Backstage news from WWE Night of Champions…
- We’re told there was a “state of confusion” over Triple H’s apparent babyface promo to open WWE Night of Champions. I noted it felt like it ran long but the fact it confused the live crowd adds to the fact they could have found a better way to open the pay-per-view.
- Speaking of the crowd, the fast count in the main event went unnoticed live. Speaking to people that were in attendance, the consensus was the match ended clean. This wasn’t the case and is expected to be follow-up on this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw.
- Alberto Del Rio lost a tooth in his match against Rob Van Dam. The injury happened when he took the Van Terminator.
- There was talk over the weekend about having Damien Sandow “cash in” his Money in the Bank briefcase at the pay-per-view on Sunday, however, those plans obviously changed.
- Ryback’s alliance with Paul Heyman is seen as “feast or famine” and “one last chance” for him to make it as a top talent. Everyone knows what I think about it but I’m told he’s being put in the program with CM Punk because Punk is a guy with major influence that will hold Ryback’s ego in check. The office knows Punk won’t be shy if Ryback is unsafe or reckless in the ring. Both accusations have been made in the past.
- Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were seen to be on a “different level” over everyone else on WWE Night of Champions.