This blog reflects MY views, and my views alone. It is by no means objective. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Let’s get some healthy debates going. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc. Feel free to do your own rundown via the comment section in the future (writing little notes as you watch the shows could be very engaging and fun – give it a try and tell us via the comment section what you wound up with)
Hello everyone and welcome back to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Weekly Rundown. This is your feature where you can read my thoughts of the week that was in professional wrestling – most specifically WWE (as these will be a lot longer, and more negative if I wrote up… or at all watched Impact Wrestling). So without further ado, let’s get to the action with the Constants:
+ Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, CM Punk, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Sheamus and Wade Barrett are the future of WWE – they are all total packages, both in the ring and on the mic.
+ WWE’s video package.
+ AJ, forever and always. This also leads nicely into:
– Matt “The Choice” Andrews. It’s a shame, really. I could like Matt… If only he’d leave AJ alone.
– The way announcing currently is in the WWE. In fact, the only announcer I can stand right now is Josh Mathews.
– Aksana’s cliché role that doesn’t seem to be really going anywhere.
– “The Royal Rumble winner gets to main event Wrestlemania” is a fallacy, and has been this way for several years now. For the past 5 or so years the winner of the Rumble has NEVER actually main evented ‘Mania.
– The way Divas are handled
? Drew McIntyre’s storyline. This will likely change very soon when(if) we see where it goes.
And with that out of the way, let’s get to this week’s Posits!
+ Michaels is the special guest ref after an outstanding, if a bit drawn out promo. I still think it’s a bit of an overkill with the HIAC stipulation, and honestly I’d have given up on the HIAC to make this match completely story-driven, as it should be.
+ The Tag match between the ‘Mania World Title matches participants shows exactly why these men are main eventers.
+ Cena’s Promo to end the show… Is it just me, or is Cena owning Rock on the mic at every turn? Rock’s a rhetorican; Nothing more. He knows how to get the crowd riled up… over nothing. Cena speaks right through that, basically stating it out loud – The Rock is all flash and no substance right now on the mic, And he tries to hide it by doing Rock things. He’s Charismatic, but that’s about it.
+ The opener sort of made up for the travesty RAW made of the US title (see first RAW neg). I was worried they’d do a title change again, but fortunately that didn’t happen. The fact that the match got a commercial break made it feel like the big match it should’ve been.
+ McIntyre Won! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xRP3BfV4U4
And we know his stock is higher than Slater’s, as he didn’t lose to Hornswoggle. So that’s… Something. Right?!
+ The tag match made me realize how the Tag Division is going in the right direction, as having the champs lose seems like a big deal now, and both teams look like actual tag teams (once Kofi & R-Truth get a tag name and matching gear, as their styles seem to fit nicely together). Also, this is a great position for both Kingston and R-Truth to iron out the kinks in their in-ring psychology.
+ Bryan’s character is really starting to take a demented turn… I like it. Now, I’ll be the knight in shining armor to come and rescue AJ from his prying evil hands. Regardless, the Sheamus/Bryan segment was good.
+ The 6-man tag match had amazing psychology if nothing else – and that’s saying something because it had A LOT else. But the way the match was structured was psychologically amazing – kudos to all involved.
Now – no more Mr. Nice Guy (Landau). It’s time fore the Negs!
– So Swagger loses the US title in his first defense, to Santino? I was willing to give WWE a chance in taking the title off of Ryder, but obviously it was a huge mistake. Unless they are going to build Santino up (which I am all for but am doubtful it’ll happen), this devalues the US title after Ziggler and Ryder worked so hard to bring prestige back to it. Not to mention the further devaluation of the Swagger-Bomb with people kicking out of it left and right. I hope after there is a single GM WWE will unify the US and IC titles under Rhodes to create a single midcard title with the prestige the IC title used to have; Because the US title is an absolute joke right now.
– Eve wins what appears to be a Last Man Standing match with Fox with what seemed like a 10 count pinfall. This wasn’t the performers’ faults at all, it was all because of the ref. (whom I later read was fresh off FCW).
– So Kane vs. R-Truth squash was RAW’s main event? Lovely…
– Rock’s live promo work… See the reference in the posit about Cena.
– Booker made notice of it throughout the opener – Steel Cage matches with the door stipulation DO NOT WORK. There is no reason whatsoever that any cage match with the door stipulation will last over 3 minutes realistically.
– The whole saga with Long and Laurinaitis and their match tonight was really pointless… There are so many better ways to handle this feud that don’t make Long look like an ass, for one, and have illogical booking for the sake of what creative wants on screen. I mean, there is no reason Kane would come out
– Sheamus vs. Bryan as a feud: I just don’t think their feud has enough ground to stand on. I still think it would’ve been better to have Barrett win the Chamber and face Sheamus – that feud practically writes itself – and Bryan could’ve been put in so many other matches – off the top of my head a triple threat for the IC title with Rhodes & Show, or a 1 on 1 with Orton. Here I just think they’re trying too hard to grind water – there isn’t really a feud here to work off of.
And all that’s left is the Queschies:
? Ryder is back, but boy was his return lackluster. Wherever they take this, Ryder is in no way back in the US title picture level. It may be interesting though, so for now this is Queschied and not Negged.
? The order of entrances in the RAW Tag Team Main Event match was interesting – in both teams the champions entered before the opposing brand’s challenger.
? I am waiting on commenting on the burial of Miz because it may lead to a storyline to take him out of the rut.
? When Khali was standing next to McIntyre – McIntyre wasn’t that much smaller than him. One has to wonder, with the level of McIntyre’s work, his look, and his size – why is this man not main eventing yet?
I don’t know if it’s me finding my spot in this relatively new role I took of writing weekly opinions or is it the ‘Mania build, but these have been getting a lot shorter lately. The average for points in each category has slimmed down to a sexy 5, and I think I like it that way. Let’s hope it remains that way, and perhaps I’ll make 5 big points (a paragraph each) a show, if it comes to that. Oh well, this week was pretty good in my eyes, with good wrestling and a premise that on the surface appears promising. Did it deliver? In some areas yes, in others no. This week had god wrestling regardless, and as usual – questionable booking. What did you think of the switcharoo? Did it get you more excited about the GMs feud? Answer in the comment section below.