- The big news on Tuesday was the viewership numbers that WWE Raw did this past Monday night. This week’s show, which averaged 2,684,333 viewers (off hours of 2.734, 2.686 and 2.633), was the lowest non-holiday audience WWE’s flagship show has done since the 1990s. The company was obviously expecting competition to increase with Monday Night Football coming back but we’re expecting a reaction from Vince McMahon over the dwindling viewership. Vince remains the main creative influence for both Raw and Smackdown and one of the main criticisms prior to the brand extension in July is they didn’t have enough talent depth to carry viewership.
- MEMBERS CONTENT: We have a big story online for Members only, detailing a top talent from Ring of Honor that is expected to leave for WWE. Find out who it is, what ROH did to upset them and when it could happen at this link. Make sure to check out WNWHD.com for a live account from Smackdown, more Ask WNW and an enhanced visiting experience! CLICK HERE TO SIGNUP NOW.
- A match for the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship was added to WWE’s upcoming No Mercy pay-per-view. The card for that show is as follows:
* AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John Cena in a triple threat match for the WWE Championship
* Becky Lynch vs. Alexa Bliss for the WWE Smackdown Women’s Championship
* Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. The Usos for the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship
- WWE No Mercy will take place on Sunday, October 9, 2016 from the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, California. We’ll have complete coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- In yesterday’s Exclusive update, we wrote about Randy Orton weighing in on the athlete protests during the playing of the National Anthem; now, he’s weighed in on a story where a teacher in North Carolina was suspended for stomping on an American flag during a history lesson. ”Suspends? Should fire his ass!” Orton tweeted. When someone tweeted him this: ”it's literally just a flag” Orton replied with this: 'Literally just a flag' wow. Loss for words That didn’t stop the follower from questioning Randy about other things going on in the country: “black people are dying randy. Where's your anger for that?” Orton’s response: ”Americans are dying. Pigment of skin doesn't matter. American people matter.”
- AJ Styles will defend the WWE Championship against Dean Ambrose on next week’s episode of Smackdown Live.
- Jim Ross spoke to Terry Funk about him having to leave Tommy Dreamer’sHouse of Hardcore show early over the weekend. Funk had just underwent abdominal hernia surgery four days before he flew out for the show. He went against doctor’s orders to rest to make the booking and when he got there, he didn’t feel well and asked if he could leave early. Funk stated he is just fine. You can read more from JR at this link.
- Zeb Colter talked to Sports Illustrated about his failed pairing with Alberto Del Rio and WWE refusing to put him back with Jack Swagger. Here’s an excerpt: “WWE failed to take into account that it didn’t make a lot of sense,” said Mantell. “Remember, I hated Alberto Del Rio, and he hated me. So, all of a sudden, I disappeared and came back. But it’s not necessarily the first step in wrestling that is the most important, because it’s the second step that identifies and clarifies the first one. That’s what we didn’t do. There was no chemistry, but there was also no logical explanation as to why I would be with Alberto. I said to the guys in the back, ‘I’m not getting the story,’ but people kept saying, ‘Just wait.’ I’ve walked on enough wrestling floors, and I know if a crowd isn’t getting a certain vibe. The chemistry wasn’t there with me and Alberto… I suggested that I get back with Jack… What I really wanted to say during my return was, ‘When I was away, I realized that, instead of building walls, we should be building bridges. Instead of hating on people, I should be loving people.’ That was the build-up, but then we’d find out that, while I was away, I was really having a s--- fit about every son of a b---- who f----- me over, and Alberto was one of them. So my plan was to convince Alberto to let Jack join us, and then we’d do the big turn at the end, and that would have helped everybody. They didn’t see it that way, and Del Rio wanted to stay a heel. So I worked six weeks with Alberto, then they went their way and I went mine.” You can read the complete interview at this link.
- UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez wants to fight Conor McGregor at UFC 205, tweeting this:
Let's do this @TheNotoriousMMA I'm ready !! Your futures not bright enjoy this one while it last . #ItsAllOver
Without tagging him on Twitter, McGregor tweeted a two word response: ”Beg me”
When someone asked Dana White on Twitter if McGregor vs. Alvarez will take place at UFC 205, he tweeted, “not true it's @TeamKhabib” So it would appear the fight will be Alvarez vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC Lightweight Championship. In fact, Nurmagomedov tweeted that he and Dana are waiting for Alvarez to sign the contract.
- UFC has hired Mick Maynard to replace Joe Silva as its matchmaker. Maynard joins Sean Shelby as the executives that are responsible for booking talent. Silva of course will be retiring at the end of the year.
- UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs. Poirier did an average viewing audience of 826,000 viewers on Fox Sports 1 on Saturday night. That was good enough for the most-watched sports event that was not college football.
WNW HD is Now Open! It’s more than a network with more backstage news, more interactive features and an opportunity for readers to connect as passionate fans. For a limited of time you can SIGNUP NOW with a 10% discount by using the coupon code GOHD!