- Bill Goldberg was a guest on ESPNNews’s “Off the Top Rope” segment last night on SportsCenter. Jonathan Coachman asked him about a possible return to the ring. Goldberg stated he was an old man now and that he would have to think about it at 49 years old. He was very noncommittal and said that it was a dichotomy and plugged the upcoming release of WWE 2K17. Goldberg talked about his 10-year-old son and his wife never seeing him wrestle and an entire generation of kids who don’t know who the hell he is unless they look online. He doesn’t owe Brock Lesnar a rematch but said if he ever came back, that would be the match. Goldberg said you never say never and admitted he would have to work his ass off to get ready for a match against Lesnar. Goldberg said that he was going to do some soul-searching, talk to his family but he doesn’t want to bastardize anything he did. If anyone can do it, it’s him but give him until the end of the year. Dot com posted the segment that you can watch at this link.
- We first reported in our Members content in mid-June that WWE was in early talks with Goldberg about working at Wrestlemania 33 next year. At the time, we noted Goldberg really wanted a match against Lesnar but was also open to working John Cena or Roman Reigns. TMZ picked up on the talks a couple of months later. The word coming out of Raw was that a deal was imminent. However, no such deal was announced in the ESPN segment and one can still not be confirmed at press time. The stumbling block has always been a deep discrepancy in the money Goldberg wanted to return and the money WWE was willing to offer.
- Luke Harper returned to WWE at last night’s live event in Santiago, Chile. He teamed with WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens and went under to Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn. Harper has been out due to a knee injury.
- There are discrepancies developing in the stabbing of Alberto Del Rio over the weekend. Some are claiming that Paige was outside the restaurant in San Antonio and was involved in the altercation. One account even claims she was thrown by the suspect. Interestingly enough, no police report has been discovered at this point. A publication out of Mexico claims Del Rio and Paige were attacked by a drunken homeless man and noted he fled on foot when Del Rio checked on Paige after the attack. MEMBERS CONTENT - Alberto Del Rio Unable To Work In The United States
- TNA Wrestling was forced to canceled today’s Impact tapings due to Hurricane Matthew. They’re now scheduled to tape the remainder of shows on Saturday and Sunday from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.
- Stuart Tomlinson, who worked for WWE down in NXT as Hugo Knox, issued this statement about his release: ”I’d like to confirm that through mutual agreement I have parted company with WWE. I would sincerely like to thank all those helped me through my time with the company including Coaches, professional peers, friends and supportive fans alike. I have nothing but respect for the industry and business which people work tirelessly to succeed in. It’s been an extraordinary learning curve and has left me a better person for the experience.”
- Patrick Clark chipped a tooth during his match against Rich Swann that aired on this week’s episode of WWE NXT. WWE posted a video of him getting fixed at this link.
- We reported last night here on Wrestling News World that Daniel Cormier will defend the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship against Anthony Johnson at UFC 206 in Toronto on December 10, 2016. Several fights have now been confirmed for that show as here is the updated card:
* Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship
* Zach Makovsky vs. John Moraga
* John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
* Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
* Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
* Valérie Létourneau vs. Poliana Botelho
- Julianna Pena wants a shot at Amanda Nunes and the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship. Pena is ranked number five in the UFC women’s 135-pound division and boasts an impressive resume but it’s clear why neither Pena nor Nunes have been booked. UFC is waiting on the return of Ronda Rousey, who is rumored to be available to challenge Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas.
- The USADA gave Nate Diaz a warning for vaping at the UFC 202 post-fight press conference last August. There will be no suspension or further discipline. For those that missed it, Diaz openly vaped while answering questions and stated the pen contained cannabidiol. Because cannabidiol is a banned substance, the USADA, the organization that handles the UFC’s drug testing, opened an investigation. They ruled Diaz mistakingly believed the in-competition period ended after his post-fight drug test. All of Diaz’s drug tests came back clean.
- If you missed it on our main listing, UFC Fight Night 97, which was scheduled as a UFC Fight Pass event in the Philippines on October 15, will be rescheduled after BJ Penn had to withdrawal due to a rib injury he suffered in training.