The Armpit has teamed with Wrestling News World to provide readers with a fun and interactive weekly wrestling quiz. Below is this week's installment:
Welcome to The Armpit wrestling quiz for the week of December 12, 2016. As of this writing, the big news in wrestling is the backstage brawl in Mexico involving Alberto del Rio and Tortuga Rafy. This seems to be a recurring story with ADR, who is far more interesting a character off screen than he is on. So the theme of this week’s quiz is, you guessed it, “Alberto Del Rio.”
Congratulations to last week’s winner: Stephen Sutton
Last week’s answers:
1) In 1992, Shawn Michaels had what is believed to be the first “modern day” ladder match in wrestling history, with his longtime nemesis Bret Hart.
2) After Shawn had a legendary ladder match with Razor Ramon at WrestleMania X, the two followed it up with a rematch at SummerSlam ’95.
3) I asked about the classic ladder match between the Hardys, Dudleys, and Edge and Christian at WrestleMania 2000. However a couple of you answered SummerSlam 2000, which is technically correct too since it was a TLC match, and I had totally forgotten about it. So yes, we accepted that answer.
4) Mick Foley coined the phrase “Tables, Ladders, and Chairs, oh my!” With Foley as Raw GM now, I’m sure he’d have done the same for this year’s show had it not been a SmackDown show.
5) The first Money in the Bank match, at WrestleMania XXI, was won by Edge.
6) The storyline of the ladder match at ROH’s recent All Star Extravaganza was that Christopher Daniels felt this was his last hurrah at his age, and he cut a memorable promo on TV vowing he wouldn’t lose the tag team titles.
This week’s questions:
1. Alberto Del Rio (referred to from now on as ADR) comes from a wrestling family. He’s the son of which famous luchador?
a) Perro Aguayo
b) Dos Caras
c) Mil Mascaras
d) Chavo Guerrero
2. While ADR is an accomplished pro wrestler, he also had an extensive career in MMA, earning a win/loss record of 9-5. His most famous fight was getting KO’d by a head kick from which famous MMA fighter in PRIDE?
a) Quinton Jackson
b) Rickson Gracie
c) Fedor Emelianenko
d) Mark Coleman
e) Mirko Cro Cop
3. After a short stint in FCW (precursor to NXT), ADR debuted on the main roster with a big push, without his mask. What was so memorable about ADR’s ring entrances?
a) He came through the stands, like The Shield used to do
b) He had no entrance music, which set him apart from the other wrestlers
c) He drove to the ring in a fancy car and had Ricardo Rodriguez introduce him
d) He had two valets, one on each arm
e) The arena lights would always go off, and he’d appear in the ring once the lights were back on
4. In 2011, ADR became the answer to a trivia question (and I guess this would be the place to ask it) as the first guy to win both the Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank match in the same year. He lost his WrestleMania match against Edge, but earned a rematch. Why did the rematch never take place?
a) Edge had to retire due to neck injuries
b) Christian defeated ADR, and in beating him, he earned ADR’s title shot
c) Vince McMahon changed his mind and booked an injury angle to take ADR out of the match
d) Matt Hardy attacked Edge in real life, injuring him badly, as revenge for his stealing Lita from him years earlier
5. At SummerSlam 2011, ADR finally cashed in his MITB contract and won the WWE title. He did so in usual fashion, after the champion was exhausted from a PPV main event. In this case, the champ was CM Punk, who had just defeated John Cena to win the title. But who attacked Punk after that match, making him easy prey for ADR to score the pin?
a) Ricardo Rodriguez
b) Kevin Nash
c) Big Show
d) AJ Lee’s father
6. After feuds with Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton, among others, ADR was fired in 2014. It was a blessing in disguise (actually, it wasn’t even disguised), as ADR became the target of a bidding war that resulted in him being paid likely more than he was really worth. Why was he fired from WWE?
a) He violated their Wellness policy
b) He refused to lose a match to John Cena
c) The company wasn’t happy with his performance in the ring
d) He bitch slapped an employee backstage for what he perceived was a racial joke
7. ADR worked for several promotions after WWE, including Lucha Underground and ROH, among others. In 2015, he made a surprising return to WWE at SummerSlam after signing a great contract that again was likely for more money than he was worth. What did he do on his first night back?
a) Defeated John Cena for the US Title
b) Attacked Daniel Bryan under a mask, and then umasked to a huge pop
c) Lost to Sheamus, causing internet fans to complain about WWE’s 50/50 booking
d) Hired Paige as his valet, which eventually led to their real life romance
8. Just before he left WWE again in 2016, ADR’s last stint in WWE was considered a failure. He looked great and still wrestled well, but most felt his momentum was ruined by being paired illogically with which manager?
a) Paul Heyman
b) Ricardo Rodriguez as a babyface
c) Zeb Coulter
9. Hot off the press, ADR reportedly put a real hurting on Tortuga Rafy this past weekend in a brawl that spilled out into an area where several fans witnessed it. What is the alleged reason this fight started?
a) They had a match earlier that night and Tortuga was too stiff with him
b) Tortuga made disparaging remarks about ADR’s father, who’s a legend in Mexico
c) Tortuga booked ADR to lose a match, and he refused
d) ADR saw Tortuga touch Paige inappropriately, and when ADR confronted him about it, Tortuga blew him off
Please email your answers to Quiz@armpit-wrestling.com. We will randomly generate a number to determine the winner. For example, if the number is 25 and you’re the 25th person to email us with correct answers, you win. Winners receive a free copy of our brand new e-book, “The Armpit Wrestling Quiz Archives: Volume 1.” It features 128 quizzes we’ve written over the years and clocks in at 420 pages and a whopping 1,079 questions on pro wrestling history dating back to the 1980s. We’ll also announce your name here next week as the winner.
Answers will be posted next week. Have fun and good luck.