- WWE posted a worked article over on dot com that Brodus Clay suffered a “Grade II medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear in his left knee” after David Otunga’s attack on him from this week’s Smackdown. The website notes Clay will still work the No Way Out pre-show match but will do so in a brace and will undergo rehabilitation over “the next several weeks.” Click here for dot com’s fictional update.
- Wrestling News World reader Sam sent word that WWE is advertising WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan in a submission match for the title and John Cena vs. Big Show w/John Laurinaitis for their upcoming Australian tour this August/September.
- Wrestling News World reader Dave L sent word as of Friday WWE has canceled their wwe.swagbucks.com website, however, all points are still redeemable at SwagBucks.com
- Wrestling News World reader Fernando sent this in… NorthJersey.com features an interview with WWE Diva and fellow New Jersey native AJ Lee. She talks about hard times growing up in her hometown of Union City and her hopes to be in Wrestlemania XXIX and leave her mark. Click here to read it.
- There are preliminary plans for the revamped WWE NXT to take over Florida Championship Wrestling’s slot on The Brighthouse Network in Florida.
- Josh Stewart of News Day has a new article online featuring quotes from Curt Hawkins to promote tomorrow night’s Raw Supershow in Long Island, New York. In the piece, Hawkins discusses heat from the Midcard Mafia Web series featuring him and Tyler Reks.
“It was within the same mold as Zack [Ryder],” Hawkins, who now lives in Queens, said of the project. “You can’t just duplicate it. That’s not going to work. We brainstormed a different idea. Tyler is very talented with computer animation. I kind of wrote and edited it. We just crossed the line a little bit too much. In a way it worked because we were at the bottom of the totem pole. Even if we brought in a negative light, we brought a light, to some degree.”
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- To update on the DirecTV issues I mentioned earlier, I was unable to order WWE No Way Out through their system (online or phone). I was told by a customer support representative their system was down and while engineers were working to resolve the issue, I could try to order again in an “hour or two.” I ended up ordering the Webcast on WWE.com that is now airing. In case you are wondering, I didn’t try and order from my receiver because I don’t put pay-per-views on my cable bill.
- Titus O’Neil & Darren Young, the Prime Time Players, became the number one contenders for the WWE Tag Team Championship after winning a fatal 4-way match at Sunday’s No Way Out pay-per-view. After the match, O’Neil and Young aligned with Abraham Washington.
- Triple H officially challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at SummerSlam at Sunday night’s WWE No Way Out pay-per-view. SummerSlam 2012 will take place Sunday, August 19, 2012 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. We’ll have exclusive live play-by-play coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- As the storyline goes, John Laurinaitis was “fired” from WWE at No Way Out per John Cena’s victory over Big Show in their steel cage match. Following the finish, Mr. McMahon made the “termination” official.
- Lita, former WWF Women’s Champion Madusa and rapper DMC from Run DMC were all at WWE No Way Out Sunday night in New Jersey.
- Former TNA talent Amazing Red worked out for WWE producers at the Izod Center on Sunday afternoon.
- John Cena’s father, John Cena, Sr., head-butted Daniel Bryan at Saturday night’s WWE Supershow live event in Lowell, Massachusetts.
- Ryback’s opponents at No Way Out were independent workers Dan Echos and John Silver.
- Kelly Kelly was at Sunday’s LA Dodgers game against the Chicago White Sox at Dodgers Stadium with her father and boyfriend Sheldon Souray (of the NHL’s Dallas Stars). Kelly Tweeted a photo of her front-row seats that you can view at this link.
- Wade Barrett, who has a role in the new Colin Farrell film co-financed by WWE Studios, was spotted in Philadelphia this weekend. Barrett is in the city where filming for the project is taking place. For a new update, click here.
- Tensai was asked on Twitter if the “Albert” chants bothered him. Below is his response:
@CMPuLs3 Not at all.Why would they?It’s who I was.Glad they remember.
— Matthew Bloom (@GiantBernard) June 12, 2012
- I’m told the plan as of 6 PM EDT Sunday evening was for Daniel Bryan to win the triple-threat match at WWE No Way Out to become the WWE Champion. There were a few reasons CM Punk ended up retaining at the last minute but one of the main reasons had to do with the touring schedule for live events.
- While WWE producers were more than aware of the crowd chants for Dolph Ziggler in his World Heavyweight Championship match against Sheamus, I’m told no matter “how loud” the crowd support is, he will be pushed when he is ready. My source says the feeling in WWE is they won’t have their hand forced although their hand is being forced due to the lack of top talent.
- “Rowdy” Roddy Piper is at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York and is expected to be used on tonight’s Raw Supershow.
- Randy Orton is being advertised by WWE for the July 30th Raw Supershow taping in Cincinnati and the July 31st Smackdown taping in Indianapolis. He is back on advertisements on dot com’s live events section for several events this summer, including SummerSlam on August 19th from Los Angeles. Orton is currently out serving a 60-day suspension for what WWE is calling his second strike under their Wellness Program.
- Mick Foley will serve as the “interim General Manager” on this week’s Smackdown as he did on this week’s Raw Supershow in place of the “fired” John Laurinaitis. According to Foley’s promo on Monday’s Raw Supershow, past General Managers will be brought in until the board of directors “picks a suitable replacement” for Laurinaitis.
- WWE announced that Chris Jericho will return to the company on next week’s Raw Supershow. While announcing Jericho’s return, it was announced Fozzy’s upcoming album “Sin and Bones” is due out August 14, 2012. Jericho was suspended from WWE for 30 days on May 25, 2012 for “denigrating the Brazilian flag” at a WWE live event in São Paulo on May 24th.
- THQ issued the following press release about Mike Tyson’s inclusion in WWE ’13:
Mike Tyson Returns to the Ring – In WWE® ’13
Renowned “Baddest Man on the Planet” to Make Flagship WWE Videogame Franchise Debut Through Exclusive Pre-Order Offer
AGOURA HILLS, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Jun. 19, 2012– The campaign premise of “Live the Revolution” continues, as THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced the return of the incomparable Mike Tyson to the ring – virtually – in WWE® ’13, the revolutionary next installment in the WWE flagship videogame franchise. Often touted as the “baddest man on the planet,” the boxing legend and former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world will be available as an exclusive playable character for consumers who pre-order the videogame at any participating retailer in the United States or Canada for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system or the Wii™ system from Nintendo (while supplies last).
Tyson made headlines with WWE (NYSE: WWE) in early 1998 as part of the company’s groundbreaking “Attitude Era,” a time period prominently featured in WWE ’13 through a brand new single-player campaign. He is best remembered for his appearances leading up to and at WrestleMania® XIV, where he was recruited by D-Generation X (DX) to serve as a ringside enforcer during the main event match between DX member Shawn Michaels® and Stone Cold Steve Austin® for the WWE Championship. Tyson, sporting a sleeveless DX t-shirt and black jeans – the same look as his playable character in WWE ’13 – interfered in the match, allowing Austin to secure the victory and ultimately abandoning his presumed alliance with the renegade faction. Tyson returned to WWE on January 11, 2010 as a guest host on Monday Night Raw® and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 2, 2012.
“As one of the most dominant champions in boxing history and one of the most memorable guests to ever be featured on WWE programming, Mike Tyson led an incredible revolution that changed the way fans perceive the sport,” said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President, Global Brand Management, THQ. “He was a tremendous addition to the ‘Attitude Era’ and is certain to attract a wide variety of fans to ‘live the revolution’ offered in WWE ’13.”
“The baddest man on the planet is back – and only in WWE ’13,” said Mike Tyson. “Fans everywhere can now relive what I experienced during the ‘Attitude Era.’”
About WWE ’13
Positioned to offer the most authentic, extensive and fervent experience to date, WWE ’13 will transform gameplay through WWE Live™, a brand-new audio and presentation system designed to produce the most authentic and vibrant commentary, sound effects and crowd participation levels ever heard in a WWE videogame. In addition, players will experience the atmosphere, spectacle and fervor of a WWE live event through attention-grabbing Spectacular Moments, including ring breaks and barricade crashes.
WWE ’13 will also debut a franchise-first single player campaign based on an unparalleled and groundbreaking period in WWE history: the “Attitude Era.” Set during a time of pure raucousness, grandiose personalities and colossal revolution, players will focus on eight purveyors of attitude during the famed television “Monday Night Wars,” including WWE Hall of Famer Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Predator Technology™ 2.0, driven by new animations, transitions and modified controls, will return to deliver intelligent, fluid and engaging WWE action, resulting in a smoother gameplay experience than its predecessors. As well, the popular career-style mode, WWE Universe, will dynamically introduce matches, alliances, rivalries and unpredictable moments based on player decisions along the path toward becoming a WWE champion.
WWE ’13 will feature the franchise’s industry-defining Creation Suite, enabling players to develop and customize Superstars, entrances, arenas, finishing moves, storylines, highlight reels and more, as well as share and download creations with others from around the world. Furthermore, they will compete with a vast array of WWE Superstars and “Attitude Era” luminaries from the largest roster in franchise history, including cover Superstar CM Punk®, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Sheamus®, Undertaker®, Mankind™, Chris Jericho®, Big Show® and Mark Henry®. Along with to-be-announced features, a comprehensive roster reveal, downloadable content and big surprises, WWE ’13 is poised to live a revolution all its own.
WWE ’13 is currently scheduled for release on October 30, 2012 in North America. For more information, please visit wwe.thq.com, facebook.com/WWEgames and twitter.com/WWEgames.
- It looks like there are at least preliminary plans for Randy Orton to return to the main event after returning from his latest 60-day suspension from WWE. Orton is advertised in a triple-threat match against Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship on Smackdown live events in August. While plans such as this are done far in advance to advertise shows, it’s still interesting to see Orton in main event plans given recent backstage heat over his suspension.
- Former WWE star Carlito Colon has some interesting Tweets regarding the company’s use of Heath Slater on this week’s Raw Supershow:
I was just joking about heath slater…but damn…that nigga better save as much $ as he can.
— carlos colon (@carlitocolon) June 19, 2012
Im not saying heath slater sucks, hes just in a sh&%*y spot…hold up is that Primo and Epico on my TV? WTF?!
— carlos colon (@carlitocolon) June 19, 2012
Heath is probably getting patted on the shoulder and told “Vince loved it” “keep up the good work, we got are eye on you” total bullsh%* lol
— carlos colon (@carlitocolon) June 19, 2012
- I mentioned in today’s installment of Ask WNW that Alberto Del Rio working on Raw Supershow wasn’t met without criticism; I’m told one person that was very upset about Del Rio working the day of being cleared from a concussion was Mick Foley. Foley told people backstage the company should have waited a week or two after Del Rio was cleared to make sure the symptoms didn’t return. Foley was vocal about the fact it was unnecessary for Del Rio to work against Santino Marella so soon after being cleared.
- While the new tag team of Darren Young & Titus O’Neil as the Prime Time Players are set for a push, their in-ring work has already soured some officials. I’m told they will still likely get a push due to the lack of tag teams but unless there is improvement, it could be very short lived.
- There was talk of turning Dolph Ziggler babyface but the decision was made to keep him heel. This is the reason for keeping him with Vickie Guerrero and having them kiss after his victory against Jack Swagger. WWE was trying to nix the babyface support Ziggler got at No Way Out by “rekindling” his “relationship” with Vickie.
- All mentions of WWE NXT have been removed from dot com. Based on the fact the revamped show is expected to take over Florida Championship Wrestling’s timeslot on the Bright House Network, it doesn’t look like there will be a way for fans to watch outside of the Florida market.
- Kevin Nash wrote the following on Twitter:
As I’ve said in the past, social media is bullshit. it’s MY ps3. Thanks for playing along tonight. I’ll always be relevant due to my IQ.
— Kevin Nash (@RealKevinNash) June 19, 2012
- Kelly Kelly, who has been off the road with WWE, is officially advertised for next week’s Raw Supershow in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- For those wondering why Eve Torres has been missing from WWE programming, she has been away taking part in a new NBC series that honors the United States military. Below is the official press release that was issued today:
NBC ANNOUNCES CELEBRITY CAST AND HOSTS OF NEW SERIES ‘Stars Earn Stripes,’ AN EMOTIONALLY CHARGED NEW COMPETITION HONORING AMERICA’S ARMED FORCES
Hosts General Wesley Clark (ret.) and Samantha Harris Join Celebrity Cast Including Laila Ali, Dean Cain, Terry Crews, Nick Lachey, Todd Palin, Dolvett Quince, Picabo Street and Eve Torres in the Action-Packed Competition Show
“Stars Earn Stripes” Premieres Monday, August 13 (8 – 10 p.m. ET)
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – June 19, 2012 – NBC announced the celebrity cast and hosts of its new alternative series “Stars Earn Stripes” – a fierce and emotionally charged new competition show honoring America’s armed forces. The cast includes four-time undefeated world boxing champion Laila Ali, actor Dean Cain (“Out of Time,” Five Days of War”), actor and former National Football League player Terry Crews (“The Expendables 2,” “The Newsroom”), multi-platinum recording artist, actor, producer and television personality Nick Lachey (NBC’s “The Sing-Off”), Alaska businessman Todd Palin, Olympic gold medalist Picabo Street, “The Biggest Loser” trainer Dolvett Quince and WWE Diva, Eve Torres.
The series will be hosted by General Wesley Clark (ret.) – the former Supreme Allied Commander Europe for NATO and former presidential candidate – and television personality Samantha Harris (“Entertainment Tonight,” “Dancing with the Stars”). “Stars Earn Stripes” will debut with a special two-hour episode on Monday, August 13 (8-10 p.m. ET) and will air Mondays at 9 p.m. ET.
The eight competitors will gather at a remote training facility where they will tackle complicated and difficult missions that are inspired by real military exercises. Each will be paired with an “operative” who is a member or a former member of our armed forces or law enforcement agencies. The operative will coach and guide their celebrity teammate on their training and each of their missions and will compete along-side them. From helicopter drops to long range weapons fire – the competitors will be tested physically and emotionally as they play to win and to earn a cash prize for military, veterans and first-responder based charities. Each week one of the teams will be eliminated.
The announcement was made by Paul Telegdy, President, Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC.
“We are honored to have a much-decorated and beloved military figure such as General Clark joining ‘Stars Earn Stripes.’ The general’s legendary record in the U.S. armed forces commands respect as he brings so much practical knowledge that will infuse the show with priceless insight,” said Telegdy. “Our cast is ready to be put to the test – using the same physical and mental challenges that prepare our nation’s bravest men and women to defend our nation – and their arduous journey will make for riveting television.”
“I am thrilled to join ‘Stars Earn Stripes’ as host and look forward to watching the celebrity cast members test themselves as they step up to take on these tough challenges,” said Clark. “This new series pays tribute to members of our dedicated armed forces and civil law enforcement and I know that the winnings, which will be donated to first-responder charity and veterans’ groups, will make a difference and send an important message.”
The charitable organizations that the contestants are playing for include The Following: Laila Ali – Military Child Education Coalition (http://www.militarychild.org), Dean Cain – Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org), Terry Crews – The Pat Tillman Foundation (http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org), Nick Lachey – The Badge of Honor Memorial Foundation (www.bohmf.org), Todd Palin – Armed Services YMCA Alaska (http://www.asymcaofalaska.com), Dolvett Quince – Got your 6 (www.gotyour6.org), Picabo Street – Hiring Our Heroes (www.uschamber.com/hiringourheroes) and Eve Torres – USO (www.uso.org).
From executive producers Dick Wolf (“Law & Order,” “Law & Order: SVU”), Mark Burnett (“The Voice,” “Survivor”) and David A. Hurwitz (“Fear Factor”), this extraordinary show will donate money raised through the competition to veterans’ charities. Committed to hiring recent vets onto the crew, “Stars Earn Stripes” hopes to inspire other employers throughout the country to make similar commitments to our returning heroes, not to mention proving how impossible their service missions really are.
The series is a production of Universal Television, One Three Television, LLC, Wolf Reality, LLC and Bill’s Market & Television Productions.
- For those looking for a WWE suspensions update, look no further. The following suspensions are up on the dates listed below:
- Chris Jericho’s suspension ends on 6/22, he’s advertised for Raw next Monday
- Rey Mysterio’s suspension ends on 6/25, his return hasn’t yet been announced
- Randy Orton’s suspension ends on 7/30, he’s advertised for Raw that night
- John Laurinaitis is officially advertised for next Monday’s Raw Supershow and is on WWE events going forward. If you gave No Way Out an A grade because you thought it was the end of the Laurinaitis character, you were mistaken.
- Brock Lesnar is officially advertised for the go-home to SummerSlam edition of Raw Supershow in Dallas, Texas.
- It was announced during this week’s Smackdown taping that Vickie Guerrero will be the Interim General Manager of Raw Supershow and Smackdown.
- The John Cena divorce is starting to get ugly as his soon to be ex-wife Liz Cena and her attorney Raymond Rafool are telling media outlets they know John cheated and are now out to prove it.
“We’re definitely following up on every lead relative to his being unfaithful before AND after the separation,” Rafool told TMZ.
Click here for coverage by TMZ.
- Ted DiBiase will be at tonight’s Florida Championship Wrestling show at the Orlando, Armory for a meet and greet beginning at 6:30 PM EDT. Click here for more information.
- John Cena was on “Good Morning America” Wednesday morning on ABC to celebrate his 300th wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. In the appearance, Cena invited a seven-year-old boy to the 1000th Raw in St. Louis.
- Alberto Del Rio met with Vince McMahon on Monday afternoon at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. While no one knows the specifics of what was described to me as a “closed door meeting,” Alberto was upset he was pulled from No Way Out but scheduled to work Raw and Smackdown this week. Del Rio was so heated he reportedly threatened to quit, stating he didn’t feel he was being taken care of and his push was not to his liking. I’m told Vince McMahon “caved” although that’s where the story stops. One observer speculated perhaps McMahon agreed to cater to Del Rio in hopes he chooses to stay around at a time when the company is desperately in need of star power. Regardless of the situation, Del Rio isn’t expected to be around in the long-term and could wind up on the “endangered species list” once the company gains more leverage with returning top talent.
- WWE is sending David Otunga, Natalya, Lilian Garcia and Zack Ryder to “Anti-Bullying” night on Wednesday, June 27th at the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball game. Click here for more information.
- Scott Steiner’s profile has been added to the Alumni section of the official WWE website and the inclusion is being promoted on the main page. The timing is interesting as TNA filed a verified complaint on Monday against Steiner, asking a judge for an injunction to stop “disparaging remarks” from being made on Twitter.
- WWE No Way Out was not sold out and was believed to have done in the ballpark of 10,000 attendees.
- Kofi Kingston is scheduled to appear on “Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files” next Tuesday on SyFy.
- Pantagraph.com has a new article featuring quotes from WWE Intercontinental Champion Christian. Below is an excerpt:
Edge’s career ending injury:
“Yeah, I was the first person he called after he got the news (about the injury). It was one of those things where I had to listen and be there for him,” Christian recalls. “I could tell he was upset about it once it sunk in. I told him that if was writing the end to his story, this was the perfect way to finish it off, just winning the WrestleMania (XXVII) world championship, the biggest show of the year. You can’t write a better ending than that.”
How long he plans to work:
“Having a long career with real lasting power has always been a goal,” he says. “So as long as I’m physically able to do what I do, I’ll keep doing it.”
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- Grantland.com has a new article online looking at AJ Lee’s involvement in the CM Punk/Daniel Bryan/Kane program. The article calls her “WWE’s New Miss Elizabeth.” Click here to read it. (Thanks to Wrestling News World reader Fernando for sending this in.)
- The revamped season six of WWE NXT is airing across international markets including Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and Australia.
- John Laurinaitis is touring with the Raw brand this weekend. The storyline is advertised as follows:
PER THE WWE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, JOHN LAURINAITIS MUST FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS & TEAM WITH “THE WORLD’S LARGEST ATHLETE” BIG SHOW TO TAKE ON JOHN CENA IN THE BIGGEST HANDICAP MATCH IN WWE HISTORY!!
Big Johnny will team with Big Show to face John Cena in a 2-on-1 handicap matches at both Raw live events in my home state of West Virginia.
- Daniel Bryan is nominated in peta2′s Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity Contest. For information on how you can vote for him, click here.
- You can view the cover art for the WWE No Way Out 2012 DVD at this link.
- Boogeyman has been added to the Alumni section of the official WWE website. You can view his profile at this link.