The Armpit has teamed with Wrestling News World to provide a fun and interactive weekly wrestling quiz. Here's this week's installment:
Welcome to The Armpit wrestling quiz for the week of November 28, 2016. We took last week off for Thanksgiving, and while we were gone the Survivor Series main event was all the talk in pro wrestling. Therefore this quiz will be about “Bill Goldberg.”
Congratulations to last week’s winner: Fred Adams.
Last week’s answers:
1) Trump Plaza hosted WrestleManias IV and V. Vince probably got a great deal on those venues, but they made for a very poor atmosphere (especially as the NWA had red hot shows in opposition on free cable TV at the same exact time).
2) The WBF and WWF TV shows sold their supplement called ICOPRO.
3) At WrestleMania XX, Donald Trump was interviewed at ringside by a former Governor himself, Jesse Ventura. Whenever celebrities like Trump sit in the front row, I always wonder where they use the restroom. I can’t imagine Trump or any other celeb standing in line with everyone else, but the visual is funny. Maybe they wear giant adult diapers like Jim Ross did when he called the Wrestle Kingdom 9 show in Tokyo.
4) The Bobby Lashley vs Umaga match at WrestleMania 2007, which set business records thanks to Trump’s involvement, was a hair vs hair match. That is the night, of course, where Trump and Steve Austin shaved Vince McMahon’s head.
5) In storyline, Trump purchased Monday Night Raw from Vince McMahon, and then sold it back to him for twice what Vince paid.
6) Trump’s first move as the new owner of Raw was to air the show the following week without commercials. Most of you missed this question. This gimmick led to a significant increase in the ratings that week.
7) The Lashley vs Umaga match at WrestleMania 23, with Trump and Vince in their respective corners, was billed as the “Battle of the Billionaires.”
This week’s questions:
1. Bill Goldberg first made his name in football, where he was a star at the University of Georgia. He made it to the NFL, though he didn’t play much due to injuries. Three NFL teams drafted him over the course of his football career. Which one of these teams did NOT draft him?
a) San Francisco 49ers
b) Carolina Panthers
c) Atlanta Falcons
d) Los Angeles Rams
2. Bill’s older brother Mike Goldberg has a connection to pro wrestling that shows what a small world it really is sometimes. When Mike was at the University of Minnesota, his roommate was what future NWA/WCW/WWE legend?
a) Terry Funk
b) Dusty Rhodes
c) Ric Flair
d) Rick Steamboat
3. Goldberg’s first match in WCW was against famed jobber Buddy Lee Parker. Parker was chosen because he helped train Goldberg in WCW’s wrestling school, and while that school didn’t exactly have a great track record, they did produce the biggest star of the Nitro era. What was the name of WCW’s training school?
a) Monster Factory
b) Power Plant
c) Slammer’s Gym
d) School of Hard Knocks
e) House of Hardcore
4. The highlight of Goldberg’s career was undoubtedly his WCW Title victory over Hulk Hogan at the Georgia Dome. While Hogan would like you to believe he and Goldberg drew that huge sellout crowd, the truth is it was sold out before they even announced the match (that’s how hot WCW was at the time). Which of the following is true about that famous match?
a) It main evented a successful WCW pay-per-view and brought in millions of dollars
b) It main evented Clash of the Champions and drew a big rating
c) It aired free on WCW Monday Nitro and defeated Raw in the ratings that week
5. At Survivor Series last week, there was fear that the Toronto crowd would boo Goldberg for what he did to Bret Hart in 1999. As it turned out, he was universally cheered. What did Goldberg do to Bret that would’ve caused the Toronto crowd to be upset with him?
a) He was involved in the Montreal screwjob behind the scenes
b) He made some derogatory remarks about Bret in media interviews
c) He blew his nose with the Canadian flag
d) He and Bret got into a backstage altercation
e) He delivered a stiff kick to Bret at Starrcade and gave him a legit concussion that Bret never recovered from
6. 1999 was a bad year for WCW, but December in particular was disastrous. Goldberg suffered a severe injury that kept him out of action for several months, and meanwhile the WWF was on fire with Steve Austin and the rise of the Rock. What was Goldberg’s injury?
a) Concussion from a bad chair shot in a no DQ match
b) Sliced his arm punching through a limousine window in backstage angle
c) Broke his neck taking a stiff power bomb
d) Suffered internal injuries in a motorcycle accident
7. For all the knocks on Goldberg as an actual wrestler, he turned in a forgotten **** match with Scott Steiner at WCW Fall Brawl 2000. While Steiner is one of the all-time tag team greats, he was considered past his prime by this point, and so massively muscled that he wasn’t very mobile. Why did Steiner wear a protective mask in that match?
a) He had just had surgery and didn’t want any shots to the face
b) It was a mask vs mask match
c) He was selling an injury from TV where Goldberg hit him with a lead pipe
d) Goldberg worked stiff, and Steiner was protecting himself because Steiner doesn’t like people who work stiff
8. After WCW folded, the WWF didn’t pick up his expensive contract. Instead he stayed home and collected huge paydays for doing nothing. It wasn’t until 2003 when he finally came, at the urging of Rock, who wanted to work a program with him. His WWF run was considered a failure, as they didn’t book him correctly the way WCW originally did. On his first night on Raw, Goldberg got into a legit backstage altercation with which brave wrestler?
a) Brock Lesnar
b) Evan Karagais
c) Shawn Michaels
d) Hurricane Helms
e) Chris Jericho
9. Goldberg’s last WWE match before last week was also against Brock Lesnar. It was one of the feature matches at WrestleMania XX in 2004, with Steve Austin as the referee. The match was marred by the MSG crowd booing both men vociferously. Why were they booing?
a) The match was awful and the crowd let them know it
b) They knew it was their final match in the company
c) Both men were booked as heels leading into the match
d) Austin was making them wrestle clean, and the fans wanted them to fight dirty
e) Both men had insulted NY sports teams in the local media
Please email your answers to Quiz@armpit-wrestling.com. We will randomly generate a number to determine the winner. For example, if the number is 25 and you’re the 25th person to email us with correct answers, you win. Winners receive a free copy of our brand new e-book “The Armpit Wrestling Quiz Archives: Volume 1.” It features 128 quizzes we’ve written over the years and clocks in at 420 pages and a whopping 1,079 questions on pro wrestling history dating back to the 1980s. We’ll also announce your name here next week, along with anything you’d like to promote (assuming it’s not X-rated or illegal). It could be your name, blog, Twitter handle, or anything else you’d like us to mention.
Answers will be posted next week. Have fun and good luck.
We would like to encourage you to download our *FREE* pro wrestling and mixed martial arts news app! It's available in the Apple App Store and in Google Play. Once you download and love it, please submit a review! Thank you for your support!