I spoke with Kofi Kingston today in a conference call hosted by SyFy in preparation for Smackdown's premiere on the network on Friday, October 1st.
* I asked Kofi about dropping his Jamaican accent and referenced an interview that he did where he said it was very weird speaking in his normal voice. Kofi said dropping the accent was more of the natural evolution of the Kofi Kingston character and was no one's decision in particular. He said while he never wanted to go back to the accent, it was certainly weird speaking in his normal voice. Kingston distinguished character development as something that made WWE different from Mixed Martial Arts.
* I asked a hypothetical question that if WWE were to end the brand extension what it would mean for him where he is not quite a main event worker but obviously very close. Kofi said he feels like he is going to be in the mix regardless of what happens. He said he focuses going forward and it doesn't matter what happens, he feels he's talented enough to remain in the mix.
* I talked about how he came onto the scene as a character on ECW and referenced the fact he was a Pro on Season 2 of WWE NXT. I asked him which show he like better. Kingston said for him his favorite show was ECW but because they were two entirely different shows it's kind of hard to give an answer. He said he felt like NXT offered him a better opportunity for people to get to know his character.
Also for those that follow Kofi on Twitter and noticed he had a tire blowout yesterday, he said he's having a better day today.
WWE Smackdown will premiere on SyFy on Friday, October 1st at 8 PM/7 CT. Click here for more information.
** AFTER YOU READ THIS ARTICLE PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD ***
* Click the "Like" button at the top of this post and "Tweet" it if you have Twitter!
* Also, you can find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/WrestlingNewsWorld and on Twitter at Twitter.com/wnwnews!
READER TIPS: Posting Comments | Submissions
Want The Inside Line To Pro Wrestling? - Join WNW Premium