Welcome to my new mini-series. In this six part series, I will notate five points of interest that are unique to every individual WrestleMania during it’s three decade run. These are moments, matches, or facts that help that year’s WrestleMania stick out from the rest. For the fifth entry in the series, I will cover WrestleMania 21 through WrestleMania 25.
WrestleMania 21 (April 3, 2005)
- The very first Money In The Bank Ladder Match took place here. Although it was created by Chris Jericho, Edge became the very first winner of the annual event. He used this chance to claim the WWE Championship from John Cena at New Year's Revolution.
- This is Eddie Guererro's final WrestleMania appearance. His final WrestleMania match was against Rey Mysterio, who won the contest between the two.
- Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels is the very first time the two had ever faced each other, and it was at this year's WrestleMania. Kurt Angle came out the victor in this classic encounter.
- This WrestleMania hosted the very first and only Sumo Match. Big Show lost to Akebono, a professional and well known sumo wrestler.
- The main event portions of John Cena and Batista's careers was kicked off here, as both men won their very first world championship at this event.
WrestleMania 22 (April 2, 2006)
- Tickets sold out in under two minutes, grossing $2.5 million for the event. It is the highest grossing one-day event at the Allstate Arena. Last time here was WrestleMania 13, an event that had to give away tickets to fill the arena.
- This is the first Money In The Bank Match to feature Smackdown superstars.
- The epic and legendary Edge vs. Mick Foley Hardcore Match happened at this pay per view.
- The WWE Championship Match saw John Cena beat Triple H to retain the title.
- Rey Mysterio won his first World Heavyweight Championship here by beating both Kurt Angle and Randy Orton in a Triple Threat.
WrestleMania 23 (April 1, 2007)
- This is the 1st WrestleMania to feature the ECW brand. The ECW Originals (Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, and The Sandman) defeated The New Breed(Elijah Burke, Marcus Cor Von, Matt Striker, and Kevin Thorn).
- This is the first and only time a Money In The Bank Ladder Match would not see the victor go on to even cash in his briefcase. Mr. Kennedy would lose the briefcase to Edge on Raw.
- One of the main attractions was a Hair vs. hair Match between Vince McMahon and Donald Trump- Each man was represented by a wrestler. McMahon had Umaga in his corner, and Trump had Bobby Lashley in his corner. In the end, Vince lost, and got shaved bald by the Special Guest Referee, Stone Cold Steve Austin.
- The World Heavyweight Championship Match between Undertaker and Batista took place in the middle of the card.
- John Cena faced Shawn Michaels with the WWE Championship on the line. Cena walked out of WrestleMania again, three years in a row.
WrestleMania 24 (March 30, 2008)
- This is the first WrestleMania to be held in Florida, and only the second to be held outside.
- Ric Flair retired at this year's WrestleMania, when he lost to Shawn Michaels in his Reitrement Match. Ric Flair has never wrestled since then in a WWE ring.
- A real life boxer,Floyd Mayweather Jr., defeated Big Show by knockout in a NO Disqualification Match
- Kane best Chavo Guerrero for the ECW Championship in 11 seconds. This is not only the shortest match in WrestleMania history, but it is the only time that the ECW Championship was ever defended at WrestleMania.
- The two main events saw Edge defend the World Heavuweight Championship against Undertaker, and Randy Orton defended the WWE Championship against Triple H and John Cena.
WrestleMania 25 (April 5, 2009)
- CM Punk becomes the first and only man to win back to back Money In The Bank Ladder Matches at WrestleMania.
- This year featured current and returning WWE Divas in a 25 Diva Battle Royal for the crown of Miss WrestleMania. The entire match turned out to be one big joke as Santna Marella (Santino Marella's "twin sister") won the match. The match also featured a rush match time, and no individual entrances or announcements of the divas. They were all introduced during a Kid Rock musical performance.
- Chris Jericho faced Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, and Ricky Steamboat in an Elimination Handicap Match. Chris Jericho won, but Steamboat was so impressive in the match, the two had a one on one encounter at the next pay per view.
- JBL vs. Rey Mysterio for the Intercontinental Championship was the shortest intercontinental championship match in WrestleMania history. This would also mark JBL's final match with WWE.
- The epic Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker match occurred at this event. It is considered by many to be the greatest match in WrestleMania history, if not Undertaker's greatest match ever.
I hope you enjoyed the fifth part of my six part series. If you have any other moments or facts you believe should be shared or mentioned in this article, put them in the comments below, I know I missed some of your personal favorites. As always, have a good day