- WWE’s ban hammer struck again on Thursday as the company announced that Eva Marie has been suspended for 30 days following her first violation of the company Wellness Policy. The company announced Wellness failures by Alberto Del Rio and Paige on Wednesday. All three are first-time violators and as a result received 30-day suspensions. While we had the backstory on the situation with Paige and Del Rio yesterday, there is also one with Eva Marie. In an episode of Total Divas that aired in May 2014, Eva Marie revealed that she struggles with alcohol abuse. In that episode, she told a story about being sober for three years but relapsing just before she was hired by WWE in 2013. Like the situations of Del Rio and Paige, we don’t know what caused Eva to fail the Wellness test but this certainly adds a bit of context. What is so surprising is how proud Eva seems to of her sobriety and the fact she doesn’t even drink alcohol. You can watch the segment from Total Divas with Eva opening up in the video embedded above.
- As a result of the suspension, Eva Marie will not be able to participate in the tag tam match at SummerSlam, where she was scheduled to team with Natalya & Alexa Bliss to oppose Becky Lynch, Naomi and Carmella. WWE is now questioning whether it will be a two on three Handicap Match or if Nattie and Bliss will recruit another partner.
- Meanwhile, Eva’s husband, Jonathan Coyle, tweeted this:
- The opening betting lines for WWE SummerSlam are in. Brock Lesnar is heavily favored over Randy Orton, Finn Balor is favored over Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose is favored over Dolph Ziggler, Sasha Banks is favored over Charlotte, Apollo Crews is favored over The Miz, Rusev is favored over Roman Reigns, AJ Styles is favored over John Cena, Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson are favored over The New Day, Enzo Amore & Big Cass are favored over Kevin Owens & Chris Jericho and Sheamus is favored over Cesaro. We’ll continue to follow and hopefully provide a clearer picture prior to the pay-per-view on Sunday.
- Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz had an epic altercation at the UFC 202 press conference. You can watch it embedded in the video below, please advise language is NSFW:
- The fourth episode of UFC 202 Embedded has more footage that you can watch below. Again, language is NSFW:
- Saturday is a huge night as WWE NXT TakeOver Brooklyn: II and UFC 202 will take place. We’ll be covering both shows right here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com, followed by SummerSlam on Sunday.
- Gawker.com announced on Thursday they’ll shut down next week after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites and the Hulk Hogan lawsuit backed by Peter Thiel. Here’s what Gawker wrote:
After nearly fourteen years of operation, Gawker.com will be shutting down next week. The decision to close Gawker comes days after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites, and four months after the Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel revealed his clandestine legal campaign against the company.
Nick Denton, the company’s outgoing CEO, informed current staffers of the site’s fate on Thursday afternoon, just hours before a bankruptcy court in Manhattan will decide whether to approve Univision’s bid for Gawker Media’s other assets. Staffers will soon be assigned to other editorial roles, either at one of the other six sites or elsewhere within Univision. Near-term plans for Gawker.com’s coverage, as well as the site’s archives, have not yet been finalized.
- Hogan basked in the glory:
- Vince McMahon sold 1,547,373 shares of WWE stock at $19.32 per share on Wednesday for estate planning. The Chairman netted $29,895,227.04 from the sale.
- Chael Sonnen and his family are dealing with the loss of his newborn daughter. According to reports, Sonnen’s baby daughter, Blauna Dian Sonnen, died on Wednesday after she was born 10 weeks premature last week in Portland, Oregon. Sonnen’s wife, Brittany, had to deliver early after contracting listeria.
- Pro Wrestling Sheet reports that Nikki Bella has received medical clearance to return to the ring.
Did you enjoy today’s Exclusive Update? Please consider leaving a tip…