Welcome to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium Newsletter. This is where you will find all of the big news and Ask WNW segments from the week neatly archived for your viewing pleasure.
This week's edition covers news from Saturday, June 16, 2012 to Friday, June 22, 2012 as well as all five Ask WNW segments from the week. Use this newsletter as your own personal tool to catch up on any of the news that you may have missed during the week. Below is a table of contents:
Note From Richard: For those that have asked, the Newsletter is organized with the news posted on Saturday at the top with the most recent stories at the bottom. We have it organized this way so you can read the news in the order in which it happened. Thanks for your support!
- WWE posted a worked article over on dot com that Brodus Clay suffered a "Grade II medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear in his left knee" after David Otunga's attack on him from this week's Smackdown. The website notes Clay will still work the No Way Out pre-show match but will do so in a brace and will undergo rehabilitation over "the next several weeks." Click here for dot com's fictional update.
- Wrestling News World reader Sam sent word that WWE is advertising WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan in a submission match for the title and John Cena vs. Big Show w/John Laurinaitis for their upcoming Australian tour this August/September.
- Wrestling News World reader Dave L sent word as of Friday WWE has canceled their wwe.swagbucks.com website, however, all points are still redeemable at SwagBucks.com
- Wrestling News World reader Fernando sent this in… NorthJersey.com features an interview with WWE Diva and fellow New Jersey native AJ Lee. She talks about hard times growing up in her hometown of Union City and her hopes to be in Wrestlemania XXIX and leave her mark. Click here to read it.
- There are preliminary plans for the revamped WWE NXT to take over Florida Championship Wrestling's slot on The Brighthouse Network in Florida.
- Josh Stewart of News Day has a new article online featuring quotes from Curt Hawkins to promote tomorrow night's Raw Supershow in Long Island, New York. In the piece, Hawkins discusses heat from the Midcard Mafia Web series featuring him and Tyler Reks.
“It was within the same mold as Zack [Ryder],” Hawkins, who now lives in Queens, said of the project. “You can’t just duplicate it. That’s not going to work. We brainstormed a different idea. Tyler is very talented with computer animation. I kind of wrote and edited it. We just crossed the line a little bit too much. In a way it worked because we were at the bottom of the totem pole. Even if we brought in a negative light, we brought a light, to some degree.”
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- To update on the DirecTV issues I mentioned earlier, I was unable to order WWE No Way Out through their system (online or phone). I was told by a customer support representative their system was down and while engineers were working to resolve the issue, I could try to order again in an "hour or two." I ended up ordering the Webcast on WWE.com that is now airing. In case you are wondering, I didn't try and order from my receiver because I don't put pay-per-views on my cable bill.
- Titus O'Neil & Darren Young, the Prime Time Players, became the number one contenders for the WWE Tag Team Championship after winning a fatal 4-way match at Sunday's No Way Out pay-per-view. After the match, O'Neil and Young aligned with Abraham Washington.
- Triple H officially challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at SummerSlam at Sunday night's WWE No Way Out pay-per-view. SummerSlam 2012 will take place Sunday, August 19, 2012 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. We'll have exclusive live play-by-play coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- As the storyline goes, John Laurinaitis was "fired" from WWE at No Way Out per John Cena's victory over Big Show in their steel cage match. Following the finish, Mr. McMahon made the "termination" official.
- Lita, former WWF Women's Champion Madusa and rapper DMC from Run DMC were all at WWE No Way Out Sunday night in New Jersey.
- Former TNA talent Amazing Red worked out for WWE producers at the Izod Center on Sunday afternoon.
- John Cena's father, John Cena, Sr., head-butted Daniel Bryan at Saturday night's WWE Supershow live event in Lowell, Massachusetts.
- Ryback's opponents at No Way Out were independent workers Dan Echos and John Silver.
- Kelly Kelly was at Sunday's LA Dodgers game against the Chicago White Sox at Dodgers Stadium with her father and boyfriend Sheldon Souray (of the NHL's Dallas Stars). Kelly Tweeted a photo of her front-row seats that you can view at this link.
- Wade Barrett, who has a role in the new Colin Farrell film co-financed by WWE Studios, was spotted in Philadelphia this weekend. Barrett is in the city where filming for the project is taking place. For a new update, click here.
- Tensai was asked on Twitter if the "Albert" chants bothered him. Below is his response:
- I'm told the plan as of 6 PM EDT Sunday evening was for Daniel Bryan to win the triple-threat match at WWE No Way Out to become the WWE Champion. There were a few reasons CM Punk ended up retaining at the last minute but one of the main reasons had to do with the touring schedule for live events.
- While WWE producers were more than aware of the crowd chants for Dolph Ziggler in his World Heavyweight Championship match against Sheamus, I'm told no matter "how loud" the crowd support is, he will be pushed when he is ready. My source says the feeling in WWE is they won't have their hand forced although their hand is being forced due to the lack of top talent.
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper is at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York and is expected to be used on tonight's Raw Supershow.
- Randy Orton is being advertised by WWE for the July 30th Raw Supershow taping in Cincinnati and the July 31st Smackdown taping in Indianapolis. He is back on advertisements on dot com's live events section for several events this summer, including SummerSlam on August 19th from Los Angeles. Orton is currently out serving a 60-day suspension for what WWE is calling his second strike under their Wellness Program.
- Mick Foley will serve as the "interim General Manager" on this week's Smackdown as he did on this week's Raw Supershow in place of the "fired" John Laurinaitis. According to Foley's promo on Monday's Raw Supershow, past General Managers will be brought in until the board of directors "picks a suitable replacement" for Laurinaitis.
- WWE announced that Chris Jericho will return to the company on next week's Raw Supershow. While announcing Jericho's return, it was announced Fozzy's upcoming album "Sin and Bones" is due out August 14, 2012. Jericho was suspended from WWE for 30 days on May 25, 2012 for "denigrating the Brazilian flag" at a WWE live event in São Paulo on May 24th.
- THQ issued the following press release about Mike Tyson's inclusion in WWE '13:
Mike Tyson Returns to the Ring – In WWE® ’13
Renowned “Baddest Man on the Planet” to Make Flagship WWE Videogame Franchise Debut Through Exclusive Pre-Order Offer
AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 19, 2012-- The campaign premise of “Live the Revolution” continues, as THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced the return of the incomparable Mike Tyson to the ring – virtually – in WWE® ’13, the revolutionary next installment in the WWE flagship videogame franchise. Often touted as the “baddest man on the planet,” the boxing legend and former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world will be available as an exclusive playable character for consumers who pre-order the videogame at any participating retailer in the United States or Canada for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system or the Wii™ system from Nintendo (while supplies last).
Tyson made headlines with WWE (NYSE: WWE) in early 1998 as part of the company’s groundbreaking “Attitude Era," a time period prominently featured in WWE ’13 through a brand new single-player campaign. He is best remembered for his appearances leading up to and at WrestleMania® XIV, where he was recruited by D-Generation X (DX) to serve as a ringside enforcer during the main event match between DX member Shawn Michaels® and Stone Cold Steve Austin® for the WWE Championship. Tyson, sporting a sleeveless DX t-shirt and black jeans – the same look as his playable character in WWE ’13 – interfered in the match, allowing Austin to secure the victory and ultimately abandoning his presumed alliance with the renegade faction. Tyson returned to WWE on January 11, 2010 as a guest host on Monday Night Raw® and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 2, 2012.
“As one of the most dominant champions in boxing history and one of the most memorable guests to ever be featured on WWE programming, Mike Tyson led an incredible revolution that changed the way fans perceive the sport,” said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President, Global Brand Management, THQ. “He was a tremendous addition to the ‘Attitude Era’ and is certain to attract a wide variety of fans to ‘live the revolution’ offered in WWE ’13.”
“The baddest man on the planet is back – and only in WWE ’13,” said Mike Tyson. “Fans everywhere can now relive what I experienced during the ‘Attitude Era.’”
About WWE ’13
Positioned to offer the most authentic, extensive and fervent experience to date, WWE ’13 will transform gameplay through WWE Live™, a brand-new audio and presentation system designed to produce the most authentic and vibrant commentary, sound effects and crowd participation levels ever heard in a WWE videogame. In addition, players will experience the atmosphere, spectacle and fervor of a WWE live event through attention-grabbing Spectacular Moments, including ring breaks and barricade crashes.
WWE ’13 will also debut a franchise-first single player campaign based on an unparalleled and groundbreaking period in WWE history: the “Attitude Era.” Set during a time of pure raucousness, grandiose personalities and colossal revolution, players will focus on eight purveyors of attitude during the famed television “Monday Night Wars,” including WWE Hall of Famer Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Predator Technology™ 2.0, driven by new animations, transitions and modified controls, will return to deliver intelligent, fluid and engaging WWE action, resulting in a smoother gameplay experience than its predecessors. As well, the popular career-style mode, WWE Universe, will dynamically introduce matches, alliances, rivalries and unpredictable moments based on player decisions along the path toward becoming a WWE champion.
WWE ’13 will feature the franchise’s industry-defining Creation Suite, enabling players to develop and customize Superstars, entrances, arenas, finishing moves, storylines, highlight reels and more, as well as share and download creations with others from around the world. Furthermore, they will compete with a vast array of WWE Superstars and “Attitude Era” luminaries from the largest roster in franchise history, including cover Superstar CM Punk®, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Sheamus®, Undertaker®, Mankind™, Chris Jericho®, Big Show® and Mark Henry®. Along with to-be-announced features, a comprehensive roster reveal, downloadable content and big surprises, WWE ’13 is poised to live a revolution all its own.
WWE ’13 is currently scheduled for release on October 30, 2012 in North America. For more information, please visit wwe.thq.com, facebook.com/WWEgames and twitter.com/WWEgames.
- It looks like there are at least preliminary plans for Randy Orton to return to the main event after returning from his latest 60-day suspension from WWE. Orton is advertised in a triple-threat match against Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship on Smackdown live events in August. While plans such as this are done far in advance to advertise shows, it's still interesting to see Orton in main event plans given recent backstage heat over his suspension.
- Former WWE star Carlito Colon has some interesting Tweets regarding the company's use of Heath Slater on this week's Raw Supershow:
- I mentioned in today's installment of Ask WNW that Alberto Del Rio working on Raw Supershow wasn't met without criticism; I'm told one person that was very upset about Del Rio working the day of being cleared from a concussion was Mick Foley. Foley told people backstage the company should have waited a week or two after Del Rio was cleared to make sure the symptoms didn't return. Foley was vocal about the fact it was unnecessary for Del Rio to work against Santino Marella so soon after being cleared.
- While the new tag team of Darren Young & Titus O'Neil as the Prime Time Players are set for a push, their in-ring work has already soured some officials. I'm told they will still likely get a push due to the lack of tag teams but unless there is improvement, it could be very short lived.
- There was talk of turning Dolph Ziggler babyface but the decision was made to keep him heel. This is the reason for keeping him with Vickie Guerrero and having them kiss after his victory against Jack Swagger. WWE was trying to nix the babyface support Ziggler got at No Way Out by "rekindling" his "relationship" with Vickie.
- All mentions of WWE NXT have been removed from dot com. Based on the fact the revamped show is expected to take over Florida Championship Wrestling's timeslot on the Bright House Network, it doesn't look like there will be a way for fans to watch outside of the Florida market.
- Kevin Nash wrote the following on Twitter:
- Kelly Kelly, who has been off the road with WWE, is officially advertised for next week's Raw Supershow in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- For those wondering why Eve Torres has been missing from WWE programming, she has been away taking part in a new NBC series that honors the United States military. Below is the official press release that was issued today:
NBC ANNOUNCES CELEBRITY CAST AND HOSTS OF NEW SERIES ‘Stars Earn Stripes,’ AN EMOTIONALLY CHARGED NEW COMPETITION HONORING AMERICA’S ARMED FORCES
Hosts General Wesley Clark (ret.) and Samantha Harris Join Celebrity Cast Including Laila Ali, Dean Cain, Terry Crews, Nick Lachey, Todd Palin, Dolvett Quince, Picabo Street and Eve Torres in the Action-Packed Competition Show
“Stars Earn Stripes” Premieres Monday, August 13 (8 – 10 p.m. ET)
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – June 19, 2012 – NBC announced the celebrity cast and hosts of its new alternative series “Stars Earn Stripes” – a fierce and emotionally charged new competition show honoring America’s armed forces. The cast includes four-time undefeated world boxing champion Laila Ali, actor Dean Cain (“Out of Time,” Five Days of War”), actor and former National Football League player Terry Crews (“The Expendables 2,” “The Newsroom”), multi-platinum recording artist, actor, producer and television personality Nick Lachey (NBC’s “The Sing-Off”), Alaska businessman Todd Palin, Olympic gold medalist Picabo Street, “The Biggest Loser” trainer Dolvett Quince and WWE Diva, Eve Torres.
The series will be hosted by General Wesley Clark (ret.) – the former Supreme Allied Commander Europe for NATO and former presidential candidate – and television personality Samantha Harris (“Entertainment Tonight,” “Dancing with the Stars”). “Stars Earn Stripes” will debut with a special two-hour episode on Monday, August 13 (8-10 p.m. ET) and will air Mondays at 9 p.m. ET.
The eight competitors will gather at a remote training facility where they will tackle complicated and difficult missions that are inspired by real military exercises. Each will be paired with an “operative” who is a member or a former member of our armed forces or law enforcement agencies. The operative will coach and guide their celebrity teammate on their training and each of their missions and will compete along-side them. From helicopter drops to long range weapons fire – the competitors will be tested physically and emotionally as they play to win and to earn a cash prize for military, veterans and first-responder based charities. Each week one of the teams will be eliminated.
The announcement was made by Paul Telegdy, President, Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC.
“We are honored to have a much-decorated and beloved military figure such as General Clark joining ‘Stars Earn Stripes.’ The general’s legendary record in the U.S. armed forces commands respect as he brings so much practical knowledge that will infuse the show with priceless insight,” said Telegdy. “Our cast is ready to be put to the test – using the same physical and mental challenges that prepare our nation’s bravest men and women to defend our nation – and their arduous journey will make for riveting television.”
“I am thrilled to join ‘Stars Earn Stripes’ as host and look forward to watching the celebrity cast members test themselves as they step up to take on these tough challenges,” said Clark. “This new series pays tribute to members of our dedicated armed forces and civil law enforcement and I know that the winnings, which will be donated to first-responder charity and veterans’ groups, will make a difference and send an important message.”
The charitable organizations that the contestants are playing for include The Following: Laila Ali – Military Child Education Coalition (http://www.militarychild.org), Dean Cain – Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org), Terry Crews – The Pat Tillman Foundation (http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org), Nick Lachey – The Badge of Honor Memorial Foundation (www.bohmf.org), Todd Palin – Armed Services YMCA Alaska (http://www.asymcaofalaska.com), Dolvett Quince – Got your 6 (www.gotyour6.org), Picabo Street – Hiring Our Heroes (www.uschamber.com/hiringourheroes) and Eve Torres – USO (www.uso.org).
From executive producers Dick Wolf (“Law & Order,” “Law & Order: SVU”), Mark Burnett (“The Voice,” “Survivor”) and David A. Hurwitz (“Fear Factor”), this extraordinary show will donate money raised through the competition to veterans’ charities. Committed to hiring recent vets onto the crew, “Stars Earn Stripes” hopes to inspire other employers throughout the country to make similar commitments to our returning heroes, not to mention proving how impossible their service missions really are.
The series is a production of Universal Television, One Three Television, LLC, Wolf Reality, LLC and Bill’s Market & Television Productions.
- For those looking for a WWE suspensions update, look no further. The following suspensions are up on the dates listed below:
- Chris Jericho's suspension ends on 6/22, he's advertised for Raw next Monday
- Rey Mysterio's suspension ends on 6/25, his return hasn't yet been announced
- Randy Orton's suspension ends on 7/30, he's advertised for Raw that night
- John Laurinaitis is officially advertised for next Monday's Raw Supershow and is on WWE events going forward. If you gave No Way Out an A grade because you thought it was the end of the Laurinaitis character, you were mistaken.
- Brock Lesnar is officially advertised for the go-home to SummerSlam edition of Raw Supershow in Dallas, Texas.
- It was announced during this week's Smackdown taping that Vickie Guerrero will be the Interim General Manager of Raw Supershow and Smackdown.
- The John Cena divorce is starting to get ugly as his soon to be ex-wife Liz Cena and her attorney Raymond Rafool are telling media outlets they know John cheated and are now out to prove it.
"We're definitely following up on every lead relative to his being unfaithful before AND after the separation," Rafool told TMZ.
Click here for coverage by TMZ.
- Ted DiBiase will be at tonight's Florida Championship Wrestling show at the Orlando, Armory for a meet and greet beginning at 6:30 PM EDT. Click here for more information.
- John Cena was on "Good Morning America" Wednesday morning on ABC to celebrate his 300th wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. In the appearance, Cena invited a seven-year-old boy to the 1000th Raw in St. Louis.
- Alberto Del Rio met with Vince McMahon on Monday afternoon at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. While no one knows the specifics of what was described to me as a "closed door meeting," Alberto was upset he was pulled from No Way Out but scheduled to work Raw and Smackdown this week. Del Rio was so heated he reportedly threatened to quit, stating he didn't feel he was being taken care of and his push was not to his liking. I'm told Vince McMahon "caved" although that's where the story stops. One observer speculated perhaps McMahon agreed to cater to Del Rio in hopes he chooses to stay around at a time when the company is desperately in need of star power. Regardless of the situation, Del Rio isn't expected to be around in the long-term and could wind up on the "endangered species list" once the company gains more leverage with returning top talent.
- WWE is sending David Otunga, Natalya, Lilian Garcia and Zack Ryder to "Anti-Bullying" night on Wednesday, June 27th at the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball game. Click here for more information.
- Scott Steiner's profile has been added to the Alumni section of the official WWE website and the inclusion is being promoted on the main page. The timing is interesting as TNAfiled a verified complaint on Monday against Steiner, asking a judge for an injunction to stop "disparaging remarks" from being made on Twitter.
- WWE No Way Out was not sold out and was believed to have done in the ballpark of 10,000 attendees.
- Kofi Kingston is scheduled to appear on "Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files" next Tuesday on SyFy.
- Pantagraph.com has a new article featuring quotes from WWE Intercontinental Champion Christian. Below is an excerpt:
Edge's career ending injury:
“Yeah, I was the first person he called after he got the news (about the injury). It was one of those things where I had to listen and be there for him,” Christian recalls. “I could tell he was upset about it once it sunk in. I told him that if was writing the end to his story, this was the perfect way to finish it off, just winning the WrestleMania (XXVII) world championship, the biggest show of the year. You can’t write a better ending than that.”
How long he plans to work:
“Having a long career with real lasting power has always been a goal,” he says. “So as long as I’m physically able to do what I do, I’ll keep doing it.”
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- Grantland.com has a new article online looking at AJ Lee's involvement in the CM Punk/Daniel Bryan/Kane program. The article calls her "WWE's New Miss Elizabeth." Click here to read it. (Thanks to Wrestling News World reader Fernando for sending this in.)
- The revamped season six of WWE NXT is airing across international markets including Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and Australia.
- John Laurinaitis is touring with the Raw brand this weekend. The storyline is advertised as follows:
PER THE WWE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, JOHN LAURINAITIS MUST FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS & TEAM WITH “THE WORLD’S LARGEST ATHLETE” BIG SHOW TO TAKE ON JOHN CENA IN THE BIGGEST HANDICAP MATCH IN WWE HISTORY!!
Big Johnny will team with Big Show to face John Cena in a 2-on-1 handicap matches at both Raw live events in my home state of West Virginia.
- Daniel Bryan is nominated in peta2's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity Contest. For information on how you can vote for him, click here.
- You can view the cover art for the WWE No Way Out 2012 DVD at this link.
- Boogeyman has been added to the Alumni section of the official WWE website. You can view his profile at this link.
- Some people have been confused why TNA would want Crimson referencing Goldberg given the very small chance Goldberg would actually come to the company to work. However, I'm told TNA is actually in talks with Goldberg yet again. As for the seriousness of the negotiations, it's believed Bill is the "most serious" he's been at any time TNA has contacted him previously and he realizes if he is ever going to do it, his window is starting to close. The two sides are still "very far apart on money" but the gap is believed to be smaller than it has been in the past as Bill's asking price has come down. If a deal did get done, Goldberg's contract would be for a very limited number of dates. One source believes it would be two dozen appearances max, maybe a little less. I'm told if a deal were to get done, TNA would be looking for him to come in around October and it would be for a year. While things look better than they have in the past, my source said they would be "very surprised" if a deal actually got done although it's worth noting talks are taking place.
- TNA Wrestling terminated the contract of Ric Flair on May 11, 2012 according to court documents filed as part of the company's ongoing litigation against WWE. As we've reported many times here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com, Flair is trying to return to WWE.
- The City Paper out of Nashville, Tennessee is reporting that TNA Wrestling filed a verified complaint on Monday in Chancery Court against Scott Steiner. The complaint asks a judge for an injunction to stop Steiner's "disparaging remarks" on Twitter. TNA claims Steiner's comments, made on Twitter.com/ScottSteiner, violate a contract he signed in December 2010 where he is forbidden from making public statements, including Tweets, without prior approval. The report confirms TNA sent a letter to Steiner on May 15th, demanding he stop the remarks. Not only has Steiner not stopped but he's called Hulk Hogan's daughter, Brooke, a "whore" since the letter. The paper reports TNA paid Steiner $2500 per pay-per-view appearance during his time with the company.
- Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe and Magnus are booked for Pro Wrestling NOAH's show from Sumo Hall in Tokyo, Japan on July 22nd. Joe and Magnus are scheduled to tag together against Akitoshi Saito & Jun Akiyama for the Pro Wrestling NOAH Global Honored Crown Tag Team Titles. Daniels will challenge for the NOAH Global Honored Crown Junior Heavyweight Title against Yoshinobu Kanemaru.
- Wrestling News World Orlando correspondent Scott Brooks sent word that former WWE star Luke Gallows worked a dark match as Isaiah Cash against Kazarian at tonight's Impact Wrestling taping.
- TNA Destination X will be headlined by TNA Champion Bobby Roode defending against Austin Aries. Per the stipulation set on this week's Impact Wrestling, any X Division Champion holding the belt going into Destination X can relinquish the title in favor of a TNA Championship shot.
- Next week's Impact Wrestling will be headlined by TNA Tag Team Champions Kurt Angle & AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian.
- "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero is featured as one of Bane's henchmen in the upcoming movie The Dark Knight Rises.
We are now six pay-per-views into the year, and none of them have had a championship match to close out the show. Aside from the Royal Rumble, all main events for the night have included John Cena facing his feud of the month. I understand that Cena is the #1 man in the WWE, but why do they keep pushing him as the closer despite not being in any title scenarios since last October?
Sean Hopkins and I texted briefly about this very issue after No Way Out and our opinion is something is wrong when you're halfway through the year and none of the WWE pay-per-view main events have featured one of their titles. The only excuse I can give you is booking that misses the mark and the fact that Vince McMahon sees Cena and his drawability bigger than either world title. The company is lacking in star power right now and the idea to fix things is to make John Cena the focal point of programming.
Why does Vince McMahon hate Jim Ross so much and ridicule him?
I am assuming you are talking about Vince McMahon's impersonation of Jim Ross in the segment with Hornswoggle on Raw Supershow. Vince does not hate Jim Ross, Vince likes to bully him. It's like Vince gets some type of sick pleasure by picking on JR. One thing to keep in mind is WWE is ran under the high school jock mentality with some people getting bullied for the sake of a cheap laugh. It's very disrespectful, especially to a legend such as Jim Ross who is the best play-by-play man in the history of the wrestling business.
Do you think having a world title defended on free TV brings down the prestige?
WWE and TNA are better suited to feature world title matches on pay-per-view rather than free TV, however, the prestige isn't hurt as long as they are defended. What I detest are non-title matches with champions going under as that hurts the prestige of the belts. I'm also a fan of longer world title reigns as I feel it helps build the legitimacy of the championship.
I hate to be "that guy", and don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Ryback character, but I am not officially bored with the double-local talent squash matches. When are we going to move on?
I guess when they "feed him three." WWE wants to build Ryback up as a dominant force and haven't even established him as a heel or babyface yet, however, not only are the double squashes getting repetitive but the squashes in general are becoming overdone. Vince McMahon loves Ryback's look and wants to recreate Goldberg but the more indy workers he squashes, the less I seem to care.
Why was Alberto Del Rio not able to perform at No Way Out but was able to perform the next night on Raw? Why could he not do both?
Alberto Del Rio was cleared to work Monday afternoon; however, the decision to book him in a match on this week's Raw Supershow wasn't met without criticism. I'm currently working on a story that will be online shortly on one WWE name that was very vocal that there was no reason for Del Rio to be working last night.
With WWE bringing back past GMs, what are the odds that the Anonymous Raw General Manager returns for a week?
When I first read this question my first reaction was, oh no I hope not. Then I thought, well it would save WWE the money of having to pay per shot to a past name. I don't know if there are plans to bring back that stupid computer but let's hope that doesn't happen. I'll go as far as saying the Anonymous Raw General manager was one of the worst gimmicks in WWE history that completely defied logic.
I'm a huge fan of CM Punk and have been since his first promo on ECW. But don't you think its time for a new champion?
I am a fan of lengthy WWE Championship reigns because it builds prestige to the title. CM Punk needed this lengthy run to help establish himself as one of the company's top guys. While I will commend WWE for finally showing confidence in Punk, they aren't confident to put him (or either title for that matter) in a pay-per-view main event, which I feel is the wrong move.
Is WWE risking burnout with John Cena with him continuing to work in the midst of lingering injuries and significant personal issues?
WWE has a history of riding top stars too hard, leading to severe burnout. There is concern they are riding John Cena too hard at a time where he is hurting both physically and personally. One person close to John told me he's dealing with the drama in his personal life by working as much as possible but others are afraid it's all going to catch up with him.
I heard the suspended Twitter profile "Cranky Vince" is ran by WWE employees. Is that true?
I know who originated the rumors that "Cranky Vince" is ran by WWE employees but I'm told that isn't the case. As I reported here on Richard's Backstage Blog, the account is ran by a former WWE wrestler who remains close with the company. There are a lot of people guessing who it is so I'm not surprised to see contradicting reports but of course I believe my sources over anyone else. Cranky Vince is alive and well as you can read more about that at this link.
What is going on with The Miz?
The Miz is currently away from WWE filming "The Marine 3: Homefront." I would expect another huge push for him when the film is released. You can keep up with The Miz on his official Twitter account.
Why did WWE decide on keeping Vickie Guerrero with Dolph Ziggler? Haven't they paid attention to the babyface chants?
I posted a detailed article on WWE rekindling Dolph Ziggler's "relationship" with Vickie Guerrero here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium. The WWE office still wants Ziggler as a heel and felt they could keep heat on him by having him aligned with her. For more, check out the aforementioned link.
Now that he's gone from TNA, do you see WWE being interested in bringing Don West in for commentary?
No, Don West took a job in marking with the Wenatchee Wild, a minor league hockey team. I do not see WWE interested in bringing him in for a position he didn't even hold for the past several years in TNA Wrestling. You can read more about West's new job at this link.
What type of control to main event workers such as John Cena and CM Punk have in WWE over the direction of their characters?
Main event workers such as John Cena and CM Punk have considerable influence in the direction of their characters; however, Vince McMahon has the final say in what happens. Workers in the top of the card have much more power and influence than someone in the bottom of the card. For example, someone like Heath Slater is told what to do and when to do it. If he would refuse something, it'd be detrimental to his spot in the company. Cena or Punk are much more open to meet with Vince over things and he would be much more likely to hear them out.
Will Shawn Michaels wrestle when he reunites with Triple H as D-Generation X at the 1000th Raw next month?
Shawn Michaels has maintained he's finished in the ring but will appear when asked. He's still drawing a hefty six-figure salary from WWE where they are able to use him when needed. Obviously due to the fact that he's finished wrestling, his exposure is limited.
Do you think Santino Marella could ever have a serious main event gimmick?
Santino Marella is a great babyface that can be used for comedic relief but I don't see him going much further than that. He's taken advantage of opportunities when given but I'm not sure anyone would buy him as a main eventer. Remember when Santino stepped into the Elimination Chamber match earlier this year and proved he could get over with the best babyfaces in the company? WWE realized that and I feel he was rewarded with his current WWE United States Championship reign.
What do you make of the whole AJ Lee angle and her involvement in the main event scene?
I am intrigued with AJ Lee on WWE television and like the way she's been used in the main event scene with Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Kane. How long it will last is anyone's guess but she's done a great job so far.
What do you see changing with Raw Supershow going three hours each week? Do you see a return to the two hour format?
One of the things WWE wants to do with the extra hour is to incorporate more social media aspects into the show by letting fans effect something every week. Stephanie McMahon said last month that fans would have a chance to determine things such as matches and stipulations but left the possibilities open by saying "anything and everything" with different things each week. As for WWE going back to two hours, I could see this happening if the three-hour format doesn't draw and tanks in the ratings.
What's the latest on John Laurinaitis and his position within WWE?
John Laurinaitis is no longer the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations in real life as Triple H has assumed that role. I'm not sure if Big Johnny is still in some type of managerial role or if he is strictly just an on-air character. I have heard for months the ultimate plan was for him to be an on-air character only. Click here for more.
Is Kevin Nash still under WWE contract and if so where has he been?
Kevin Nash is under a WWE Legend's Contract with WWE, basically giving them the right to use his name to distribute merchandise. He's there if they need him but there hasn't been any interest in using him. Based on Nash's Tweet from earlier in the week it seems like he's getting bored sitting on the sidelines so it will be interesting to see if he pushes to get back on TV or perhaps negotiates his release to go back to TNA. Nash's in-ring career in WWE was believed to have ended after his program with Triple H last year.
Will the revamped season six of WWE NXT be available in the United States?
I heard the preliminary plan was for the revamped WWE NXT to take over Florida Championship Wrestling's timeslot on The Bright House Network in Florida. The show has already began airing in international markets but it's interesting to note Vince McMahon has claimed for months there are new TV deals in place for both NXT and WWE Superstars in the United States. Other than that, no other details are available as of this writing.