to a clean finish ever, it leaves the door open for a future match/feud between the two – and puts Bryan over. All in all the entire extended opening segment (up to the end of Bryan vs. Punk) was well executed.
+ Cena vs. Miz.
+ Primo and Epico came out last for their title defense. That is how title matches should ALWAYS be done. It was the right outcome as well, as they actually get to DEFEND the belts once in a while without dropping them immediately.
+ Michaels is back next week – a HIAC WITH Michaels as the guest ref?! I’m actually not too sure about that, it may be overkill for the match – I’d go for the either-or approach – Michaels or HIAC.
+ Rock’s promo was good… Not as good as Cena’s promo the previous week in my humble opinion – and I think Cena’s rebuttle was also great (can’t say that about Rock’s response to said rebuttal – he stumbled over his words WAY too much) but it was good nonetheless. I am sorry, I guess this is the time to say that I am pro-Cena in this feud, and in general. I dislike the (now, at least up to ‘Mania, former) Childish corny character, but as a performer both in the ring and on the mic he is the absolute best there is in WWE today. I feel like Rock’s wrist-notes have been talked about enough, and as I have nothing to add I will purposefully not address them.
+ Sheamus remembers WWE history! And he even incorporated it logically into the current storylines! Very well done, creative could learn from that/do that more often if it was their idea.
+ Sheamus vs. Ziggler was GREAT! It put both men over and made them both look strong. One thing that bothered me though was the great mistiming I will talk about in the Negs.
+ Big Show vs. Rhodes for the title at WM really adds to the value of the IC title, and Rhodes himself.
+ Show vs. Henry was a great match. I think those two don’t get credit for the amazing matches they put on with each other, tarnished solely by bad booking.
+ I know I said I wouldn’t get into announcers, but I want to address Booker T’s cease and desist on the term “D-Bryan”. As soon as the match started I thought – “wait a minute – D-Bryan was a term by booker to get Bryan over, to make him more charismatic. Not only is that an insult insinuating Bryan can’t get over on his own, but it’s no longer relevant, seeing as he’s “main eventing” ‘Mania. Why is Booker still doing it?” The thing is, I thought that exactly 5 seconds before Booker stated he’d stop calling him that. Regardless of this being an amazing coincidence, it’s something I feel was long overdue.
+Orton vs. Bryan was a good match that made Bryan seem like an equal to Orton.
Now – no more Mr. Nice Guy (Landau). It’s time fore the Negs!
– So to OPEN the show we get a freakin’ WM main event worthy match which we’ve seen 3 times in the past month? Way to add value to your main titles. World Champions collide… On RAW’s opener. While the GMs talking in the background and interfering is apparently more important than the actual match.
– WOW! Did you see that tug by Laurinaitis on Santino’s shirt? He flew MILES off that one. I’ll advise those of you who missed it to go back and watch it… and laugh, and laugh.
– Swagger was FINALLY back on RAW this past Monday… With very little mention of him being US Champion. Once again, devalues the title. If you want to make Ziggler and Swagger a tag team now, don’t have Swagger holding the US title in the process.
– Theodore Long called Laurinaitis a “Horse’s Ass” – and the crowd chanted it. Lovely.
– Dashing Chocolate vs. Showmus lasted all of a minute… All of which buried Henry, who (as apparent by his corresponding Posit on Smackdown) deserves so much more than he is getting.
– This I think the brand “battle” is given a bit of an overexposure
– Did they just… Turn Natalya into the flatulent Babyface?! THAT IS SO WRONG! ON OH SO MANY LEVELS!
– Finally the match we’ve all been waiting for since Kane returned. Next week, it’s Kane vs…. AKSANA!
And all that’s left is the Queschies:
? I really hope they’re going somewhere with the Kane angle. I didn’t mind him squashing everyone in the tag match because it was a grueling match, it didn’t make them look weak in my eyes.
? Drew is fired? I assume Laurinaitis will rehire him next week, but then what? I still want to see where this angle goes eventually!
? What is going on with Kane? Is he going to wrestle Orton, is he going to just squash guys up to ‘Mania? If it is Orton, what was the point of the Monday squash? Also, the way he moved on from Cena, while necessary, is illogical.
This was a sweet & sour week – we had some good booking, and some questionable booking. However, when given time I find that recently the wrestling in WWE has been very top tier, with the only exceptions being matches that are too short, or matches that involve Khali.
Well – this was it for this week. Be sure to tune in next Saturday for next week’s rundown – also, if you have something you want to argue or point out, you are very much encouraged to do so in the comments section, as long as you keep it civil as fitting of this site.