- Big Show can now be considered a triple-crown champion after his WWE Intercontinental Championship win at Wrestlemania XXVII. Show is also a former World Heavyweight Champion and Tag Team Champion. (Thanks to WNW Reader Brandon Ceielo for sending this in.)
- Speaking of Big Show, his mother was ringside for his bout against Cody Rhodes and he hugged her afterwards.
- P Diddy introduced Machine Gun Kelly prior to their performance at Wrestlemania XXVIII.
- Torrie Wilson and New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez were shown sitting at ringside at Wrestlemania XXVIII.
- WWE wasted no time to tout the success of Wrestlemania XXVIII by issuing the following press release:
MIAMI, FL – April 1, 2012 – WWE® (NYSE: WWE) announced tonight that WrestleMania XXVIII set three records. With a sellout crowd of 78,363 fans from all 50 states and 36 countries, the annual pop culture extravaganza became Sun Life Stadium’s largest attended event and highest grossing entertainment event in history. Grossing $8.9 million, it was also the highest grossing live event in WWE history. The event was broadcast around the world on pay-per-view in more than 105 countries and 20 languages.
The previous Sun Life Stadium attendance record was 77,912 for the BCS National Championship in 2005. Its highest grossing entertainment event was U2 on June 29, 2011, grossing more than $7.5 million. WrestleMania XXVIII surpassed the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania in Houston, which grossed $7.2 million. This marks the third consecutive year WrestleMania broke the gross entertainment event record of the host venue.
“WrestleMania XXVIII in Miami-Dade County was an incredible event for WWE. WWE would like to thank our loyal fans, as well as the public and private sector partners for their tireless efforts to help make WrestleMania Week such a success,” said John P. Saboor, Senior Vice President of Special Events, WWE. “We now look forward to building on these achievements as we head to MetLife Stadium for WrestleMania XXIX next year.”
WrestleMania XXIX will take place on Sunday, April 7, 2013 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. Ticket information will be announced later this year.