Welcome to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium Newsletter. This is where you will find all of the big news and Ask WNW segments from the week neatly archived for your viewing pleasure. This week's edition covers news from Saturday, August 16, 2014 to Friday, August 22, 2014 as well as all five Ask WNW segments from the week. Use this newsletter as your own personal tool to catch up on any of the news that you may have missed during the week. Below is a table of contents:
Note From Richard: For those that have asked, the Newsletter is organized with the news posted on Saturday at the top with the most recent stories at the bottom. We have it organized this way so you can read the news in the order in which it happened. Thanks for your support!
- We noted on Friday that WWE plans to "turn the page" with their new WWE Network style logo on Monday. Shortly thereafter the following photo of Vince McMahon showing off the new logo at WWE headquarters was Tweeted out on Friday evening. You can view the Tweet below:
- IGN.com has a new Q&A online with Daniel Bryan. In it, he addresses his health and the current Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella, including the twist where he's an "adulterer." Below are the highlights:
Health, second surgery & possible return:
Right, yeah. I don't know how things are going. For example, I was supposed to have a second surgery scheduled for Tuesday, but they postponed it to do some more testing -- and this has been the frustrating part for me. The nervous system is very complex. So there's been debate about, "Okay, does he need a second surgery? Does he not need a second surgery?" And people have kind of been going back and forth on it. Then finally we decided, "Okay, he needs the surgery." We're going to go get the surgery -- no, wait, nope! We're going to go do some more tests. So I would obviously prefer to not get the surgery, but if I'm going to do it, I want to do it as soon as possible, because the sooner I do it, the sooner I get back. The surgery they're talking about doing is a three-month recovery. I've already been out three months, so that's another three months. So you'd like to get that done as soon as you can -- if it needs to be done. If it doesn't need to be done, let's not do it! What they want to do is they want to take the nerve from down a along my elbow and then move it over, and then put it under my forearm muscle there [pointing at arm]. So it's, like, rewiring me. [Laughs] I don't like that at all.
Him being an "adulterer" in Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella:
Wait, by "interesting," do you mean "stupid"? [Laughs] Yeah, to me, it's groan-worthy. I don't think it added anything to the story. It was just like, "Ugh!" But, you know, they do what they do, and you just gotta roll with the punches. It's funny, because I feel like sometimes you just have to overcome these things more so than anything else. Like, Brie and Stephanie have to overcome that flaw. To me, that was a flaw in the story. The story was so good, and then here's this flaw in it. But it's whatever. It doesn't hurt my feelings or anything, you know? It's entertainment. It's not real, so okay.
Click here to read the piece in its entirety.
- Rey Mysterio, who by all accounts is disgruntled in WWE, Tweeted well wishes to Alberto Del Rio ahead of his appearance with AAA at Triplemania XXII on Sunday. The Tweet is as follows:
Wrestling News World reader Osvaldo Perez provided the following translation:
"I wish the best for my friend ADR in his first debute in TripleMania! Good luck to my brother to the *Then the emoji icons*
The added element to this is Triplemania will air opposite of SummerSlam on Sunday.
- Hulk Hogan discussed his final encounter with Ultimate Warrior on Grantland.com's "SummerSlam Spectacular" edition of their Cheap Heat Podcast. You can listen at this link.
Warrior's widow, Dana, was not happy about it. She issued the following statement through Facebook:
Vince McMahon answered Triple Hin the "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge," saying anything he can do, he can "definitely" do better.
Vince made it clear that it's important to make a donation to ALS and challenged billionaire Donald Trump, Maria Menounos and Kermit the Frog.
You can watch the hilarious video at this link.
Click here to donate to ALS research.
- Sam Roberts interviewed Sting at Saturday's WWE 2K15roster reveal in Los Angeles, California. Sting continued to express desire in one more match against The Undertaker. You can watch the interview at this link.
- Wrestling News World reader Mike sent word that on the Canadian broadcast of Smackdown on SportsNet 360, instead of showing The Miz vs. Roman Reigns, they showed an older match featuring Alberto Del Rio. This was actually an error from the network as they inserted the wrong bout into this week's broadcast. While the error was included on the first run airing of Smackdown, it was fixed on subsequent airings.
- Wrestling News World reader Eloy Tijerina sent this link that goes to a SummerSlam Retro Report with "Mean" Gene Okerlund.
- There is a special presale for those that attended Saturday's WWE live event in San Jose, California to obtain tickets to next year's Wrestlemania 31 pay-per-view at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. The presale password is SANJOSE. You can read more information at this link.
Sunday, August 17, 2014 2:26 PM EDT Update: There's a lot of confusion about this presale. Please be advised the presale is for those that attended the show in San Jose. If you bought a ticket, there will be a promotional email sent to you. You can use the password to buy tickets from there. Tickets ARE NOT available to the general public yet. End update.
- Ausgamers.com conducted an interview with Sheamus about WWE 2K15. Click here to watch it.
- Nikki Bella took part in the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge," also nominating John Cena, Brie Bella and "Talk Soup" host Joel McHale. Watch now at this link.
- The new Marvel film, Guardians of the Galaxy, in which Batista plays the role of Drax the Destroyer, continues to do very well at the box office. According to TheWarp.com, the film surpassed the $200 million mark on Friday. Click here for more.
- There are plans for Roman Reigns to debut a different kind of vest at Sunday's SummerSlam pay-per-view. Reigns told CraveOnline.com that it's the same template as what he's been wearing but a different set up. He plans to debut a "whole different type of vest" by Wrestlemania 31. You can read all of the comments from Reigns at this link.
- The cameras for Total Divas have taped a lot of content lately, as there was a bridal shower for Eva Marie on Sunday. Apparently, her wedding ceremony will be this week. You can view a photo of Eva and her mother at the shower at this link.
- Total Divas is scheduled to return to E on Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 9 PM ET/PT. We noted about filming earlier on Sunday, the LA Times interviewed the cast to promote the premiere of Season 3. Click here to read it.
- The last I heard, Maryse was scheduled to attend SummerSlam at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. She's of course the real life wife of The Miz, who will be defending the WWE Intercontinental Championship against Dolph Ziggler. They live in LA. Speaking of Maryse, I'm told company officials have inquired about a return but no word on her response as of press time.
- Speaking of The Miz, he was interviewed by Sam Roberts. Watch it at this link.
- Vince McMahon challenged Maria Menounos to the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" and she accepted. You can watch her video here.
- AfterBuzz TV interviewed Stephanie McMahon at a Be a STAR anti-bullying rally in Los Angeles prior to the SummerSlam pay-per-view on Sunday. When asked about her match against Brie Bella, Stephanie asked if the interviewer was asking in-character or out of character. He said whatever she preferred.
Stephanie said in-character, she would say she's at the top of her game and nothing rattles her.
Out of character, she admitted she's incredibly nervous because she just wants to do a good job.
You can watch the interview at this link.
- Dolph Ziggler beat The Miz in the opening match at SummerSlam to win the Intercontinental Championship. Ziggler hit the Zig-Zag for the win. Below is a picture of the new champion:
Hulk Hogan opened the show and cut a promo about SummerSlam and the WWE Network.
- Paige beat AJ Lee at SummerSlam to capture her second Divas Championship. Paige hit AJ with the DDT to get the win. You can view a picture of the new champion below:
- Rusev beat Jack Swagger at SummerSlam in what was supposed to be a Flag Match. The rules for the Flag Match were different than normal, but the Russian flag was raised outside the ring after their match.
- 17,357 was the announced attendance for the 27th annual SummerSlam, which is a sell out.
- Maria Menounos was shown sitting in the front row at SummerSlam. Bill Simmons and Michelle Beadle are also in attendance. Ronda Rousey is backstage at SummerSlam. View WWE's Tweet below:
- A video package aired during tonight's pay-per-view announcing that SummerSlam will take place in New York/New Jersey next year. SummerSlam has taken place in Los Angeles the last six years.
The video package can be watched at this link.
- Eric Stonestreet and Dennis Haskins are also backstage at SummerSlam. Below is a pic of The Miz and Stonestreet:
- Brock Lesnar beat John Cena in the main event of SummerSlam to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
Lesnar hit 16 suplexes and at least two F5's during the match. It was a great effort from both men, with Lesnar ultimately walking out as champion. You can view a pic of new champion below:
- After WWE SummerSlam went off the air, medical personnel attended to John Cena in the ring. It took a long time for him to get up and he didn't receive a babyface reaction. In fact, quite the opposite. The fans chanted, "thank you Lesnar" and started singing "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)."
Cena stumbled up the ramp with assistance.
While the crowd in attendance may not give Cena his due, I sure as heck am.
Further, what Cena did at SummerSlam shows the amount of respect he has for The Undertaker. Folks, he just sacrificed his body for the beating of a lifetime to sell the guy that ended the streak. I don't care if you like Cena's character or not, you have to respect him. He's earned that.
Thanks to Wrestling News World reader John4Anderson for his help tonight from inside the arena.
- Alberto Del Rio appeared at Triplemanía XXII at Arena Ciudad de México in Mexico City on Sunday. Del Rio stated that he had to deal with racism in WWE. His father, Dos Caras, joined him in the ring for the promo where he talked about his dignity and not being disrespected again.
Del Rio was interrupted by Los Perros del Mal and Konnan but he took care of them. His WWE theme music was used on his way out.
The second notable story from the show was Rey Mysterio. A video aired at the end of the show, assuring he would be in AAA soon. The hashtag #FreeRey was also used.
Our faithful correspondent Jorge Romero Tweeted us a photo of the video featuring Mysterio in a sombrero. You can view it below:
Del Rio was released from WWE earlier this month following a backstage incident with social media manager Cody Barbierri.
Mysterio is unhappy in WWE and wishes to return to Mexico.
Another very interesting element in all of this is AAA is coming to television in the United States. AAA will be airing a show on the El Rey Network that is set for a premiere in October.
- Following up on Alberto Del Rio's appearance at Triplemanía XXII on Sunday, I wanted to make a few notes on his claims of racism in WWE.
Del Rio's claims are valid following his encounter and subsequent confrontation with social media manager Cody Barbierri. We've already detailed the incident but where Del Rio gave WWE no option but to terminate him is when he physically confronted Barbierri.
As we reported here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com, had Del Rio properly reported the incident, Barbierri would have likely been suspended if not terminated. However, the way Del Rio handled it resulted in his termination.
While racism is Del Rio's claim, the claim WWE immediately reacted to was "unsafe work environment." Remember, the company was sued after a backstage incident at Royal Rumble 2013 involving Big Show and former WWE employee Andrew Green.
The last I heard, Barbierri could still face disciplinary action, however, it's unlikely to garner the same attention due to his lower profile.
Richard Reacts: It's been a couple of weeks now and I can say both Del Rio and Barbierri should be held accountable for their actions. Barbierri instigated the incident and had it not been for an inappropriate joke/comment, he likely wouldn't have caused Del Rio to react in an inappropriate fashion. However, Del Rio should have handled himself better and properly reported the incident to company officials. WWE's handling of the situation makes it appear they favored Barbierri over Del Rio and opens them up to claims of harboring racists in the workplace.
- Brian Fritz interviewed Daniel Bryan at the WWE 2K15 event over SummerSlam weekend. Fritz asked Bryan about his time outside of the ring, in which Bryan said he only does physical therapy and when he gets home, he works on his autobiography.
Bryan talked about his French bulldog jumping in Brie's mother's pool and him having to jump in after her without any strength in his right arm. He talked about his father passing away being the hardest day of his life. Bryan said the neck injury has been "a little bit demoralizing." He said it's his first major surgery in 15 years of wrestling but it's the timing of it that was unfortunate.
Bryan said a second surgery is still up in the air. He was originally scheduled for surgery on Tuesday but it was postponed to run more tests. Bryan said if he has another surgery, it's going to be at least another three months.
He said out of all the current active WWE stars, the match he wants is one against Brock Lesnar.
You can watch the interview at this link.
- The video of Rey Mysterio on Sunday's Triplemanía XXII has surfaced on YouTube. As we noted in our original report, the hashtag #FreeRey was used after the promo.
You can watch it at this link.
We detailed how Rey's issues with WWE go back a couple of years and more on his desire to leave at this link.
Mysterio has an active WWE Performer's Contract.
- TMZ has a great story on Titus O'Neil befriending a homeless man in Los Angeles on Saturday night. You can read it at this link.
- Jon "Bones" Jones posted video with Brock Lesnar backstage at WWE SummerSlam on Sunday. You can watch it below:
- Jones also posted a photo with Hulk Hogan and Big Show:
- Ronda Rousey, another high profile UFC name at SummerSlam, did an interview with dot com that can be read at this link.
- Sam Roberts interviewed John Cena over SummerSlam weekend, obviously prior to his main event WWE World Heavyweight Championship match against Brock Lesnar. Cena explained that he knew what he was in for in facing Lesnar after explaining how realistic the gameplay and graphics are in WWE 2K14.
Sam asked John if he was "bummed out" that Sting wants to wrestle The Undertaker. John said he's always on the bench waiting for the bullpen coach to put him in. Cena said it doesn't matter if it's him, Undertaker or Brooklyn Brawler, Sting has to have one match in WWE. Cena said selfishly as a fan, he wants it to be him and he believes everyone wants to see "Crow Sting."
Cena also heavily put over Cesaro. He said the WWE 2K15 panel was about as much personality as he's seen from Cesaro. Cena said he needs to do that every week and he'll be praising him as the next champion.
You can watch the interview at this link.
- Dana Warrior and her daughters were in attendance at SummerSlam on Sunday night. Dana Tweeted the following:
- TMZ.com caught up with WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman coming out of Morton's The Steakhouse in Los Angeles after SummerSlam on Sunday night. Lesnar said his win against John Cena isn't the defining moment of his career and he's just getting started.
Lesnar showed both titles, specifically pointing out the "John Cena" nameplate on the World Heavyweight Championship belt. He said he's not carrying two belts around when the photog asked if he was going to merge them. Lesnar said he came, he saw and he conquered. He double dog dared Cena to come back looking for another ass whipping.
You can watch the video embedded below:
- Tickets for WWE Survivor Series go on sale Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 11 AM ET at Ticketmaster.com. There should be a presale later in the week and if there is, we'll pass along details when we get them. Survivor Series 2014 will take place Sunday, November 23, 2014 from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO. Click here for coverage on dot com.
- Stephanie McMahon accepted the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" at SummerSlam after her match against Brie Bella. You can watch her take the challenge at this link.
- It was announced on the Raw Pre-Show that a special will air on the WWE Network Wednesday night featuring Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, and Roman Reigns and the road that each former member of The Shield took heading into SummerSlam.
- Fernando was at ringside during a tag team match taped for WWE Superstars. Fernando suffered an ankle injury in June at a house show and has been off the road ever since.
- WWE debuted the new logo on everything from the turnbuckles to the big "W" on the stage. A new theme song also played during Raw.
- A two-man German announce booth was shown at ringside. The German announce team was also at SummerSlam last night.
- Triple H and Stephanie McMahon presented Brock Lesnar with a new WWE Championship featuring the new WWE logo and customized side plates. This confirms that WWE has "retired" the World Heavyweight Championship belt.
As noted earlier today, Lesnar stated in an interview that he wasn't going to carry around both titles, leading to belief that we would just see one belt going forward.
You can view a picture of the new look below:
- Following the attack by Seth Rollins & Kane on Raw (full results at this link), WWE is running an injury angle with Dean Ambrose. He is said to have suffered "extensive head and spine trauma" as a result of the Curb Stomp from Rollins.
Although Ambrose was carried away from ringside on a stretcher, he eventually became responsive and refused treatment before escaping medical personnel. WWE physician Chris Amann continues in the following excerpt:
“At the time of bringing him backstage, he was responsive and was refusing transport to a local medical facility for further evaluation,” said Amann. “He had removed the straps and surgical collar, said he refused to go and we haven’t seen him since.”
Click here to read the full article.
- WWE will tape this week’s episode of Smackdown and air Main Event live tonight from the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona.
Big Show will face Erick Rowan on Main Event. Randy Orton will face Rob Van Dam on Smackdown. Advertised talent includes John Cena, Randy Orton, Triple H, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose & Kane. Click here for more from WWE.
Click here for local event information.
- In the latest edition of Sandow's 60, Damien Sandow announces that he will answer fan questions next week. Fans can send in questions using the hashtag #Sandow60. The video is available at this link.
- In this week’s Raw Fallout, Dean Ambrose gets stretchered out of the ringside area, Rob Van Dam discusses his victory and what's to come on Smackdown, Natalya says that she's going to take what's rightfully hers, & The Miz says it's just a matter of time before his vision of the Intercontinental Championship comes to fruition. The clips are embedded below:
- Ryback, who received a huge hometown reaction on Raw, thanked the crowd on Twitter after the match:
I needed that. Thank you Sin City.
- Dr. Shelby challenged his two "star pupils," Daniel Bryan & Kane, to complete the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The video is available at this link.
- Last night's WWE Raw received an average viewing audience of 4,194,000 on the USA Network coming off of WWE Summerslam from Sunday night. Raw was not the number one show as that was captured by the NFL pre-season game featuring Cleveland vs. Washington on ESPN. Below is the hourly breakdown for WWE Raw:
Hour one - 4,281,000 viewers
Hour two - 4,330,000 viewers
Hour three - 3,972,000 viewers
You can see how WWE Raw stacked up against other shows that aired last night at this link via TV By The Numbers.
- Triple H announced in a pre-taped video on this week's WWE Main Event that John Cena will challenge Brock Lesnar for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship next month at Night of Champions.
WWE Night of Champions will take place on Sunday, September 21, 2014 from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. We’ll have exclusive live play-by-play coverage at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Hulk Hogan challenged Johnny Manziel, Sylvester Stallone & Harvey Levin from TMZ while completing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The video is available at this link.
- In the latest edition of 5 Things, Tom Phillips previews 5 Worhd Championship matches to check out on WWE Network. The list is as follows:
Batista vs. The Undertaker - Steel Cage Match, Smackdown, 5/11/07
The Rock vs. Triple H - Smackdown, 4/29/99
Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle - WrestleMania XIX
Ric Flair vs. Vader - Starrcade 1993
Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker - Survivor Series 1991
The video is available at this link.
- Hulk Hogan, while speaking with X17 Online, had some stern words for Brock Lesnar. In addition to speaking on the WWE Performance Center, John Cena, and more, Hogan said the following:
If he starts throwing my name around, Brock, you and Heyman, it's like that old country-western song, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was," or however those words go. So, Brock Lesnar, you need to bite your tongue when you start throwing my name around. I've been tired of hearing it. I know this is all entertainment - we're supposed to have fun with it - but when he starts throwing my name around with my wife and kids, he's crossing a line.
The video is available at this link
- In Eden's latest video blog, she speaks with Lilian Garcia to get tips on her ring announcing. The video, which also features an appearance from The Great Khali, is available at this link.
- This week’s kayfabe sit-down interview between Triple H and Michael Cole is now online. They speak at length about Brock Lesnar's recent dominance, as well as John Cena. Triple H also posits that Brie Bella may be to blame for Nikki Bella's turn.
The conversation then turns to Dean Ambrose. Triple H says that the WWE Universe decided Ambrose's fate when they chose the stipulation for his match on Raw. The video is available at this link.
- John Cena came to the ring following the conclusion of this week's Smackdown tapings (full results at this link). Bray Wyatt, backed by The Wyatt Family, cut a promo about his victory at SummerSlam, as well as Cena's loss. He said that he sees an opportunity to finish Cena off here tonight. Cena said that doctors don't think he should even be here, but he's not good at listening to doctors. He told Bray that if he wanted some, to come get some. The Wyatt Family then surrounded the ring, only to be interrupted by Roman Reigns. Reigns ran down and joined Cena in the ring. A brawl between The Wyatt Family and Cena & Reigns ensued, ending with Cena hitting an Attitude Adjustment and Reigns hitting a Superman Punch and a Spear to send the crowd home happy.
- Dot com has uploaded several photos of the new WWE World Heavyweight Championship that debuted on Raw. Click here to view the photos.
Please note: I'm out of the office for the rest of the week on paternity leave, however, I will do my best to pop in and out over the next couple of days. Thank you for your support and understanding as I tend to my family.Backstage news from Monday Night Raw in Las Vegas, Nevada…
- Dean Ambrose was written off television to film his role in the upcoming WWE Studios production "Lockdown." That is the obvious part and wasn't the discussion making rounds backstage. What people were talking about was how the feud of Seth Rollins vs. Ambrose showed the company's ability to effectively book a mid-card program. The feeling backstage was that it was refreshing to see two guys not in the main event having a great feud.
- There was talk at one time to pair Nikki Bella with Seth Rollins, however, it was nixed due to the feeling that no one would buy it because of Nikki's relationship with John Cena being featured on Total Divas.
- Randy Orton was upset backstage about taking some stiff kicks in the tag match.
- Brock Lesnar has been in the plans for WWE Night of Champions for over a month, however, the decision for a rematch with John Cena wasn't made on Monday night. It will be interesting to see how that match is booked.
- b>David Shoemaker of GrantLand.com Tweeted that he heard Daniel Bryan needs Tommy John surgery and will be out at least three more months.
This is not necessarily a new update as it was known Bryan needed elbow surgery and once he had the surgery, it would require at least three more months of rehabilitation. What is new is the fact the procedure he needs is Tommy John surgery, a medical practice ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction.
It was believed Bryan had a nerve issue in his elbow, however, this would indicate the injury has to do with the UCL. The surgery is common in Major League Baseball as it's a surgical graft procedure in which the ulnar collateral ligament in the medial elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere in the body. The timeframe for a MLB pitcher is much longer and usually requires a full year of rehabilitation, however, it's shorter for position players due to less stress placed on the elbow.
Bryan said over SummerSlam weekend that he was originally scheduled for elbow surgery on Tuesday, however, it was postponed in order to run more tests.
The Tweets of David Shoemaker are below:
- Chris Jericho recently participated in a Q&A with IGN and spoke about why he's glad the brand extension is over, his favorite match, when Vince McMahon nixed a potential entrance music change & more. He also spoke on whether he was in favor of a John Cena heel turn in the following excerpt:
No, I think that's the prevailing attitude amongst a lot of Internet fans, but they're not thinking of the big picture - the amount of merchandise Cena sells, which I think is probably 5-to-1 to the closest competitor, and the people that like to chant "Cena sucks," half of them are wearing Cena shirts. And just all the work he's done. He's the most requested Make-A-Wish guy ever, more than anybody else, so those are the type of things you think about more than just having him turn heel. And the funny thing is, if he did turn heel, all of the people that said he sucked would be cheering him anyways, so sometimes Internet fans make me laugh at their immaturity, which is worse than mine - at their lack of knowledge.
The video is available at this link and embedded below:
- Zack Ryder, Goldust, Renee Young, Summer Rae & Darren Young are among the latest WWE talent to accept the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Their videos are embedded below:
- Superstars and Divas discuss their favorite cartoon characters and vacation spots in the latest episode of WWE Inbox, available at this link.
- Kurt Angle's contract with TNA Wrestling expires on September 21, 2014 and there continues to be a lot of speculation regarding his future. One thing that has become increasingly clear is the likelihood of him re-signing with TNA seems very slim. Angle has publicly stated he would be open to a WWE return and wants to explore his options.
In speaking with WWE sources, the feeling is they would not be interested in Angle as an in-ring performer. In fact, I was told recently the only role for Angle in WWE would be as a trainer in developmental (stemming from issues with his health and the fact the two parties parted on bad terms). However, there has been some change in opinion.
I'm told some people within WWE -- including Vince McMahon -- are not completely opposed to Angle returning to the ring. Apparently the change in position has to do with the need for someone to go right after Brock Lesnar and the fact there's no one to program him with after John Cena. The logic behind a potential Lesnar/Angle program would be he's an Olympic Gold Medalist and fans will buy that he has a chance and they have nothing to lose by putting Brock over him.
However, any contract for Angle to return to the ring in WWE would be contingent on him passing a physical. That would only be the short-term question as the long-term question would be, would he be able to "survive" a program with Brock to have any type of program after that?
Another point to consider is that WWE has never been overly enthusiastic about taking a talent straight from TNA and putting them back on television. That would be another issue but apparently it's legitimately being considered as Vince McMahon is reportedly very frustrated about not having a top babyface to program with Brock Lesnar.
- The Undertaker took the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge," however, the video is very difficult to watch due to no lighting. You can watch at this link.
- Mark Henry challenging Rusev on this week's Monday Night Raw after winning a tag team match was seen as a product of Raw scripts being "randomly pieced together."
- This week's episode of Smackdown will feature the new WWE logo. As we reported prior to SummerSlam, this week is considered the "start of the season" and the page turner. The finalization of the WWE logo began last Friday when Vince McMahonraised the new logo at corporate headquarters.
- Jesse Sherwood got it started here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- The latest on the #FreeRey saga is that WWE is claiming Rey Mysterio's Performer's Contract does not expire until June 2015. We're told there are no immediate plans to use him, however, they are trying to prevent him for as long as possible from defecting to AAA in Mexico. One source, speaking under the condition of anonymity, had this to say:
It could be a long wait for Rey.
- Former WWE talent Yoshi Tatus has a deal in place with New Japan Pro Wrestling and is just waiting to be told his start date. New Japan hopes to debut him before the end of the year, shooting for October or November.
- Not only will this week's episode of Smackdown feature an updated logo but it will feature a new three-man announce team. Tom Phillips -- from NXT and WWE Main Event -- debuted alongside JBL and Michael Cole at Tuesday's taping in Phoenix, Arizona.
“It was incredible to do that in front of the WWE Universe here in Phoenix,” Phillips told WWE.com after the taping had concluded. “They are loud, they are having a blast. Sitting out there with Michael Cole and JBL, they’re pretty intense, but it was fun, man. I was a little nervous, but it was fun.”
Dot com has more ahead of Phillips' Smackdown debut that you can read at this link.
- Dot com announced that Batista will appear at Fan Expo Canada on Saturday, August 30th at the Toronto Convention Center. His complete schedule at the event is available at this link.
- Stacy Keibler and her husband Jared welcomed their baby girl, Ava Grace Porbe, into the world on Wednesday, August 20, 2014. You can read the official announcement she made at this link. Congratulations!
- A video has surfaced on YouTube of a two-year-old naming 20 WWE stars based on their theme music in two minutes. You can watch at this link.
- Vince McMahon Tweeted about it:
- This week's episode of The JBL & Cole Show is now online at this link.
- Davey Richards broke his leg at Friday night's TNA Wrestling live event in Indiana, Pennsylvania. The injury happened in the main event, where he was to team with Eddie Edwards to oppose Devon and Mr. Anderson. Richards ended up being replaced by Abyss in the match.
He Tweeted the following:
As the action was ongoing in the ring, EMTs rushed backstage to assist Richards. He was taken to a local hospital for x-rays and treatment.
Edwards pinned Devon to go over in the show's main event. We have live results at this link.
- Dixie Carter is out of the darkness and into the light. After "blacking out" her profile on social media following the airing of the Team 3D table spot, the TNA President is preparing for her on-screen return to the company.
Carter noted on Twitter last week that she has invited Mike Tenay to her home to interview her. The following is from Twitter:
- TNA is heavily promoting the move of Impact Wrestling to Wednesday nights on Spike TV. The new slot begins this Wednesday at 9/8c with the Hardcore Justice-themed episode (taping results). While viewership had steadily increased on Thursday nights with the New York City shows, disaster struck last week. No new domestic TV deal has been agreed upon as of press time, however, there will be more TNA tapings next month.
- For those that missed it, Davey Richards broke his leg while working TNA's live event in Indiana, Pennsylvania. Abyss replaced him in the main event, in which he and Eddie Edwards went over Devon & Mr. Anderson.
Davey Tweeted that he arrived home on Saturday and went straight to rehab. He's hoping to be back in 4-6 weeks.
- Rafael Morffi finished up with TNA Wrestling at Sunday's live event in Hagerstown, Maryland.
- Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com is reporting that Bully Ray informed talent at Sunday's TNA live event in Hagerstown, Maryland that he doesn't expect to be back for the company.
This sounds eerily familiar to Bully Ray's situation with TNA a couple of years ago. In September 2012, Ray's TNA contract had expired and the belief was he had rejected contract extensions the company offered him at a lower rate.
Bully Ray Tweeted the following back then:
Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.Things are about to get interesting
While there could be some posturing involved here, TNA has been asking workers to take dramatic pay cuts from previous agreements. Examples of talent that have departed over the course of the last year include the likes of Hulk Hogan, Sting and AJ Styles. All three were asked to take significant pay cuts and refused.
Hogan and Sting have gone on to work for WWE in various capacities, while Styles has gone the independent and international route.
Bully Ray will remain on TNA television throughout next month as all of that programming is in the can. You can catchup with taping results at this link.
- TNA Wrestling has announced their next set of television tapings. The tapings will take place from the Sands Bethlehem Event Center in Bethlehem, PA on the following days:
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Tickets will officially go on sale on Friday, August 22, 2014 at Ticketmaster.com and start at $15.
Click here for official show information.
- TNA Wrestling announced on their website today that Impact Wrestling will remain on Spike TV through the end of the year and that "negotiations remain ongoing beyond this time frame." You can read the official statement below:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Aug. 20, 2014) – President Dixie Carter issued the following statement today:
“IMPACT WRESTLING will remain a vital part of Spike TV's programming on Wednesday nights, 9/8c, through the end of the year. Negotiations remain ongoing beyond this time frame.”
Tonight marks IMPACT WRESTLING’s official move to Wednesday nights. Tune in at 9/8c for the most anticipated night of hardcore wrestling on television. One of TNA’s most popular annual Pay-Per-Views “Hardcore Justice,” will be featured tonight, free on Spike TV.
Click here to view the statement on TNA's site.
News broke in July that Spike TV did not re-sign with TNA to air Impact Wrestling.
Stay tuned to WrestlingNewsWorld.com as we bring you the latest news on TNA's future.
- It was reported on Sunday that Bully Ray told talent at Sunday's TNA live event in Hagerstown, Maryland that he doesn't expect to be back for the company. From what I heard, the speech was not necessarily Bully Ray "saying goodbye" as much as it was him letting his co-workers know if he isn't seen there again. In other words, a precautionary speech if he ends up not agreeing on a contract extension with TNA Wrestling and not exactly a "farewell." As I mentioned on Sunday, Bully Ray was believed to be exiting the company two years ago but ended up re-signing and having the best singles run of his career.
- Spike TV has made overtures about buying 51% of TNA Wrestling. According to a source speaking under the condition of anonymity, the Carter family is interested but so far Dixie Carter has been resistant.
It could be a slow process and with Impact Wrestling set to go off the network at the end of the September, Spike made the decision to extend them until the end of the year so it wouldn't be a race to try to get Dixie on board in such a sport span. For those that missed it, TNA officially announced that Impact will remain on Spike throughout the end of the year on Wednesday nights.
We're told Spike realizes that if Impact was only off the air for a month or two, a large portion of the audience may not be back when the show returns, so with Spike being interested in buying the company, they preferred to give themselves a little more time to convince Dixie to sell.
TNA had nothing to lose by agreeing on a short term extension because it buys them more time to find a new domestic home in the event things are not worked out with Spike.
It's almost like a game of chicken. If TNA finds a new home, Spike could end up losing a franchise they helped build with nothing to show for it. On the other hand, Spike doesn't think there is any network that would pay what they've been paying, so ultimately it may just increase Spike's offer if TNA does find another suitor.
- Donald Wood and the Ring Rust Radio crew interviewed Ethan Carter III. He put over Impact Wrestling's move to Wednesday nights and talked about succeeding in TNA after being underutilized in WWE. You can listen to the interview at this link or embedded in the video below:
Speaking of Ring Rust Radio, we apparently made the conversation due to our run-in with Bob Ryder. Due to the fact I am out of the office (paternity leave) this week, I haven't listened, however, this was Tweeted to me:
From what the show Tweeted me back [to me], the conversation had to do with how Ryder's comments "ring true for many of the dirt sheets out there."
First, I want to state that I think Ring Rust Radio is a great show and they do awesome work. They always have good guests and have compelling and informative interviews. I'm a huge fan of what Donald Wood does and can say he's been nothing but professional in what small dealings we have had with him. I also think the work over at BleacherReport.com/wwe is top notch and their "Team Stream" App is fantastic.
Second, I do not take part in "beefs" nor do I take offense to a difference of opinions. My issue with Bob Ryder wasn't because I was offended by his email to me. My issue was his email was an oxymoron. I didn't like how Ryder absolved himself of blame in the situation and pointed it back specifically on me when he was the one that Tweeted false information. Information that is still online and has not been retracted.
It's not my intention to "beat my self-righteous chest" and tout that I was right and he was wrong. I just didn't appreciate my correct information being labeled incorrect in such a bizarre fashion. I also wasn't expecting an apology from Bob. While I don't personally know him, I know enough people that do to know that he does not think highly of me or WrestlingNewsWorld.com. And that's perfectly OK. Bob -- and whoever else -- is allowed to have that opinion.
My focus is not on outside opinions and criticism. My focus is on being a top resource for professional wrestling news and analysis. I learned a long time ago to focus on things I can control -- not the things I cannot. I cannot control anything that goes on outside of the website or our social media accounts. What I can promise is that everything we post -- whether on the site or on social media -- is done with the sole intention of giving you an inside look into the professional wrestling business.
I work each and every day to provide the readers of WrestlingNewsWorld.com with quality content they can rely on. That doesn't mean I do not make mistakes. I am only human and will do everything in my power to correct any error I have made. However, there is no hidden agenda here. It's my goal to provide readers of WrestlingNewsWorld.com with an inside look that's professional and accurate. I celebrated my 7th anniversary as a full time pro wrestling journalist in May. Throughout those 7 years, we've been able to do some awesome things. I say "we" because it's not me. It's our researchers and sources that work many hours each day, our dedicated writers, bloggers, moderators and most importantly, our loyal readers. It's all of these things that come together to form a community that brings a level of quality that I feel is top notch.
So regardless of anything said about me or this website, please know we are not part of feuds or drama, we simply exist for one reason. And that's to be Your Inside Line to Pro Wrestling.
- TNA Wrestling announced a new multi-year deal with Supersport to carry their programming in Africa. The official press release is attached below:
MULTI-YEAR DEAL WITH SUPERSPORT IN AFRICA GIVES TNA IMPACT WRESTLING FANS ACCESS TO PROGRAMMING THROUGH 2019 JOHANNESBURG (August 21, 2014): TNA IMPACT WRESTLING will continue to be broadcast throughout Sub-Saharan Africa until 2019, thanks to an agreement between TNA and the continent’s leading sports broadcaster SuperSport. The deal means that fans in Africa will continue to enjoy the most innovative experience in professional wrestling every week on SuperSport, featuring international stars such as TNA World Heavyweight Champion Bobby Lashley, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, James Storm and MVP. TNA IMPACT WRESTLING broadcasts every Monday at 18:00 on SuperSport, with TNA’s flagship PPV and ONE NIGHT ONLY events also airing each month. Fans in Africa should check local listings for further details and repeat times. SuperSport brings the stars of TNA into the homes of fans in Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros Islands, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of South Africa, Reunion, Rwanda, St Helena and Ascension, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Socotra, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zaire, Zimbabwe and adjacent islands. TNA President Dixie Carter said: “TNA’s international distribution continues to expand, reaching more fans than ever before.” “We have had a wonderful relationship with SuperSport since first airing on the channel in 2011 and we look forward to attracting more fans to our entertaining programming. This multi-year deal with SuperSport is one more example of TNA’s remarkable international growth as we continue executing our global brand and programming strategies.” Brandon Foot, Acting Chief Executive of SuperSport, added: “SuperSport is delighted with this agreement. TNA has proven to be a valuable staple on our platforms and we look forward to more good shows.” “The offering resonates with a large number of our viewers across the African continent, so this extension is a very encouraging development.”
- This week's episode of Impact Wrestling did an average viewing audience of 852,000 viewers on Spike TV. A drop off was likely expected as this was the first episode in the Wednesday timeslot. Further, the announcement was made with less than a week to promote the move so it certainly appears a good chunk of the company's normal audience didn't get the memo.
TV by the Numbers has data for all of Wednesday at this link.
- TNA Wrestling has removed ODB from the Roster page over on ImpactWrestling.com. This usually happens a worker has departed the company, however, we cannot confirm that as fact as of press time.
It's worth noting the Knockouts division is a political as ever right now, mainly because there are so few spots. We reported last week how Havok has been working without a contract. You can read that report at this link.
- Christy Hemme announced on FitPregnancy.com she is 5 1/2 months pregnant. You can read a Q&A she did about staying fit and healthy during pregnancy at this link. Congratulations to Christy and her husband!
She Tweeted the following:
Maybe I'm the only one but I feel the Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena match at SummerSlam was too much of a squash match. I understand they want to show Brock as dominant but the match was kind of boring and all Lesnar did was a bunch of German suplexes. Not very entertaining especially for the final match. What are your thoughts?
You are not alone but I disagree. Most of the criticism from Brock Lensar vs. John Cena at SummerSlam stems from critics feeling that Cena sold Brock Lesnar too much and it was too one-sided to be taken seriously. I believe this was the only way to book the match and actually how Lesnar should have been booked in WWE from day one (at Extreme Rules 2012). What will be interesting is how WWE moves forward. Does John Cena get a rematch or does Lesnar mow down someone else? As I stated in Richard Reacts to SummerSlam, he at least needs to defend at Night of Champions and Survivor Series this year. While Lesnar vs. Cena wasn't a 5-star wrestling match, it was memorable based on the booking and execution.
I thought SummerSlam was one of the best SummerSlams in a long time?
WWE SummerSlam was the best pay-per-view of the year and a very strong effort. From top to bottom, there was nothing to criticize. The show was entertaining from start to finish and did what WWE needed it to do. The show gave people that already subscribed to the WWE Network a reason to keep it and the people that do not have it a reason to get it. If you haven't seen SummerSlam, you need to watch it. It's well worth your time.
Is there a chance Brock and the WWE have agreed upon more dates contingent on him becoming champion and altered his contract?
If there has been any modification to the contract extension that Brock Lesnar signed with WWE in 2013, I am not aware of it. Lesnar's new deal was rumored to include a title reign and this appears to be that. I'm not sure anyone saw Brock ending the streak prior to winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, however, that's how it happened. I was reassured far in advance that WWE will handle Lesnar's defense of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship appropriately. As I stated above, he at least needs to defend at Night of Champions and Survivor Series.
I know you've mentioned that the mic work of the McMahon family being gold, but the move set from Stephanie at SummerSlam proved they have everything it takes to be superstars, no? That was one of the better Diva performances in recent memory and it's too bad it came from a McMahon because we know she won't wrestle again anytime soon.
If you missed Richard Reacts to SummerSlam, I backed off my McMahon family is gold on the mic in response to readers reminding me that Linda McMahon is dreadful. The best way to state it is the McMahon family is captivating. That's not to say everything they do is excellent but everything they do causes people to pay attention. Stephanie was in great shape for her match and clearly trained very hard. Her move set was impressive, especially for a non-wrestler. However, there are plenty of other females on WWE's roster that could do just as well -- if not better -- if given the same amount of screen time. Remember, Stephanie vs. Brie received better build than anything at SummerSlam, something Divas do not get regularly in WWE.
From the Ask WNW vault…
May 2013: What was the word on Evan Bourne after he worked a NXT house show, is there any idea on when he’ll be back on TV and does he still have any backstage heat from his suspensions shortly before his injury? - Evan Bourne wasn’t ready to return after testing his foot out at an NXT live event in March (video here). The last I heard he is closer to returning today but he’s not by any means in a “safe” position in WWE. In fact, he was one name specifically mentioned to us as someone that remains on the “endangered species” list due to his consecutive Wellness violations prior to suffering his career-threatening injury. It would be very disappointing to see Bourne get released after all his hard work and I’m rooting for his comeback, however, failing consecutive Wellness tests for the same thing (synthetic marijuana) is mind-boggling.
Do you feel WWE is trying force the push of Roman Reigns on us too soon? The match at SummerSlam with Randy Orton was lackluster, his experience is limited and there are apparently already rumblings of putting him in the main event at Wrestlemania 31. I like him but feel WWE is bound to drop the ball. What are your thoughts?
I think WWE is doing a good job with Roman Reigns and I disagree his match with Randy Orton at SummerSlam was lackluster. I thought the match was good and had the right outcome with Reigns going over. I think if Reigns would have won the title like some were hoping at WWE Money in the Bank in June or Battleground in July that it would have been too soon. His build has been tactfully handled and we're seeing the evolution of a possible top star. As for Wrestlemania 31 next year, Vince McMahon wants the show to be headlined by Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock, while Hunter prefers Roman Reigns vs. Lesnar. I believe the former is the safest bet but the latter would certainly provide an avenue to possibly produce "the next Rock." It will be an interesting situation to follow.
If/when Sting signs with WWE, I know the world is wanting to see him take on the Undertaker but he has been clear that if 'Taker can't go that Triple H is on his list as well. Do you see Sting being the answer to The Authority? How do you feel about Sting vs Bray Wyatt?
First of all, Sting has a working relationship with WWE. A deal will have to be reached for him to compete in the ring (Triple H even has a specific Performer's contract) but the two sides are definitely working together. Sting has confirmed a match against The Undertaker is what he wants but as you mentioned, there are others on that list as well. John Cena has even said he would like a match with Sting. Triple H vs. Sting with Sting serving as an answer to The Authority sounds promising. The difficulty in booking Sting is he only plans for one more match. Can he really lose his one and only WWE match? If he can't lose, it has to be someone that a loss won't hurt. Triple H and John Cena are both people that could "do the honors" and things wouldn't get complicated. Undertaker vs. Sting would be very difficult to book and the reason I've pushed back on Sting vs. Bray Wyatt is it would include many if not more issues with the outcome.
SummerSlam is a "big four" show. Does it hurt the sentiments of the people of US to have had Jack Swagger lose the flag match, which resulted in the Russian flag hoisting and national anthem. How could the creative team came up with such an ending to this bout, especially with the growing animosity between Russia and the Western world?
The point of the match was to put heat on Rusev. While Jack Swagger improved his stock with Vince McMahon in the program, the original plan was for Rusev to make short work of him. Swagger and Zeb Colter got over so well the decision was made to extend the program to SummerSlam, however, the ultimate goal was to keep the heat on Rusev. This is why he went over and the tensions between Russia and the rest of the world just help WWE in their cause to get Rusev over as a monster heel.
Will there be a second season of WWE Legends' House?
A second season of WWE Legends' House has been talked about but not confirmed. Remember, season one was filmed two years ago so we're somewhat displaced from the initial production of that show. However, from everything I've heard, WWE was happy with the show as a WWE Network original program.
I know John Cena is the face of WWE but wouldn't it be spectacular if he loses to Brock Lesnar again next month and the crowd, clearly in Brock's corner, turns Cena heel?
It's going to be interesting to see how WWE books the rematch between Brock Lesnar and John Cena. The way the SummerSlam match was booked, they could have probably moved on. In fact, the decision to do a rematch wasn't made until after Monday night. I believe they kind of have to with the "rematch clause" but they can't have anywhere near the same match they had at SummerSlam, however, Lesnar needs to retain. Outside interference would be a possibility but WWE will have to tread carefully if this is to be a blow-off. WWE is trying very hard to keep Lesnar the heel and Cena the babyface but Cena continues to draw more and more heat. WWE has monitored every feud Cena has been in all summer long in order to prevent a double turn. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a Cena heel turn, as there have been perfect scenarios in the past that WWE has refused to utilize.
Does it bother you the inconsistency with how Total Divas and WWE storylines are connected? When it's convenient, the stories are intertwined (for example the Daniel Bryan/Brie Bella connection). But Nikki Bella's relationship with John Cena is not mentioned on Raw, since Cena is a face and Nikki is now a heel. Isn't there a logic gap there?
I don't read too much into storyline inconsistencies between Total Divas and main WWE programming. Total Divas is a scripted program, meant to attract the female demographic. That doesn't mean that it doesn't draw a large number of WWE's core audience, however, the main goal is to expand their demographic. I am more concerned about the flow from Raw to Smackdown each week than I am about anything that happens on the other programs.
From the Ask WNW vault…
January 2012: Brodus Clay – you know, the man from Planet-funk, the Funk-a-sorus. What are your thoughts on his debut gimmick? - Believe it or not, this is the most popular question of the day. Some people loved it, some people hated it but everyone wants to know the skinny on Brodus Clay’s debut gimmick on Raw Supershow. It’s not the first time we’ve seen this type of gimmick – remember Flash Funk? I’ll admit when Justin Roberts announced him and he came out I thought it was all a huge rib. Originally thought to be a dominant force that was going to eliminate John Morrison from television, turns out to be the Funk-a-sorus from Planet Funk. They fed him Curt Hawkins so it looks like he’ll blow through enhancement workers but I have a hard time believing this gimmick can make it in the main event. It is certainly PG-friendly and gives developmental Divas Naomi and Cameron Lynn a chance to get on TV. While my initial reaction was surprise, it’s not fair to write the gimmick off as a failure or praise it as a success until it’s had a chance to progress.