Welcome to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium Newsletter. This is where you will find all of the big news and Ask WNW segments from the week neatly archived for your viewing pleasure.
This week's edition covers news from Saturday, May 5, 2012 to Friday, May 11, 2012 as well as all five Ask WNW segments from the week. Use this newsletter as your own personal tool to catch up on any of the news that you may have missed during the week. Below is a table of contents:
Note From Richard: For those that have asked, the Newsletter is organized with the news posted on Saturday at the top with the most recent stories at the bottom. We have it organized this way so you can read the news in the order in which it happened. Thanks for your support!
- Goldust's profile has been moved to the Alumni section on the official WWE website. While WWE still has not publicly acknowledged his release, we broke the news here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium on Tuesday night.
- Triple H accompanied Floyd Mayweather to the ring for his fight against Miguel Cotto last night in Las Vegas. Click here for full coverage of the fight.
- R-Truth introduces his new theme song remix in this video with Kofi Kingston over on dot com.
- There were audio issues at last night's Smackdown live event in Asheville, North Carolina. The sound was inaudible during a Kane promo that aired on the screen as well as the entrance of The Uso's.
- Speaking of last night's Smackdown live event, Christian returned in a match where he went over Yoshi Tatsu. He was advertised locally in the show's main event in a triple threat against Sheamus and Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight Championship but was replaced by Alberto Del Rio.
- Bo Rotundo and Husky Harris are on the road with WWE this weekend, with Rotundo working Smackdown shows and Harris working Raw shows. Harris debuted as Bray Wyatt where he wore a tropical print shirt and straw hat over black sweats.
- WWE has a feature article over on dot com highlighting Triple H's appearance with Floyd Mayweather last night. Pictured on the official website is Hunter with 50 Cent, Justin Bieber and Stephanie McMahon. Hunter sold his "broken arm" from Brock Lesnar by wearing a brace and sling. You can read the article with the photo at this link.
- Wrestling News World reader CJ Blaze sent word that Lord Tensai's companion, Sakamoto, has been added to the official roster over on WWE.com.
- Melina Tweeted the following during Floyd Mayweather's fight on Saturday night:
- Kofi Kingston was off weekend WWE live events because he was filming an appearance in SyFy's "Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files." His tag team partner, R-Truth, teamed with Santino Marella.
- WWE has announced a Supershow from the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, New Mexico on July 8, 2012.
- WWE will tape the Raw portion of this week's WWE Superstars and tonight's Raw Supershow tonight from the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina. The advertised dark match main event is CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho for the WWE Championship. If you are attending and would be interested in sending us text-message updates for material taped for WWE Superstars and dark match results, send us your name and mobile number by using this form.
- Many readers don't like it when workers get political but WWE Champion CM Punk had some interesting comments on Twitter regarding Amendment 1:
- Although it's a week later, I've learned even more bizarre details regarding the aftermath of John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar at WWE Extreme Rules. I can confirm the run sheet called for Cena to be stretchered out of the arena but Vince McMahon instructed him to do a "shoot" promo after the match. Lesnar is believed to not only have been told about the promo by McMahon but it's also believed he was told to throw a "temper tantrum" backstage. As I noted in my initial report here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium, Lesnar wouldn't have been watching the monitor backstage had he not known the post-match promo was coming thus there wouldn't have been anything to "set him off." Privately, some of the producers were complaining about the message this sent to the boys as well as the distrust it causes in the office when you start putting together "secret" plans that not only differ from the script, but are intended to work both the wrestlers as well as those running the company. The story floating around about the stretcher job being a way to pacify Lesnar and convince him he'd be kept strong and Lesnar feeling like he was double crossed was a story Vince wanted to get out there. The truth is, Lesnar just wants his money. I'm told by sources close to the situation that he has made it more than clear, as long as he gets his money, he'll cooperate with whatever they want him to do. Nonetheless just because Lesnar wasn't legitimately upset about the booking, doesn't mean everyone was OK with it. I'm told many of Lesnar's possible future opponents were upset enough to make their thoughts known and complain to company officials. The Undertaker, The Rock and even Steve Austin are guys who have been angling to work with Lesnar at Wrestlemania XXIX next year in hopes of it being one of the biggest matches in company history. Since Extreme Rules, I'm told all three have let company officials know what a mistake they felt it was about Lesnar losing so soon. The Rock, who was considered the most likely to face Lesnar at Wrestlemania, was the most vocal of the three. However, I'm told the latest plan for Wrestlemania XXIX next year is to do The Rock vs. John Cena II, not Rock vs. Brock. It was initially thought McMahon was going to announce next year's Wrestlemania main event as soon as possible, however, he didn't want to fully commit to Rock vs. Brock or Rock vs. Cena so early and decided to delay the announcement. I'm told one of the things that ended up tilting Vince in favor of a rematch next year is the success of this year's show. Howevever, Wrestlemania plans for next year have already changed several times and are assured to do the same several times before the show. But ultimately, with having to decide who would win between Cena and Lesnar, Vince decided to protect Cena since Cena against The Rock again next year is the match he's leaning towards.
- WWE is looking to name WWE Tag Team Champions R-Truth & Kofi Kingston. Possible names include:
- Air Truth
- Truth in Paradise
- Air Jimmy
You can vote at this link.
- Deadline.com is reporting that Steve Austin has signed a deal to host the new reality TV series on CMT called "Redneck Island." The 10-episode competition drops 12 blue-collared contestants into a tropical paradise where they compete for $100,000. The show debuts next month on CMT.
- Layla will defend the WWE Divas Championship against Beth Phoenix in two weeks at WWE Over the Limit.
- The World Heavyweight Championship match at WWE Over the Limit has been changed to a Fatal 4-Way. Sheamus will now defend the title against Alberto Del Rio, Chris Jericho and Randy Orton. WWE Over the Limit will take place Sunday, May 20, 2012 from the PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina. We'll have exclusive live play-by-play coverage here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Paul Heyman returned to WWE on tonight's edition of Raw Supershow as Brock Lesnar's "legal representative."
WWE Champion CM Punk spoiled the return of Heyman with the following Tweet posted at 10:32 PM EDT:
- WWE Champion CM Punk has set off a firestorm with a Tweet he sent to a fan. In response to Punk's views on Amendment 1, a fan replied with a homophobic Tweet. Punk mentioned the fan's Tweet and responded by saying, "kill yourself."
Another fan scolded Punk for his comments and mentioned WWE's "Be-A-Star" anti-bullying campaign. Punk responded to them by writing, "hey moron, don't try to hide behind the be a star campaign. I am a star. I'm fighting bigots here. Zero tolerance." In response to another fan that disagreed with Punk, he told them to "drink bleach."
Mirror out of the United Kingdom picked up on the story and included footage of Punk hurling a homophobic slur at fans in Australia last summer. Below is the footage from a WWE live event on July 4, 2011 in Adelaide, Australia:
At the time, the comments caused considerable controversy and Punk issued the following apology:
I'm glad TMZ posted that video because everybody needs to be held accountable for their bulls---, me included. What I said was bulls---... I'm embarrassed. I own up to being a total douche in this situation and I offer a sincere apology to anybody I hurt with careless words.
- The plan coming out of last week's TVs was for Paul Heyman to be brought in as Brock Lesnar's mouthpiece around SummerSlam. I'm not sure what changed as Vince McMahon, who never saw eye-to-eye with Heyman, was reportedly insistent that Heyman would not be part of any deal between WWE and Lesnar. I was told by a source close to the situation the two had cut ties after Heyman had pressured Lesnar to stay with UFC with some feeling that Lesnar returning to WWE would either extremely minimize Heyman's involvement in Lesnar's career or completely eliminate it. However, one of my sources told me last week they felt Heyman already had some type of deal in place to appear on WWE TV and sure enough, he returned tonight. Obviously Heyman's comments that Lesnar "quit" were a work although one of the things Vince McMahon had hoped would circulate after reports of Lesnar "losing it" backstage at Extreme Rules was that he had quit the company. I have much more on that at this link. It's also worth noting that CM Punkspoiled Heyman's return after a day full of controversy.
- CM Punk took to Twitter to apologize for his controversial tweets following his denouncement of North Carolina's proposed Amendment 1, as well as directly apologizing to the fan he said "kill yourself" to. The tweets are compiled below:
- TMZ is reporting that Ricardo Rodriguez was stopped by police yesterday in Greensboro, North Carolina on his way to WWE Raw Supershow. According to the report, Rodriguez was doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone and given a $200 ticket because it was also a construction zone.
- John Cena appeared in front of the live crowd in Greensboro, North Carolina after last night's WWE Raw Supershow went off the air. Cena beat Kane in a dark match main event after hitting the Attitude Adjustment.
- WWE will be extending their Monday night tapings effective July 2, 2012. The company will begin tapings an hour and half before the show is set to go live on the USA Network at 9 PM/8 CT. Currently, the tapings begin a half hour to 45 minutes prior to going live. Obviously this is an indication that more material will be taped although specifics are currently unknown.
- Rey Mysterio's second WWE Wellness Policy violation has generated a lot of chatter among the wrestlers that drug test failures are mysteriously and coincidentally occurring more and more when the company is looking to punish a specific talent. In the case of Mysterio, the company knew of the failure well before Wrestlemania XXVIII (he was tested on February 13th) and continued to attempt to rush him back to work the show. Rey felt he wasn't ready to return in time, however, I'm told company officials made it clear that he was expected to "gut it out" and return in time for Wrestlemania. The feeling amongst some of the workers is that Mysterio got heat when he told the office he wouldn't be ready to return in time for the pay-per-view. Some conspiracists believe the test failure would have been swept under the rug had he been able to return in time. If true, the credibility of the whole program is suspect as the irony is the "Wellness" policy was used to punish someone who refused to put himself at risk by returning too soon. As for what caused the positive test, Mysterio is blaming a nasal spray he had been taking that he had a prescription for.
- WWE Champion CM Punk threw out the ceremonial first pitch at tonight's Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field and also appeared during the 7th inning stretch. Punk was accompanied with Lita, Colt Cabana and Cliff Compton (formerly known as Domino). WWE cameras were filming.
- WWE Night of Champions 2012 will take place on Sunday, September 16, 2012 from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Wrestling News World reader Shawn Anderson sent in the following… WWE Champion CM Punk threw out the first pitch at last night's Chicago Cubs game AND kept the seat warm for holographic Harry Caray in the process! Click here for coverage with photos.
- Wrestling News World reader Robert Rice sent word that Sgt. Slaughter is scheduled to be at the Daytona Cubs minor league baseball game on June 29, 2012. Click here for more information.
- WWE is promoting a video playlist of Rob Van Dam's work in ECW over on dot com. You can watch the views at this link.
- WWE announced a live event on Sunday, August 26, 2012 from the Mayo Civic Center in Rochester, Minnesota.
- WWE has launched a new viral marketing campaign airing before official videos on dot com. The campaign states "A Revolution Is Coming" and picked up steam early this week. It airs at random before some videos. For those that have asked, I haven't heard any details on the campaign and am just learning of its launch.
- ESPN.com has a feature article online on WWE Champion CM Punk singing "Take me out the Ball Game" at last night's Chicago Cubs game. Punk is quoted in the piece:
“To me, I don’t really get nervous as often wrestling anymore,” he said.
“Take me out to the ball game…”
“This is huge, uncharted waters so this is a little bit more nerve-racking,” Punk said, a grin creasing his face. "
Click here for coverage by ESPN.com.
- WWE has announced a live event from the El Paso County Coliseum in El Paso, Texas on July 7, 2012.
- WWE has an article over on dot com looking at CM Punk and Daniel Bryan climbing the ranks through the indies to make it to their main event match at WWE Over the Limit for the WWE Championship. Wrestling News World reader Fernando sent in the link as you can read the piece by clicking here.
- It wasn't all bad news for Rima Fakih today as she is advertised for FOX's new celebrity dating show called "The Choice." The series premieres on Thursday, June 8th on FOX. You can read the full press release at this link.
- While this probably won't surprise anyone, I'm told it's "doom and gloom" for Bloom. Matt Bloom, better known as Lord Tensai, has drawn concern from producers due to his stiff style. However, in what could prove to be a major blow to his push, I'm told members of upper management are growing weary of booking him against top workers.
- WWE management was upset about CM Punk's controversial Tweets earlier this week where he told a follower to "kill yourself" and another to "drink bleach" because it wasn't very "Be-A-Star" like. I asked if there was heat on him for Tweeting a photo of Paul Heyman before he came out and was told the feeling is it was done intentionally to get people talking and tuning in for the segment.
- I spoke with someone close to Rima Fakih today who told me Rima's claim in court today that she didn't have her first drink until she was 23-years-old was a "lie."
- There was talk of Paul Heyman returning on WWE television next week in Pittsburgh but apparently there was concern over him drawing too much of a babyface pop with the crowd so he was used this week in Greensboro.
- WWE executive Jason Hoch was at Ad Age's Social Engagement/Social TV conference yesterday and joined executives from ESPN and Major League Baseball where they discussed social media and live sporting events. Hoch commented that WWE tested social engagement at a Raw live event in Huntsville, Alabama last Friday, encouraging fans to share photos and vote on the main event stipulation. Click here for more.
- Mick Foley is advertised as the special ringside enforcer for WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho in a no disqualification match at Sunday's Raw live event in Rochester, New York.
- WWE has announced a live event from the Century Link Center in Omaha, Nebraska on July 22, 2012 at 6 PM.
- There is more to Edge being pulled from his scheduled appearance at Billy Corgan's Resistance Pro show on Friday. I'm told the appearance had never been finalized and he was upset when he found out the promotion was advertising him. He had talked about coming in to help raise money for charity but a day had never been agreed upon as the promotion had moved their date a few times. When Edge found out he was being advertised before he'd signed off on the date, he pulled out. The promotion covered by claiming the appearance was canceled due to Edge filming for SyFy's "Haven." Sources close to Edge tell me he's in a weird spot because he wasn't happy with WWE's money offer so he's trying to prove his value elsewhere. It's a difficult situation because not only can he not wrestle but he doesn't own the rights to the Edge name. I'm told he's still hoping to return to WWE but they're stuck in a game of "chicken" because he wants a deal like that of Shawn Michaels(in the ballpark of $300,000/year) to make appearances when needed and WWE isn't offering him anywhere close to that kind of money.
- WWE announced on their official website that WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston & R-Truth will defend their titles against Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger at this year's Over The Limit pay-per-view.
- TMZ is reporting that John Cena filed for divorce from his wife Liz Huberdeau. According to their report, Liz has hired the same lawyer that represented Linda Hogan in her divorce, Miami-based Raymond Rafool. Rafool told TMZ that John "blindsided" Liz with the divorce. The couple had a prenuptial agreement that was signed in 2009. You can read coverage by TMZ at this link.
- The Miami Herald mentioned today in an article covering John Cena's divorce that he is worth over $18 million. According to their piece, Cena's soon-to-be-ex-wife Liz Huberdeau is seeking for a result similar to what Linda Hogan got in her divorce which was allegedly 70% of Hulk Hogan's assets. Cena and Huberdeau have a prenup that is said to include the ability to take back all gifts and presents.
- TMZ has more online regarding John Cena's divorce. The publication features a video of Cena kissing his wife ringside at WWE Raw Supershow in Boston prior to Wrestlemania XXVIII. According to the report, Cena has been "a wreck" over his marriage for months and hasn't been shy about discussing his problems at home while hanging out backstage before WWE events. The arguing between the couple has been a problem since they got married in 2009 with a recent spat being over the remodeling of their Florida home. Cena has reportedly been "miserable" for the past few months. Click here for coverage by TMZ.
- Chris Jericho was involved in an altercation with North Carolina DJ Waleed Coyote at a strip club in Greensboro early Monday morning. Jericho, R-Truth and one of the company's referees were at "The Treasure Club" when Jericho noticed a fellow patron snapping a photo of him with their cell phone. Jericho confronted the patron, who turned out to be Waleed, took his phone, deleted the photo and threw the phone across the club. Immediately after the incident occurred, Coyote took to Twitter:
F--- these wrestlers chris Jericho wow
At this strip club and this weak a-- wrestler Chris Jericho tried to really try me lol u in wrong city steroid boy
I don't believe or advocate violence but this dude was outa line WWE let's GO
As of this writing Jericho hasn't publicly-acknowledged the incident but Waleed Coyote has tried to generate hype by discussing it with hip-hop websites.
- Justin Gabriel provided the following injury update on his elbow today on his official Twitter account:
- One of the shots The Rock took at John Cena on the March 12th edition of WWE Raw Supershow during the "Rock Concert" segment hit closer to home than anyone realized with the news of Cena filing for divorce. The following lyrics were "sung" by Rock during the segment:
"Rock saw Cena makin' out with Eve, Grabbin' on her thigh, tuggin' on her weave. Cena was havin' the time of his life, I guess he didn't tell her that he's got a wife. Let's rock. Everybody let's rock. Divorce lawyer's right up the block, but we're dancing because Cleveland Rocks."
- WWE is making a major change to the NXT tapings beginning next week. The company will be taping the show with Florida Championship Wrestling beginning next Thursday, May 17th at 7 PM from the campus of Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida. The taping schedule for the combo tapings are as follows:
- May 17, 2012
- June 14, 2012
- July 5, 2012
- July 19, 2012
- August 9, 2012
- August 23, 2012
- September 6, 2012
- September 20, 2012
This is all part of a plan to upgrade WWE NXT while making it easier to transition developmental talent to the show. Triple H is advertised for next week's tapings.
WWE held a show on the campus last December where pilots for a prospective WWE Network series were taped. An exclusivity deal was signed with Full Sail University, making them the only pro wrestling promotion that can use the venue for professional wrestling.
- For those wondering why David Otunga has been off the road with WWE, he has been with his financee Jennifer Hudson as she has been in court in Chicago, Illinois for the trail of William Balfour. Balfour, who was charged with the killing of Hudson's mother, brother and nephew in 2008, was found guilty today by the Chicago jury. You can view a court room sketch of Otunga with Hudson at this link. Click here for coverage by the Los Angeles Times.
- TNA Champion Bobby Roode is headed to Dublin, Ireland on Tuesday, May 22, 2012. Roode will be doing promotional work for TNA as well as signing autographs. Click here for more information.
- Wrestling News World reader Mike Buda sent in the following:
We recently had an interview with Mickie James and she talked about her upcoming match in Puerto Rico with Melina, her music career, TNA's Knockouts and WWE Divas, and if she would ever go back to WWE. Here are a few interesting things she had to say:
On TNA's Knockouts:
"We have a very strong division. The only difference is the style and the types of matches and the length of the matches that we have. It's a rarity when a woman can main event the show and I've been fortunate enough to do that. I'm very blessed to be looked at as equal as someone who can hold that level at the end of the show. It's an honor. We have Sarita, who's very well known in Mexico and a main star in the Knockouts roster. Everybody is a little bit different."
On possible return to WWE:
"In this business, it's not one of those things where you can never say never. Right now, I'm having a great time at TNA and I've been enjoying it. I can't say anytime soon."
- Below is the updated TNA pay-per-view lineup for the rest of the year:
- TNA Sacrifice on Sunday from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- TNA Slammiversary on Sunday, June 12, 2012 from the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas
- TNA Destination X on Sunday, July 18, 2012 from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- TNA Hardcore Justice on Sunday, August 12, 2012 from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- TNA No Surrender on Sunday, September 9, 2012 from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- TNA Bound For Glory on Sunday, October 14, 2012 from TBA
- TNA Turning Point on Sunday, November 11, 2012 from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- TNA Final Resolution on Sunday, December 9, 2012 from Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida
- Dixie Carter posted the following on Twitter:
- TNA, Bellator Fighting Championship and Spike TV are holding a press conference today to announce a "major talent deal." TNA President Dixie Carter Tweeted this morning she was flying to New York City for an exciting announcement. It's expected to be announced hat MMA fighter Muhammed Lawal (a/k/a King Mo) has signed on to work simultaneously for both TNA and Bellator. The idea is that Lawal will appear on Impact Wrestling to carry TNA's audience over to Bellator which will begin airing on Spike TV next year. Lawal is currently recovering from knee surgery.
- TNA President Dixie Carter posted the following on Twitter:
- Josh Stewart has a new article featuring quotes from Mickie James on Newsday.com. In it, James comments on her country music career.
“I do want it to be a real career,” James says. “... I want to cross over into that and take my fan base with me in the music side. It’s been a slow process, a lot of work, but it’s been good work. It’s just like when I broke into wrestling, still learning, still perfecting. Just like I’m still learning things in the ring.”
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- TNA issued the following press release about King Mo signing with the company:
Former Light Heavyweight Champ to Fight for Bellator in 2013 And Join the Stars of TNA Wrestling This Summer
In an unprecedented move – one of the biggest names in mixed martial arts, “King Mo” Lawal, has signed a deal to compete in Spike TV’s two major sports properties, Bellator Fighting Championships and TNA’s IMPACT Wrestling. King Mo will join the stars of TNA this summer and resume his mixed martial arts career next year when Bellator Fighting Championships moves to Spike TV from its current television home, MTV2. The deal was jointly announced today by Kevin Kay, President, Spike TV along with Bjorn Rebney, Chairman & CEO, Bellator Fighting Championships and Dixie Carter, President, TNA Entertainment.
“King Mo is an incredible athlete and a great addition to the Bellator family. He immediately adds prominence and star-power to our light heavyweight division,” said Rebney.
“King Mo is the perfect athlete for this type of alliance. He is the real deal in MMA, and his bold personality and world class wrestling accomplishments are unparalleled. I’m confident he will have a major impact in both sports,” stated Carter.
Lawal (10-1-1) launched his mixed martial arts career in 2008, and after four straight wins, he faced off against his toughest challenge, renowned fighter Mark Kerr. King Mo knocked out Kerr in the first round, and eight months later he defeated Gegard Mousasi in a Light Heavyweight world title fight. Lawal also holds an impressive KO victory against multiple-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Roger Gracie in September 2011.
“This deal is a dream come true for me,” Lawal said. “Bjorn and Dixie have given me the opportunity to engage in my two great loves, mixed martial arts and professional wrestling, at the same time. And, to have it all on Spike TV is really Buttercream icing on a big ole cake – not that whipped cream stuff either!”
King Mo rose to grappling acclaim as a NCAA Division I All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State University in 2003 and a three-time U.S. National Champion (2005, 2006, and 2008) in the 84 kilogram division. In 2007, as a member of the U.S. National team, he brought home a gold medal at the Pan American Games and a silver medal at the World Cup.
A native of Murfreesboro, Tenn., Lawal lives in San Jose, Calif. and trains with the prominent American Kickboxing Academy.
- Ric Flair no-showed last night's TNA live event from the Uno Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. I haven't heard why Flair didn't show up but he was officially advertised by TNA. This isn't uncommon as Flair isn't seen as reliable by TNA management or his co-workers. While it wasn't widely-reported, Flair no-showed the February 19th TNA live event in Glenville, West Virginia and there was concern from TNA staff members I spoke with that he might not show up the night prior in Beckley. When I requested an interview with Flair back in February, I was told directly from a TNA staff member "who knows" when he'll even show up.
- Diva-Dirt.com sent in the following:
Number one contender for the Knockouts Title, Brooke Tessmacher, joins us to discuss her big match with Gail Kim for the title this Sunday at TNA's Sacrifice pay per view.
Just days away from the biggest match of her career, Brooke talks about her recent push in TNA, what the title would mean to her and how she's been working hard to be taken seriously as a wrestler.
Listen to the interview here
On this being the biggest match of her career so far: “This is by far the biggest match of my career. I don’t want to take away from winning the tag belts with Tara, the glory that I felt when I won that, but this is me proving that I can stand alone, that I don’t need a crutch and actually showcasing all of what Tara has taught me in the ring. All it took was her believing in me and my fans that have been there the whole time. I can’t tell you how satisfied I am to finally go out there and prove myself.”
On how she plans to use Gail's wedding this week to her advantage: “I hope she’s still in the honeymoon stage from her wedding and still celebrating, or hasn’t worked off all that cake yet. I hope she’s distracted so I can come in there and whoop her ass!”
On what winning the Knockouts Title would mean to her: “It means to me that [I’ve finally] proven to the people that doubted me, or people that go, ‘Oh she’s just a model’ or ‘Oh she’s just gonna come and go’ - it’s gonna prove that I’m here to stay. It’s going to prove that I am a real threat. It’s going to prove that I am a threat in the Knockouts division and all of those girls should worry every time they step in the ring with me. And it’s going to prove that I’m finally a real professional wrestler. That I’m not just a model.”
- There are plans for King Mo to wrestle in TNA. Mo will workout in Ohio Valley Wrestling where he is expected to be seasoned for his in-ring debut with the company. Mo went to OVW several years ago after a WWE tryout and worked out with Mark Henry, John Morrison and Scotty 2 Hotty. As of this writing there is no specific timetable on when he will report to TNA's official developmental territory, however, the company is looking to bring him to television this summer.
With Bobby Lashley losing another MMA fight over the weekend, how soon will it be before he signs a new contract with WWE?
Bobby Lashley has been interested in returning to WWE since late last year, before his loss this weekend. The problem is WWE isn't as interested in bringing him back. Lashley took a big risk in trying MMA. Either he would have success like Brock Lesnar and his stock would skyrocket or he wouldn't and his stock would plummet. Unfortunately for Lashley, he hasn't had success and there is no rush to bring him back.
What was the cause of tension between Brock Lesnar and John Cena during Brock's initial run with WWE?
Brock Lesnar didn't like John Cena when the two were just emerging on the scene. I don't know if there's a clear answer as to why but they didn't get along. Brock is a funny guy and not very personable but he and John didn't see eye-to-eye. With that being said I don't know how things are between the two today.
How does WWE select which superstars to produce merchandise for and how much emphasis is put on what superstars wear to the ring?
It all depends on who is over. The more crowd reactions a worker generates, the more merchandise WWE is going to put out in hopes of turning a big profit. Let me give you a recent example. Daniel Bryan drew big "Yes, Yes, Yes" chants so the company releases a "Yes, Yes, Yes" t-shirt. It all has to do with what the company thinks will sell the most. As for emphasis on what a worker wears to the ring, WWE obviously wants talent to wear their merchandise to the ring because if a fan sees them wearing it, they are more likely to buy that particular product.
When are we going to see Dean Ambrose called up to the main WWE roster?
Dean Ambrose's debut on the main WWE roster seems imminent, as he has been working pre-show dark matches. He, along with Bo Rotundo and Bray Wyatt (formerly Husky Harris),are on the short list for a call-up to the main roster.
A lot of professional sports leagues have rules against Tweeting before and during games. After CM Punk spoiling Paul Heyman's return, do you think should WWE adopt this policy as well?
WWE has policies in place regarding Twitter and have held multiple meetings about the proper way to use their accounts. CM Punk was in "rare form" yesterday and decided to Tweet a photo of Paul Heyman backstage about ten minutes before he came out. Punk has a lot of leeway backstage in WWE so I doubt much will be made of it but he's one of the few that could get away with such a stunt without repercussions.
Do you feel The Miz looked weak when Brodus Clay went over him last night on Raw Supershow? Is Brodus in line for a title shot?
There are no immediate plans for Brodus Clay to work in the main event and his character is being treated as comedic relief. I didn't like the booking of Clay going over The Miz and feel it made Miz look weak. The Miz has had backstage heat but I don't know the specific reason why the company has significantly scaled back his push.
What's Brock Lesnar's status with WWE?
Brock Lesnar is still with WWE, everything said by Paul Heyman on last night's Raw Supershow was a work. As for Heyman coming in, I have more details available at this link. Some people I spoke with were surprised Heyman returned on WWE TV so soon but it was widely expected coming out of last week's TV tapings.
Why were The Bella Twins fired from WWE?
The Bella Twins were "fired" not fired as they allowed their WWE contracts to expire and chose not to re-sign with the company. WWE turned the real-life situation into an angle by having Eve "fire" them to explain their departure.
With Randy Orton hitting Sheamus with the RKO after their loss on Monday's Raw Supershow is this an indication he is turning heel?
WWE had Randy Orton hit Sheamus with the RKO to put him in the title match at Over the Limit with Alberto Del Rio and Chris Jericho. I also wondered about a heel turn when Orton hit his finisher on Sheamus but immediate plans for the future of Orton's character are unknown. One thing about Orton is that he has never been an all-out babyface as he also works the "dark viper" persona. The future of Orton's character will become clearer as the build to Over the Limit progresses but I am happy to see Orton challenging for the World Heavyweight Championship.
What are your thoughts on the on-screen persona of John Laurinaitis?
Vince McMahon is very happy with how much heat the John Laurinaitis character generates but I do not find the gimmick entertaining. It's one thing for someone to generate heat because they are playing their role so well (as is the case with someone like Chris Jericho or Alberto Del Rio) but it's another when people legitimately cannot stand the worker's gimmick (as is the case with someone like Michael Cole, Lord Tensai or Laurinaitis). The Laurinaitis character is nothing new and is reminiscent of the days of Vince McMahon and his "stooges" but it hasn't been as effective.
Why did Bobby Lashley leave WWE originally?
Bobby Lashley left WWE basically in protest over the way the company released his girlfriend Kristal Marshall. Lashley didn't see eye-to-eye with many of the higher-ups and decided to pursue outside interests. As I noted earlier this week, he had the chance to really up his value with success in MMA but unfortunately that hasn't happened.
Since returning to WWE, Chris Jericho has had a number of WWE Championship matches against CM Punk and I expected Punk to retain the title the first few times but to see Jericho not even have one title run during this feud was intriguing. Do you feel Jericho was overlooked in what was otherwise a good battle?
Chris Jericho and CM Punk had some great bouts but I don't like how Jericho came out of the feud. One of the things that intrigued Jericho about returning to WWE was the opportunity to work with Punk but I can't help but feel he looked weak after going under in their program. This is why I was in favor of Jericho pinning Sheamus on Raw Supershow this past Monday because it was important for him to go over. It's not that I do not like Punk as champion, I clearly feel Punk is a top guy, but it's tough when a guy makes a highly anticipated return only to go under.
With WWE promoting TNA stars on their website and on television could the "A Revolution is Coming" campaign be an invasion of Impact Wrestling?
No, WWE isn't going to "invade" TNA Wrestling. A lot of readers saw this happen when Vince McMahon purchased WCW or when ECW invaded WWE and want to see it happen again, however, there are no plans for the two largest wrestling promotions to work together. As for WWE promoting TNA wrestlers on their official website I think it's more indicative of Vince McMahon's feelings towards TNA. He doesn't see the company as competition and operates almost as if they do not even exist.
It seems like Hulk Hogan never knows what's going on (as in the case with Scott Steiner) and doesn't draw ratings anymore. Honestly, if the wrestlers don't like him being there, if he doesn't make more money for the company than he is getting paid, how does he have a job?
I agree many of Hulk Hogan's ideas seem out of touch with today's audience, however, he has a job because he is Hulk Hogan. I wish there was more of an explanation I could give you but that's the reason he has a job with TNA; because of who he is. Hogan can be credited for major pro wrestling booms in the 80s and 90s and the hope was he would put TNA on the map. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and TNA continues to struggle to grow their viewing audience. The latest idea is to move Impact back an hour in hopes they will lock in more viewers.
Has The Undertaker retired or will he work Wrestlemania XXIX next year?
There is no definitive word on The Undertaker's future but the last I heard he was in the preliminary plans for Wrestlemania XXIX. The days of him as a full-time WWE star are over but he felt good after his match at Wrestlemania XXVIII this year and apparently feels he has a couple more matches left in him.
How did John Cena become the face of WWE? How did he get picked over Randy Orton?
Becoming the "face" of WWE isn't something where a worker is necessarily picked. Obviously Cena was given a main event push and made the most of it but he earned his spot as the face of the company. While there are many factors that caused Cena to rise to the top the main reason is he is Vince McMahon's money maker. In 2010 John Cena was a $106 million retail brand according to ESPN's Michele Steele.
Can you explain how the Wrestling News World Facebook Application works?
Our newest website feature is our Facebook Application that allows you to share what you read with your Facebook friends. The application is particularly useful for readers that use Facebook and are looking for a way to stay "plugged in" with what is going on 24/7. All you have to do is click the "Login" button on the right of the website to connect your Facebook account to WrestlingNewsWorld.com and you will begin seeing updates on your Facebook feed.
Is there going to be a WWE Draft this year?
The preliminary plan was to hold the 2012 WWE Draft on the April 23, 2012 episode of Raw Supershow but as we saw, it didn't happen and the show was built around the "contract signing" of John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. There was actually talk of dropping the draft entirely with the Raw Supershow concept but I haven't heard if a final decision has been made one way or the other.
When are the post-Wrestlemania releases going to take place?
The post-Wrestlemania cuts have been taking place. In addition to executives that have left the company in recent weeks, WWE cut Tough Enough winner Andy Leavine and producer Goldust. I'm told WWE has been working to make as many quiet releases as possible to avoid a long list posted on dot com. With that being said this could be the calm before the storm.
I think it would be awesome if you did a full-fledged explanation using either an entire Premium Mailbag or Backstage Blog on why TNA is a “lost cause” with regards to competing with WWE.
I can actually give a full-fledged explanation right here in Ask WNW that will save a tremendous amount of time… TNA is a lost cause in competing with WWE because of their current managerial structure. TNA has the basic elements to compete - a national TV deal with Spike TV and a significant financial backer in Panada Energy. However, the pro's end there as the company is ran by people where their own personal agendas that are more important than the success of the company. Dixie Carter is a very likable person and everyone I know speaks highly about her but until she gets someone in there that cares about the company over their own personal gain, TNA will always be second rate. This is not as easy as it sounds as the wrestling business is full of manipulative people with their own personal agendas.
What do you think WWE is trying to do with Brodus Clay?
WWE is booking Brodus Clay as a dominant comedy gimmick. His push was killed once when he had some behavioral issues but based on the way he was booked on Monday (going over The Miz clean), the office is once again high up on the Funkasaurus.