Feel free to do your own rundown via the comment section in the future (writing little notes as you watch the shows could be very engaging and fun – give it a try and tell us via the comment section what you wound up with)
A reminder: This blog reflects MY views, and my views alone. It is by no means objective. If you disagree – which is encouraged – feel free to voice your opinion (in a civil manner) in the comments section. Let’s get some healthy debates going. Also, I am always open to constructive criticism of the writing format, phrasing, etc.
Hello everyone and welcome back to the Wrestling News World Weekly Rundown. This is your feature where you can read my thoughts of the week that was in professional wrestling – most specifically WWE (as these will be a lot longer, and more negative if I wrote up… or at all watched Impact Wrestling). So let’s get to the action with the Constants:
+ Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, CM Punk, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Sheamus and Wade Barrett are the future of WWE – they are all total packages, both in the ring and on the mic.
+ Kane’s gimmick; as you’ve probably noticed, every promo the resurrected Kane has given so far has been given a correlating psychological analysis of human nature by me. Glenn Jacobs is a really intelligent person, and I am sure those correlations are no accident.
+ Brodus Clay’s character, when they don’t just waste time with it.
NEW + Big Show’s shuffle side kicks.
+ AJ, forever and always. This also leads nicely into:
- Matt “The Choice” Andrews. It’s a shame, really. I could like Matt… If only he’d leave AJ alone.
- Ted DiBiase’s theme. He’s face for God’s sake!
- Stereotypical foreigner gimmicks. They are distasteful and dated.
- The way announcing currently is in the WWE. That means random jabs at Cole and Booker T are implied when not said outright (but this is not limited to Cole and Booker – it’s the whole way announcing is handled. For example, King’s treatment of the divas is borderline sexual harassment – and he’s a face!).
- Aksana’s cliché role that doesn’t seem to be really going anywhere.
- “The Royal Rumble winner gets to main event Wrestlemania” is a fallacy, and has been this way for several years now. For the past 5 or so years, the winner of the Rumble has rarely actually main evented ‘Mania. See the Jan 21st Rundown for a detailed look at the how many winners in the past seven years main evented ‘Mania (hint: 1).
- the way Divas are handled. Unless I state otherwise for a particular week know that I am very much displeased with the Divas’ division in the WWE.
NEW – The Great Khali. ’nuff said
? Drew McIntyre’s storyline. This will likely change very soon when/if we see where it goes.
And with that out of the way, let’s get to this week’s Posits!
+ The RAW opening segment was intriguing if nothing else. Sure, it was long, but I’m excited about Taker-HHH III just for the story the match will tell. It has the possibility of being one of the best stories ever told through a match.
+ Bryan Entered 2nd in the opener, as befitting a World Champion. Also – a fan at ringside yelled “Jay Lethal’s girl!” at AJ, which was funny. He probably meant “Guy Landau’s girl”, but I’ll let it slide.
+ Cole seems to be backing off of his recent coming around to Bryan. That is very reassuring.
+ Bryan vs. Show was great, though it should have been the main event, and given more time
+ The Elimination Chamber promo video. It made me really excited… Until I saw Khali in it…
+ Jericho trolled all of us. Brilliant promo, if a bit disappointing in regards to the riddle of the encrypted videos. Punk’s response to it, however… THAT was pure genius. This is obviously booked by both Punk and Jericho, and will be as much of a quality feud as Jericho vs. Michaels.
+ HBK is back next week! Will set up HHH vs. ‘Taker nicely with the probable special guest referee stipulation…
+ Kofi is really improving his work rate lately. He seems to be developing crisper psychology and actually seems to be calling some of his spots now. Good for him! Now if only he’d stop with the double chop in his comeback sequence…
+ Oh, how I missed Jericho’s “ask him!”s.
+ Sheamus and Barrett in the opening segment. And if history is any indication, Barrett will win the Elimination Chamber match and go on to continue what he started with Sheamus here. He was the only one to directly combat Sheamus.
+ Mahal is really improving – he made a match with Khali watchable! Granted, it was short – thankfully – but what I saw could have remained entertaining 5 minutes in.
+ Tamina is Beth’s Elimination Chamber feud before Kharma… Just why aren’t they making any mention of Kharma? She appeared in the Rumble, after all.
+ All the different videos for Rock and Cena are absolutely amazing.
+ The Chamber tag match from SD! was great, and Sheamus’ subtle mannerisms were spot on. The end spot where he doesn’t know what is going on behind him, looks, and then goes back to Barrett was timed perfectly. It’s a little, nitpicky thing, but such things are what makes Wrestling great.
+ Cole still doesn’t like Bryan, and the subtleties of Bryan’s actions have been brilliant. Notice he only came to AJ’s aid when Cole started talking trash about him.
Now – no more Mr. Nice Guy (Landau). It’s time fore the Negs!
- Bryan vs. Big Show from RAW isn’t an opener, it’s a main event on almost any given night – Or at least further up the card than the tag match with the other 4 participants as Bryan is the world champion, in a one on one match. Speaking of said tag match, Khali pinning Rhodes is a crying shame.
- How many matches were there on RAW? Not enough, I assure you. On a quick count I think 4, one of which was a squash. So much they could’ve done to fill the gap. Where was Swagger – you know, the man holding the second most prestigious title in RAW?
- R-Truth’s fall… Ouch. It looked like it could easily cause a concussion. Glad it didn’t though.
- Why is Ziggler taking all the falls lately?! First on He’s really dropping down the card it seems and I for one do not like it one bit.
- So much of the crowd reactions on SD! sounded canned…
- The Vegan Vicar gimmick seems to be staying, unfortunately. And while he has his subtleties, he also has very obviously cowardly actions, and his character should not be like that.
- Bryan looked too weak in the match with Orton. The finish was the right way to go (as in – the DQ) but Bryan was never really in control.
- Where were the Funkasaurus and Drew McIntyre?! (the latter being more important)
And now all that’s left is the Queschies:
? I have no queschies for this week, which in itself is quite a quarry… But that means that I do have a queschie – regarding not having queschies (half of you probably gave up by now… Can’t say I blame you). Well, in that case I DO have a queschie, but that makes the whole queschie about not having queschies redundant as I do have a queschie. But that means I don’t have a queschie, which re-raises said queschie, and repeat. That logical loop was a clever cover-up to not having anything to write in this part of the blog.
This was a strange week. While it had a lot of developments, it seems like nothing has really happened. Orton vs. Bryan was a big let down in terms of work quality and booking, I have to say, and the RAW main event was decent at best as well. The week was pretty blah as far as wrestling is concerned, but it was mostly a set up week for RAW next week and the Chamber the following week. Let’s hope next week will show an upward trend. This week was really light on wrestling, and let’s hope that does not carry out into next week.