Welcome to my new mini-series. In this six part series, I will notate five points of interest that are unique to every individual WrestleMania during it’s three decade run. These are moments, matches, or facts that help that year’s WrestleMania stick out from the rest. For the second entry in the series, I will cover WrestleMania 6 through WrestleMania 10.
WrestleMania 6 (April 1, 1990)
- This is the very first WrestleMania to be held outside the United States. It took place in Toronto, Ontario.
- At the time Mr. Perfect was on a huge television winning streak. Brutus Beefcake ended that streak at WrestleMania 6.
- Another end came with the announcer's booth. This was the last WrestleMania to feature Jesse Ventura calling the matches as an announcer.
- Demolition beat The Colossal Connection of Andre The Giant and Haku for the Tag Team Championships. Andre The Giant would return to being a face when he turned on Bobby Heenan and Haku after three years of being heel. Sadly, this would be his final televised match. After a tour in Japan, he passed away.
- The main event was a Title vs. Title Match. Ultimate Warrior was the Intercontinental Champion going against Hulk Hogan who was the WWF World Heavyweight Champion. This was the first time a WrestleMania event was headlined by two top good guys in WrestleMania. The crowd was split, but the entire arena erupted when Ultimate Warrior won his first and only World Title that night. He also became the first man to hold both titles at the same time.
WrestleMania 7 (March 24, 1991)
- This was the beginning of the iconic Undertaker streak. He defeated Jimmy Snuka via the Tombstone Piledriver, unknowingly launching a twenty plus year long streak at WrestleMania.
- Ultimate Warrior faced Randy Savage in a Retirement Match. Ultimate Warrior would go on to defeated Randy Savage "retiring him" for a brief moment.
- This was the year Randy Savage turned face when he was reunited with Miss Elizabeth after the match in a heart warming reunion.
- Nasty Boys beat the Hart Foundation for the Tag Team Championships. This would be the last match where the original Hart Foundation of Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart teamed up.
- The main event was Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter for the World Title. It was a very patriotic due to how Sgt. Slaughter turned his back on the United States, and the Gulf War Crisis. Hulk Hogan would once again capture the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.
WrestleMania 8 (April 5, 1992)
- This event was plagued with many problems and changes: The British Bulldog vs. The Berzerker didn't happen due to time constraints, Papa Shango missed his cue during one of the co-main events, and Legion of Doom had to be replaced by Natural Disasters due to Hawk's suspension.
- Undertaker continued his streak by defeating Jake Roberts.
- Bret Hart beat Roddy Piper for the Intercontinental Championship, in what is still considered a classic contest to this day. One that had a lot of stiff wrestling compiled with a great finish.
- Hulk Hogan fought Sid Justice as part of the co-main event. Their finish had to be improvised due to Papa Shango's missed cue. This match was also billed as Hulk Hogan's last match, due to the steroid scandal that was going on at the time.
- The main event was the new World Champion Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage. Randy Savage won the title, but the match wasn't the final match on the card. Instead, Hulk Hogan vs. Sid Justice went on last.
WrestleMania 9 (April 4, 1993)
- First WrestleMania to be held outdoors.
- This event featured one of the worst matches in WrestleMania history, and one of the worst matches during the Undertaker's streak was Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzales.
- Yokozuna defeated Bret Hart for the World Title in the main event of WrestleMania.
- This would be overshadowed by the 22 second impromptu match between Yokozuna and Hulk Hogan for the newly won WF World Heavyweight Championship, which Hulk Hogan won again.
- This year's WrestleMania was one of the most criticized events in it's entire history. From the poor matches to the stupid booking. It is renown for how it is hated by critics.
WrestleMania 10 (March 20, 1994)
- This is the first WrestleMania that does not feature Hulk Hogan in any capacity.
- Randy Savage defeated Crush in a Falls Count Anywhere Match. This would also be Randy Savage's final televised match with WWE.
- Shawn Michaels fought Razor Ramon for the Intercontinental Championsip in a Ladder Match. This is regarded as one of the greatest Ladder Matches in history. The outcome saw Razor Ramon br crowned the undisputed Intercontinental Champion when he claimed both versions of the belt to win the match.
- Owen Hart beat Bret Hart in an intense match over sibling rivalry.
- That wouldn't be the only match for Bret Hart that night. After Lex Lugar failed to win the World Title from Yokozuna. Bret Hart got the chance to claim the title in the main event. This was due to the fact that both Lex Lugar and Bret Hart won the Royal Rumble. Bret Hart would go on to win the championship in his WrestleMania 9 rematch.
I hope you enjoyed the second part of my six part series. If you have any other moments or facts you believe should be shared or mentioned in this article, put them in the comments below, I know I missed some of your personal favorites. As always, have a good day.