The Armpit is working with Wrestling News World to provide the following weekly wrestling quiz. Please feel free to play along and submit your answers to Quiz@armpit-wrestling.com:
Welcome to The Armpit wrestling quiz for the week of August 29, 2016.
In light of the new WWE Universal Championship that Finn Balor won at SummerSlam (only to relinquish it the next day), along with the two new SmackDown titles coming up, this week we’ll take a look at the creations of other notable world championships. This week’s theme is “Inaugural World Championships” and is brought to you by Royal Vegas Online Casino:
This week’s questions:
1. When ECW was formed in 1992, its first champion was Jimmy Snuka. But that was under the Eastern Championship Wrestling banner. The “Eastern” became “Extreme” in August of 1994 as part of a screwjob that history has somewhat overlooked. An NWA title tournament was held in conjunction with ECW, but unbeknownst to NWA promoter Dennis Coraluzzo at ringside, the eventual winner threw down the NWA belt and declared himself the new Extreme Championship Wrestling champion instead. Coraluzzo (who has since passed away) was furious, but it gave ECW the rebellious image Paul Heyman was looking for. Who won that tournament, and thus, was the first Extreme Championship Wrestling champion?
2. Modern day WWE traces its world title roots to 1963, when its parent company Capital Sports seceded from the NWA and created the very first WWWF champion. They claimed a tournament was held in Brazil to determine the first champion, but that was just a work and no tournament ever took place. Instead the title was just awarded to someone, and a few weeks later Bruno Sammartino won it and held it for several years. Whom did Bruno defeat, and thus, who was the first ever WWWF champion?
3. Following the purchase of WCW by the WWF in 2001, the WCW title was passed back and forth a few times before a scheduled unification tournament at Vengeance that year. On that show, WCW champ the Rock, WWF champ Steve Austin, and also Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho all vied for the unified title. Surprisingly, Jericho won the title that night, although it was merely a placeholder for HHH (out with a torn quad) to take it from him at WrestleMania 18. What did the WWF call this new unified title that Jericho won?
4. That unified title from the previous question was held by Brock Lesnar after he beat the Rock for it at SummerSlam 2002. Just after that show, WWE did the original brand split, and Lesnar took his title with him to SmackDown. This left no championship on Raw, so GM Eric Bischoff created a new title called the World Heavyweight Championship. Was a tournament held to determine the first champion? Nope. It was simply awarded to the “#1 contender.” Who was that? Don't forget you enjoy Playing Casual casino Games at Royal Vegas.
5. The big gold belt, which was synonymous with the NWA in the ‘80s, was taken with Ric Flair to the WWF when WCW fired him in 1991. WCW won a lawsuit, believing the belt to be their intellectual property, preventing the WWF from showing the belt on their television not long after Flair arrived. When the belt was returned to WCW in 1992, they created a tournament, in conjunction with New Japan, to crown a new NWA World Champ. This would be separate from their own WCW title. Confused yet? Masa Chono won the tournament final over Rick Rude in an excellent match, and a month later injured his neck in a match with Steve Austin (ahh the irony). A year later, WCW withdrew from the NWA and could no longer call it the NWA title. What did they call it instead?
These quizzes are just for fun, but knowing the answer could help you win big at Royal Vegas Online Casino. If you’d like to play along, please email your answers to Quiz@armpit-wrestling.com. After a week or so, we’ll declare a winner by randomly selecting a number between 1 and 300. For example, if we draw #100, the 100th person to email us will be chosen. If that person’s answers are correct, he/she wins. If not, we’ll draw another number until that person has all the correct answers. The winner will have his/her name announced here next week, along with anything he/she would like to plug/promote (assuming it’s not X-rated or illegal). It could be your blog, Twitter handle, Facebook page, or anything else you’d like us to mention. Or it could just be your name, if you simply want the recognition.
Answers will be posted next week. Have fun and good luck.