I have just seen the trailer for Trainwreck featuring John Cena. Noting his clean skin WWE image, I was surprised to see him in a sex scene. Would WWE have had to approve this scene prior to Cena signing on?
WWE isn’t involved in “Trainwreck” as it’s a Apatow Productions/Universal Pictures production that features John Cena as one of Amy Schumer’s dates. We posted the clean trailer at this link and the “red band” trailer — that features the Cena sex scene - is online at this link or embedded in the video below:
Since it’s not a WWE project, I can’t imagine them having any say in what one of their independent contractors can and cannot do. It’s my assumption Cena was free to do whatever after they signed off on his inclusion. Regardless, Vince McMahon approves:
Kevin Owens has been booked very dominant so far. He's been in control for most of his match time, his last two opponents have needed medical attention and he's already the champion --after 2 months and less than a handful of matches. Do you know if he's on the fast track to the main roster or if he's going to be the "Lesnar of NXT?”
I can’t give you a timetable for the call-up of Kevin Owens but can tell you that Triple H is very much on board. The feeling is Owens doesn’t require much development or “seasoning” because he already gets it. Even though Owens has only been working in NXT for a couple of months, he’s seen as one of the most “main roster ready” prospects.
The Owens-to-Lesnar comparison was brought up on commentary at Rival as the domination of Owens was likened to Lesnar's domination of John Cena at SummerSlam, prior to Zayn's comeback. It's clear, WWE is already protecting Owens, even in developmental.
With that said, what about Finn Balor? I can’t see much left for him to accomplish down in Florida either. Balor has everything he needs to head to the main roster and be a really big star. On the flip side, Hideo Itami is having a harder time with the adjustment. It’s something Hunter brought up in his conference call and even referenced during commentary in his match on NXT Takeover: Rival.
After watching the 4-way NXT Women;s Title match it reminded me of the great women’s wrestling from the early 2000s. With Triple H stating he would want more of a focus on women’s wrestling, do you think we will see a resurgence?
Triple H understands the NXT audience is different from the main WWE audience. The demographic is tighter and the people that love and follow NXT, are the same people that love and follow Ring of Honor (or other wrestling-heavy promotions). It seems like I write this every time there is an NXT Takeover show but the only way I see a change to Divas matches on the main WWE roster is if a philosophical change is made in the way WWE pushes female talent. Given that we’re in the Total Divas era of drama, sex appeal, etc, I am not expecting that philosophical change any time soon.
I agree the WWE NXT Women’s Championship match at Takeover was fantastic and must-see TV. The WWE Network is worth NXT alone.
As much as it excites me to say that I am attending Wrestlemania 31, the little kid inside of me wishes The Undertaker and Sting were having their dream match. Do you have any insight as to why it appears WWE is doing Triple H vs. Sting and Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt instead?
I was told that Triple H wanted a match against Sting, regardless of The Undertaker's status for Wrestlemania 31. Below is an excerpt from a Backstage News update I ran on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium on December 10, 2014:
Right now, Vince and Triple H are hoping The Undertaker can be convinced to work Wrestlemania 31 next year but are not in agreement on what his match would be if he did return. Vince wants to do The Undertaker vs. Sting, but with The Rock likely unavailable, Hunter needs a big name opponent and he wants to face Sting.
They have planted the seed for a Triple H vs. Sting match because Vince has no objection to that match if Undertaker doesn’t return. However, if Undertaker does return, Vince doesn’t want Triple H vs. Sting. Hunter wants a match against Sting whether Undertaker returns or not.
At the time, Hunter had talked about putting Undertaker in the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match with Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns (which goes to show how long the triple threat rumblings go back) but right now, Wyatt vs. Undertaker is most likely.
From the Ask WNW vault…
March 2013: What happened to the high flying indy worker PAC? - PAC signed a WWE developmental contract in July 2012 and is currently working in NXT Wrestling as Adrian Neville. You can check out his recent work set to air on WWE NXT in the taping results posted here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
The next installment of Ask WNW is scheduled to run on Friday, February 13, 2015.