- WWE’s second biggest pay-per-view of the year is tonight in SummerSlam from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The show is loaded down with 13 matches that we previewed at this link. We’ve talked about the high expectations on Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins and the injury risk to Randy Orton. Make sure to join us here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com at 7 PM ET tonight for streaming live results and your discussion.
- UFC 202 was last night from Las Vegas, Nevada and we covered the event at this link. The headline coming out of the show was that Conor McGregor defeated Nate Diaz by majority decision (48-47, 47-47, 48-47) in all five rounds. It was a great fight (the entire show was outstanding) but I’m actually surprised at the amount of people that feel the decision was controversial. McGregor dominated round one and the first half of round two before Diaz found life and nearly knocked McGregor out in round three. Rounds four and five were more even with Diaz having the upper hand towards the end of the fight. Diaz was left a bloody mess after the fight with a bruised right leg and what looked like a broken nose. Here’s the scorecard of the fight courtesy of the Nevada Athletic Commission:
- As for the future, Diaz made it clear he wants a third fight but Dana White already said that win or lose, McGregor has to go back down to defend the UFC Featherweight Championship. McGregor indicated last night he would take a third fight but wants Diaz to come down to featherweight.
- UFC 203 is next and it’s what many wrestling fans have been waiting for as CM Punk will make his UFC debut against Mickey Gall. They ran promos for it all night last night, highlighting Punk’s WWE past and evolution to fighting. The show will be headlined by Stipe Miocic defending the UFC Heavyweight Championship against Alistair Overeem and will take place Saturday, September 10, 2016 at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. We'll have complete coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Brock Lesnar has been trending social media for comments he made to Sam Roberts about Conor McGregor at the WWE 2K17 launch event in New York City. We brought you the tape on Saturday. Here’s the transcription:
“I take s--ts bigger than that kid, alright?" Lesnar said. "I know you guys all play f--king video games and you live in this false sense of reality and s--t. I'm two hundred and f--king ninety pounds, alright? This guy's a hundred and forty-five pounds if he's lucky and gets up and eats his f--king Wheaties, ok?
"If Conor McGregor wants to say some s--t to me, and get his name out there more than he already has by dropping my name, I got f--king about ten words for him: "Come here, face-to-face Conor, and say it to my face. Otherwise leave me and the f--king WWE out of it, because I came to your arena and kicked ass. Now, if you want, and if you're so f--king tough, come to our arena and try and kick some ass. Now, get the f--k out of here!”
- The big news coming out of WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II is that Shinsuke Nakamura is the new WWE NXT Champion after beating Samoa Joe in the show's main event. We're expecting Joe up to the main roster sooner than later as well as Bayley. As Zack noted, this is the first time a Japanese wrestler had held a top title in WWE.
- Samoa Joe may have been injured as the referee held up the X signal after the match but we don't have confirmation at press time.
- Hideo Itami brought the GTS (CM Punk's finisher) back to WWE at last night's WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II. After Austin Aries beat No Way Jose, Itami came out and hit Aries with it. You can watch video below:
- Ember Moon made her debut, beating Billie Kay in her first televised match.
Did you enjoy today’s Exclusive Update? Please consider leaving a tip…