Welcome to the Powerslam Newsletter
Issue #18, Monday, July 1, 2013
I hope everyone is having a great start to their week. Happy Canada Day to our friends up north as we celebrate Independence Day here in the US on Thursday. We're taking some time off this week but I don't expect there to be a big drop-off in coverage. Stay tuned for news, spoilers and results. We're the best in the world at what we do!
Don't forget we're now mailing this as all you have to do to get it sent directly to you is to subscribe at this link.
- This week's WWE Monday Night Raw emanates from the Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, Iowa. Triple H, Vince McMahon and Chris Jericho are all advertised for the show, joining John Cena, CM Punk, Sheamus and Ryback as the top names. The top match advertised was made last week with Punk teaming with WWE Intercontinental Champion Curtis AxelThe Prime Time Players. The obvious promotional point is Punk's relationship with Paul Heyman. John Cena's program with Mark Henry for the WWE title will be continued.
- Shawn Michaels made headlines last week when he stated in an interview with the Ministry of Slam wrestling radio show that he recently had a conversation with Vince McMahon in which VInce said he just didn't see money in a particular guy. Michaels reminded Vince that he said the same thing about him. This resulted in widespread Internet speculation about the identity, which led to Michaels saying he was not talking about Daniel Bryan. While Michaels didn't give the name, he said the guy was 6'3 250 lbs.
- Christian, Daniel Bryan, Harry Smith, Justin Gabriel, Damien Sandow, Curt Hawkins and Hornswoggle were in attendance at the Tyson Kidd/Natalya wedding ceremony last Wednesday night in Sarasota, Florida. The wedding will air on E!'s "Total Divas" later this month.
- Booker T is set to return to WWE TV soon after undergoing an elbow clean out and survey to repair a torn triceps tendon.
- A homicide investigation has been launched in the death of Matt Osborne. Investigators believe the death was accidental and this is seen more as procedural than anything else. Osborne is formerly known as Doink the Clown and died Friday at a Dallas/Ft. Worth hospital after being found unresponsive.
- Bray Wyatt returned to the ring Friday night at a WWE live event in Bismarck, North Dakota. He'd been out with a minor arm injury suffered at the WWE NXT TVs a couple weeks ago.
- WWE is in the process of moving from the Florida Championship Wrestling facility in Tampa to the new WWE Performance Center in Orlando. Everything must go as the company prepares for the grand opening of their new state of the art facility next month. The company is also making personnel changes with Rob Naylor departing.
- Naylor got a huge sendoff from his co-workers as Saturday night his friends in the company got the hashtag #ThankYouNaylor to trend Twitter. CM Punk helped out quite a bit by holding a Q&A with the hashtag. Naylor, who will depart WWE following the move to Orlando, will be working personally for Dusty Rhodes. FCW President Steve Keirn will also be departing the company. Norman Smiley will remain on as a trainer with WWE NXT.
- Below is the updated lineup for WWE Money in the Bank 2013 following the airing of this week's episode of Smackdown:
WWE Championship Match
- John Cena © vs. Mark Henry
World Heavyweight Championship Match
- Alberto Del Rio © vs. Dolph Ziggler
Money in the Bank Ladder Match for a WWE Championship Contract
- CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Sheamus vs. Christian vs. Kane vs. Rob Van Dam
Money in the Bank Ladder Match for a World Heavyweight Championship Contract
- Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Fandango vs. Jack Swagger vs. Antonio Cesaro
- Ryback vs. Chris Jericho
WWE Money in the Bank 2013 will take place Sunday, July 14, 2013 from the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Make sure you join us for exclusive live play-by-play coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Here are some sales figures for the latest WWE DVDs: 12 Rounds 2: Reloaded sold 31,855 copies in its first week. This is down 52,000 units from The Marine 3 in its opening week. Speaking of which, The Marine 3 is up to 167,559 units sold in North America. The chart is available at this link. Wrestlemania 29 has sold 92,740 units in its first three weeks.
- Reports surfaced last week the physical WWE Hall of Fame will be built in Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, replacing the NBA City Table Service. We're told not so fast, my friends! The deal isn't done yet and Universal actually leaked the news of WWE negotiations. WWE remains in active negotiations with a couple of other locations, one of which is on I-DRIVE. Obviously the word is out of WWE's interest in the NBA City Table Service spot in Universal. We're told there are other companies trying to land the spot in Universal so the leak might have been intentional to drive up the lease offers on the location.
- SCTimes.com caught up with Larry "The Axe" Hennig to discuss the repackaging of his grandson, Curtis Axel. “He’s no overnight sensation,” Hennig said. “He’s been working hard the past five years to get where he’s at. And he deserves it. He’s representing a billion dollar company. You have to be good or you’re going to be gone. They can’t afford any misfires there.”
- The sister of Nancy Benoit, Sandra Toffoloni, spoke out about the Benoit Family Tragedy in a chilling interview six years later. No recap really does it justice as you just need to check out the entire thing starting here but there are a few things that I would like to note. She doesn't buy into the concussion theory and dismisses rumors of Late-Onset Schizophrenia. Toffoloni believes Chris "blacked out" due to prolonged steroid and drug abuse, coupled later with alcohol. She said the medical examiner felt Chris would have died within 10 months of when it happened due to his heart being "3 times normal" size. Toffoloni also said Chris at least considered the fact he could cover the murders up and was booking flights to get to the WWE show in Beaumont.
- CM Punk has been added to this week's Smackdown taping. This week's show will be taped Tuesday night from the Landon Arena in Topeka, Kansas. We'll have full taping results here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Frito-Lay's "Doritos Jacked" chips are the primary sponsor of SummerSlam. WWE SummerSlam 2013 will take place Sunday, August 18, 2013 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
- Rebecca Quin, who became known as Rebecca Knox on the independent scene, is headed to WWE developmental
- It was explained that TNA Champion Bully Ray didn't work TNA live events last Thursday or Friday due to a "medical emergency." Someone said he had pink-eye but I can't confirm that as of press time. He worked the Impact Wrestling tapings last Saturday night in Las Vegas.
- TNA has retired the Knockout Tag Team Championship. The titles were last seen on the June 20, 2013 episode of Impact Wrestling where Eric Young and ODB were stripped of them.
- Brooke Hogan and Dallas Cowboys center Phil Costa got engaged over the weekend in Las Vegas.
- Shawn Michaels recently admitted that he reached out to Eric Bischoff about possibly making an appearance on Shawn Michaels' MacMillan River Adventures.
- Gail Kim and Taryn Terrell received very high marks for their work in a ladder match taped for the July 11th episode of Impact Wrestling on Saturday night. "They tore the house down again," one source remarked.
- Speaking of Impact Wrestling in Las Vegas, we heard attendance was strong. We don't have official numbers but we're hearing very good things.
- King Mo has a lot of the OVW trainers raving about his work ethic and commitment to learning the pro wrestling business. He has been described as a fan that is just a pure athlete.
- Five members of the Main Event Mafia have been announced. We won't post them here for the sake of spoilers but you can check them out at this link.