- Jerry Lawler was removed from WWE commentary in a shock announcement made on Wednesday. Raw’s announce team will now be comprised of Michael Cole, Corey Graves and Byron Saxton. Mauro Ranallo, JBL and David Otunga will call Smackdown Live. Tom Phillips will work both WWE Superstars and WWE Main Event as Graves will join him for Superstars and Otunga on Main Event. Lawler had heat recently for being arrested on domestic violence charges but his suspension from WWE was lifted as soon as the charges were dropped. WWE made no mention of his removal and it’s unknown if he’ll continue to be employed by the company, with them looking to transition him into another role like they did with Jim Ross. King had not commented at press time.
- Johnathan Coachman asked John Cena about Brock Lesnar’s anti-doping issue during Cena’s appearance on the WWE segment last night on ESPN. Cena talked about helping to promote Lesnar’s fight at UFC 200 and the perception of Brock Lesnar being altered due to the news. John said that Brock has a long, hard road ahead of him. We’re going to address whether or not WWE will suspend Lesnar in today’s installment of Ask WNW that will be up shortly.
- Nikki Bella is still expecting to return to the ring and is due for further examination on her neck this week.
- We have more details on the WWE talent under contracts that were not part of the 2016 Draft. Emma wasn’t drafted because she’s out with a back injury. Heath Slater just simply wasn’t drafted. Luke Harper is out with a torn ACL. As we just mentioned, Nikki Bella is dealing with a neck issue. The Rock is just a part-time performer and has no scheduled WWE dates at press time. Rosa Mendes is on maternity leave. Ryback couldn’t agree to terms of a new contract and is likely on his way out. We learned yesterday his deal is up in either August or October. Tamina Snuka is out with a knee injury. Triple H we explained here in our Members content. Tyson Kidd is out with a career-threatening injury and it’s unlikely he’ll be cleared again by WWE. His contract is up soon. The Undertaker wasn’t used in the Draft because he asked not to be drafted and is still telling people he’s finished. We have the latest on him at this link as well.
- Cesaro seemed to shoot on being a late draft pick to Raw in a WWE DraftCenter Live interview with JoJo. Cesaro talked about wanting to be drafted a little higher and his desire to be on Smackdown Live. The original plan did in fact have him going to Smackdown, where Cesaro himself said he would have been a better fit. It wouldn’t be the first time a contract under talent has expressed frustration after being drafted, as Jim Ross did so when he was drafted from Raw to Smackdown several years ago.
- WWE essentially spoiled their own draft with advanced advertisements for future tours. There were some exceptions that reflected some last minute changes that were made on Tuesday evening but the draft was very much by the book. NXT talent that are now main roster stars include Finn Balor (Raw), Nia Jax (Raw), American Alpha (Smackdown), Alex Bliss (Smackdown), Mojo Rawley (Smackdown) and Carmella (Smackdown). A lot of people asked about Samoa Joe but he’s still WWE NXT Champion so it’s fairly obvious why he wasn’t drafted.
- UFC President Dana White spoke Tuesday night at the 2016 Republican National Convention. White talked about Donald Trump being the first person to believe in the UFC. You can watch his speech at this link. If you missed Melania Trump’s speech from the night before, we have a brief excerpt: "Mean Gene, the first thing you need to do is to tell these people to shut up if you wanna' hear what I've got to say… The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling. These two men right here came from a great big organization up north and everybody was wondering who the third man was. Well, who knows more about that organization than me, brother?… Let me tell you something. I made that organization a monster. I made people rich up there. I made the people that ran that organization rich up there.”
Did you enjoy today’s Exclusive Update? Please consider leaving a tip…