Welcome to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium Newsletter. This is where you will find all of the big news and Ask WNW segments from the week neatly archived for your viewing pleasure.
This week's edition covers news from Saturday, September 8, 2012 to Friday, September 14, 2012 as well as all five Ask WNW segments from the week. Use this newsletter as your own personal tool to catch up on any of the news that you may have missed during the week. Below is a table of contents:
Note From Richard: For those that have asked, the Newsletter is organized with the news posted on Saturday at the top with the most recent stories at the bottom. We have it organized this way so you can read the news in the order in which it happened. Thanks for your support!
The official website of the Montreal Canadiens recently conducted an interview with Dolph Ziggler to promote the upcoming Raw in Montreal. In the interview, he discusses playing hockey as a child, his former relationship with comedian Amy Schumer, and more. In the following excerpt, Ziggler speaks on his role as the host of WWE Download:
WWE is quite progressive when creating original programming exclusively for YouTube. You host “WWE Download”, which highlights random Web videos and consistently draws 100,000+ views per episode. Cut us a promo on why your show OWNS “Tosh.O”.
DZ: (laughs) I’m the Showoff, I’m great at what I do and WWE Download is an awesome show. Unfortunately it goes over a lot of people’s heads because it’s a little too smart. Tosh has a great show. He does a lot of great jokes; he’s got a lot of great writers that help him out. Now, I like to host the show, write the show and do what I do better than everybody else and that’s stealing the show. When you watch WWE Download, you know you’re getting a bona fide star hosting a show, having a good time, putting it all out there. Also, and that’s the key point; it’s a family-friendly, PG-oriented show. And I can still make them laugh, I can still tear it down, I can still steal the show, I can still make it interesting and I can make it fun for the whole family. That’s the edge that WWE Download has. I do it better than anyone else.
He also touches on his former role as "Nicky" in the Spirit Squad:
One of your earlier gigs was with the “Spirit Squad”, where you had to take some lessons from actual cheerleaders to nail the characters. Did that give you a newfound respect for cheerleading?
DZ: During my college days, I never mocked cheerleading. When we found out that we were going to be cheerleaders and that we would have to take gymnastics and cheerleading lessons non-stop, we wanted to knock it out of the park. We had lessons five days a week, twice a day, to try to nail every aspect of gymnastics and cheerleading. I realized it wasn’t easy. It was a pain.
Click here to read the full interview.
- Chris Jericho recently took part in an interview with Between The Ropes in which he discussed performing with Fozzy, what he considers the best period of his career, and more. In the following excerpt, Jericho responds to when - if ever - he intends to return to WWE:
It makes me laugh because we do signings every day at Uproar after our show. We have great fans but probably, I'd say one out of ten of them, will say 'When are you coming back to wrestling?' It's like, it hasn't been a week. Last week I lost the thing and then it's like on a Wednesday - 'When are you coming back?' What is the percentage? I don't know. Depends what we have going on tour-wise. I don't think we have anything booked as of yet. I know we're going to Australia at the beginning of March with Metallica. I don't when exactly. When is WrestleMania? At the beginning of April? There's always a chance. Once again, it all depends on what's going on with Fozzy and where we'll be at with the band. There's always a chance. I definitely don't want to make this something where I'm on for another year again. If there's something where I can pop in from time to time. I think that would be pretty cool. Let's say as of right now there's a 50-50 chance.
He also touched on Kevin Nash's recent controversial comments:
Nothing really hurt me about it. I think it was a stupid statement. Whether he was trying to push buttons or not, whatever, but that's my generation. Those were my guys, and I was there. I lived through it, dealt with it. It just was a stupid statement, whether he's trying to pull strings or whatever. I don't think he was. I think he was just saying it because he really believed that, and it's the typical big man mentality. Big guys always think that way, until they look through their career and realize the best matches they ever had were with guys that were my size. So I said what I had to say about it, and I wasn't going to get into a war with Kevin - I like Kevin - but I think it was a dumb statement.
- I'm told WWE officials have an idea of meeting with undercard talent and asking them what direction they would like to take with their respective characters. One observer balked, commenting why pay a creative team to develop storylines and gimmicks if they are just going to ask workers how they can progress them? This certainly seems a way to address recent frustrations that have spilled over to social media posts.
- There are at least preliminary plans of Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara remaining a tag team for the immediate future as Rey's knee still isn't 100% and most importantly, it cuts down on Cara's blown spots. The office's vision for Cara, at least in the eyes of Triple H, is for Cara to be the heir apparent of Mysterio so the team also helps him get over as well.
- We can confirm there is no internal power struggle between Vince McMahon and Triple H despite some publications reporting the contrary. The only notable disagreement between Vince and Hunter lately has been the booking of Brock Lesnar.
- The official WWE website has released the 2013 DVD/Blu-Ray release schedule for WWE Home Entertainment. The schedule is as follows:
WWE TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2012
Best of Raw & SmackDown 2012
The Best of Nitro Volume 2
Royal Rumble 2013
Bret Hart Unreleased Matches
Elimination Chamber 2013
Mick Foley Biography
The Best of In Your House
Top 25 Rivalries
Extreme Rules 2013
ECW Unreleased Vol. 2
Money In The Bank 2013
Best of MSG
Best of War Games
Top 20 Divas Countdown
Triple H Biography
Night of Champions 2013
Money In The Bank Anthology
Over the Limit 2013
History of WWE
Hell in a Cell 2013
Raw 20th Anniversary Box Set
Survivor Series 2013
Best WWE PPV's
- It was announced during WWE Monday Night Raw that there will be a battle royal during the pre-show of Night of Champions on WWE's official Youtube page. The winner of the match will go on to face Antonio Cesaro for the United States Championship during the pay-per-view.
- Beth Phoenix, who took a leave of absence due to the loss of a loved one, returned to WWE TV tonight on Raw. Beth, Alicia Fox, and Natalya lost to Layla, Kaitlyn, and Eve in a six-Diva tag match.
After her match, Beth wrote the following on her Twitter account:
- Arda Ocal is reporting that Jerry Lawler collapsed at the announce table during the #1 Contender's tag team match on Raw and had to be carried to the back. Lawler could be seen hunched over during part of the match. Ocal's tweets are compiled below:
Jerry is in our thoughts and prayers and we will keep you updated as information becomes available.
- As Michael Cole reported, Jerry Lawlercollapsed during tonight's broadcast of Raw and underwent CPR. He is currently receiving medical attention at a local medical center. Cole has since left the booth and there is what has been described as "chaos" backstage. There is fear that he may have suffered either a seizure, a stroke, or a heart attack. Fan reports are coming in saying they saw Lawler clutch his arm before collapsing. While being carried off, some reported Lawler's face turning blue and seeing his shirt ripped open. Richard is out of the office, but he is receiving more information and we will continue to provide updates on this terrible situation.
- WWE has provided an update on the condition of Jerry Lawler, who has been taken to a local medical facility:
-Wrestling News World reader Dustyn sent in the following images from last night's Raw in which Jerry Lawler collapsed and had to be stretchered to the back:
-Wrestling News World reader Brandon Nelson sent word via Twitter that the incident is being covered by local media in Lawler's hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. Click here to view coverage from WREG.
- Jerry Lawler's girlfriend, Lauryn Laine McBride, posted the following on her Facebook account regarding Lawler's condition:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It has been confirmed that Jerry did have a heart attack...he is in stable condition and breathing on his own & heart is stable. I'm getting on the first flight out of here to be with him & will keep everyone posted. He is a strong man and we will get him back at his best as soon as I can get him home! I love you so so much baby!
- WWE has released an official statement regarding Jerry Lawler's condition following his collapse on last night's edition of Raw:
Jerry “The King” Lawler suffered a heart attack while commentating during last night’s broadcast of Monday Night Raw in Montreal. We are hopeful Jerry makes a full recovery and returns to WWE in the near future. Our thoughts are with Jerry and his family.
We wish Jerry Lawler the very best and are hoping and praying for a full and speedy recovery.
-The scheduled dark match main event for last night's Raw, CM Punk vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship, did not take place due to Jerry Lawler's heart attack. In addition, Justin Roberts announced to the live crowd that the scheduled "Pat Patterson Appreciation Night" would not be taking place.
-Wrestling News World reader Logan Walker sent in an article from TMZ covering Lawler's collapse. Click here to read it.
-Wrestling News World reader Patrick Peralta sent in an article from Fox Sports about Lawler's condition. Click here to read it.
- WWE was really upset about us breaking the news that Vince McMahon had ordered a directive to keep Christian off television until after his appearance at TNA Bound for Glory. I'm told WWE was worried TNA would try and claim it was an "act of bad faith" and with all the other legal issues, WWE wasn't happy with the leak. One source says WWE actually put a story out that Christian had a minor ankle injury to try and coverup why he was being held off television. However, I'm assured the reason he was written off was due to his upcoming appearance with TNA Wrestling.
- This week's WWE Raw in Montreal was utter chaos. As if Jerry Lawlersuffering a heart attack wasn't bad enough, things were very hectic before it even happened. The show was completely re-written at least five times since last week and the company went on the air at 8 PM EDT before the final rewrite had been completed.
- WWE updated their website 12:20 PM EDT time today on the status of Jerry Lawler. This is what their official website has:
As of this morning, Jerry "The King" Lawler is in a cardiac care unit and all his vital signs are stable. WWE will provide additional information as it becomes available. We continue to wish Jerry all the best for a full recovery.
- News station WMC-TV out of Memphis has been covering the Jerry Lawler collapse and heart attack as it happened on last night's edition of WWE Monday Night Raw. They posted an article saying that Jerry will have heart surgery today. Other publications are stating that he already had the surgery, but I can't confirm that yet. Check out the full article from WMC-TVhere.
- The support for Jerry Lawler continues to pour out all over the internet as we learn more about the situation. Wrestling stars from past and present, as well as different wrestling companies, react about the horrible situation that occurred last night. It really shows how the wrestling business pulls together for someone in time of need. Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, and Scott Hall showed their support early this morning and this afternoon from their tweets below.
- As of this writing, Jerry Lawler is #2 in the "Trending Now" section on Yahoo.com.
Username LeftyTosser commented on our earlier post that Stacy Carter, aka Kat, said that Jerry Lawler already went into surgery. He had stents placed in his heart. He underwent an angioplasty where a balloon was placed to widen arteries that lead to the heart so they won't be blocked.
- To promote tonight's Smackdown taping, Wade Barrett was interviewed by the Ottawa Sun. Below are some of the exerts from the article.
Getting injured earlier this year:
"There's a saying that it's never a good time to get injured. We were four weeks from Wrestlemania. It was very disappointing. It's a huge relief to get back on TV. I've been doing live events for the last four weeks. But it was great to get back under the cameras and bright lights."
Being a face on the indy circuit:
"Most people have never seen me in a good-guy role," said Barrett. "I did that on the indy circuit and absolutely hated it. I'm definitely never going to be John Cena, the life and soul of the party. The only cheering (fans will) be doing is the cheer they give when I leave WWE.
Wade also discusses his new ring style since returning and being on the set of "Dead Man Down." Check out the full interview here.
- NY Daily News recently posted an article covering the funeral of actor Michael Clarke Duncan. Mark Henry can be seen acting as a pallbearer for the service.
Henry also gave his thoughts on Duncan's passing on his Twitter account:
Click here to view the article.
- Jerry Lawler had a heart attack at the announcers table at this week's WWE Raw. Medical personnel and crew members transported him from ringside to the backstage area via the aisle way through the crowd. Half-way there he was met by EMS where he was hit with a defibulator several times to restart his heart. I'm told he was unresponsive and not breathing at this point.
Another crew of EMTs used a different defibulator that restarted his heart and ultimately saved his life. Jerry was rushed to a hospital in downtown Montreal where he was put on a ventilator while doctors worked to stabilize him. After nearly twenty minutes, Lawler was stabilized and was taken off the vent. A multitude of tests were ran once he was stabilized including an eye test while he was coherent. They did an MRI of his brain to rule out a stroke. Once a stroke was ruled out, they performed a CT scan while most WWE officials and medical personnel felt like it was cardiac arrest even before the CT results came back.
On Tuesday, Lawler had a stint placed in his heart that acted as a balloon to help clear blockage. That is where things stand currently as far as his health.
Regarding the mood backstage at Raw, I'm told Vince McMahon and Triple H rotated from seeing him and working gorilla. There was no talk about stopping the show unless it was confirmed that Jerry had died.
While Vince was working gorilla, he was screaming for people to get in-character and hold it together. He said that's what Jerry would have wanted and controlled everything said by Michael Cole on television. As soon as McMahon received word that Jerry had a pulse he snapped into "war general mode" and commanded the troops to "finish strong."
One observer tells me that Hunter looked "lost and helpless" backstage and was trying to console workers and was much more sympathetic [than Vince] towards people's feelings. I'm told it was Cole's call not to announce the rest of the show and just provide updates on the health of Jerry Lawler.
Even though WWE Champion CM Punk didn't look shaken, he was as just minutes prior he was working a match with Lawler. Vince told Punk to get in-character. The feeling is Punk did an "amazing job" masking his feelings and Vince was very happy with him. Once the show went off the air there was a small talent meeting backstage with prayers offered for Lawler.
-Jerry Lawler's ex-wife, Stacy "The Kat" Carter, posted the following update from her Facebook account:
I have an update on Jerry. The docs are removing his ventilation & taking him out of sedation. He is responsive, which is great!!! It took a while to revive him last night so there's the concern of brain damage. He had some tests done which will show how much if any damage there is due to the lack of oxygen to his brain. Unfortunately, the results won't be in until in the morning. I appreciate all the calls, texts, tweets, & Facebook messages of support & I know Jerry will too. Thanks everybody!!
We continue to wish Jerry the best and will keep you updated as more information becomes available.
- We heard some amazing news today in regards to Jerry Lawler. After receiving the CT Scan, the reports came back and Jerry did not receive any brain damage. Stacy Carter, aka Kat, tweeted this earlier on her official Twitter account:
News station WMC-TV, from Memphis, is also staying on top of the situation. They posted an article about Jerry also confirming that he did not receive any brain damage. The article can be found here.
-The Connecticut Weekender recently conducted an interview with Brodus Clay, who discussed his time in the developmental system, being a part of Edge's last match, and more. In the following excerpt, Brodus explains the transition from his "Fall of Humanity" character to the Funkasaurus:
CTW: So you fast forward a few months, and we have a highly anticipated re-debut of Brodus Clay. We saw these promos for months of a mean monster type guy coming. Then comes the time for the debut, and out comes “The Funkasaurus. Take us through from your point of view, how that came about , and what the reaction was.
Brodus: Ok so the weeks leading up, i swear i was about to lose my mind, what little hair i had on the top of my head i was pulling out. Literally every week I was getting ready to debut, ready to debut , but then week after week something would happen to delay it. I was turning into a laughing stock. I was getting text messages from home, saying what is going on. Finally the day comes and they show the sign with the disco ball and my name, and I get a text from my brother saying “Why is there a disco ball on your name?” So when I did come out it was dead silent, I could have said my name and it would have echoed through the building. There was a guy who was fired up and was dressed in my old ring gear, with his hair spiked up and a cut off shirt , and his mouth was so wide open, he was so upset. During the match he yelled at me “you suck Brodus Clay” and I yelled back “My Bad” and it kind of just went from there and I kept that as my catchphrase. It’s so hard to surprise people these days with the internet, but it shocked people.
CTW: I think even the announcers were surprised, everyone was expecting this monster Brodus CLay, one of the most aggressive guys in the business, and all of a sudden here is this guy rocking a fedorah and breakway pants. It caught us off guard for sure.
Brodus: I remember Triple H came up to me and said “whatever you do, do not look at the internet , it’s probably going to be bad.”
In the excerpt below, Brodus discusses his NXT elimination and his elimination promo, which is embedded below:
CTW: How bitter was it to finish second place to Johnny Curtis?
Brodus: You know what, Johnny Curtis, I came up with him, I trained with him. At the time I was genuinely shocked. They talk about that promo i did when i was eliminated, (see below) and that was 100% how I felt, it was legitimate. If you watch American Idol, or X Factor, you see the guys that come so close to winning but then don't. I understood how they felt. It was definitely bittersweet, but they wouldn't have gotten that reaction out of me, and I probably wouldn't have gotten paired up with Alberto Del Rio had I won.
Click here to read the full interview.
- TMZ spoke with Kevin Lawler, Jerry Lawler's son, and posted a new report this afternoon regarding Jerry's condition. An excerpt is below:
TMZ spoke with Kevin Lawler ... who tells us, "[Jerry] is hooked up to tubes and is still not able to speak … but he's writing stuff on a notepad to talk to people."
"Not just brief notes, but detailed stories which show he knows where he is and what is going on.”
Click here to read the full article.
-Michael Cole just announced that he spoke with Jerry Lawler over the phone, which is especially notable due to the fact that Lawler was previously only able to communicate by writing on a notepad. Cole's tweets are below:
Earlier, Cole responded to the positive response he's received for his handling of the situation on Raw:
-Randy Orton posted the following on his Twitter account regarding his upcoming film, "12 Rounds: Reloaded":
-The official WWE website has announced that Lilian Garcia will be performing at MetLife Stadium, the home of WrestleMania XXIX, during the New York Jets vs. the San Francisco 49ers halftime show on September 30. Lilian discusses the opportunity in the excerpt below:
“When I got the call, I nearly dropped the phone,” Garcia told WWE.com, thinking back on when the Jets told her the good news. Garcia was already scheduled to perform the national anthem — as she has done at Jets games seven times prior — but this marks the first time she will perform at an NFL halftime show. “The Jets want me to do a seven-minute show with their Flight Crew Cheerleaders, and I’m going to be rehearsing with them next week.”
Lilian’s halftime performance is in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Day at MetLife Stadium, which is part of the NFL’s recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.
“Being Latina, this is a huge honor for me,” Garcia said with a smile. “It’s just really, really exciting to be part of this. It’s very surreal.”
Click here to read the full article.
- In May, we broke here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premim that YouTube approached WWE about a deal that would see the WWE Network launch as a YouTube exclusive channel that was streamed live 24 hours a day. As we reported then, Vince McMahon was not willing to go the online distribution route but it might look more appearing if the network continued to run into stumbling blocks.
Well, Vince is finally starting to reach that point, however, the WWE Network is by no means canceled. As things currently stand, WWE is trying to reopen talks with YouTube and there is also a substantial offer on the table from Hulu (reportedly in the $10-15 million range per year, similar to the previous offer from YouTube).
The goal is still to get enough clearances on cable and satellite systems to launch the WWE Network as a premium subscription network but WWE is struggling to get the operators to commit. While there are several reasons, the biggest is the operators feel they'll end up with less money overall from their half of the subscription revenue than they currently get from their half of the monthly PPVs.
Therefore the plan right is is to figure out the best possible deal from either YouTube or Hulu and see if they can play them against each other and then see if the threat of moving most of their pay-per-views off cable and satellite entirely in favor of a YouTube or Hulu deal will be enough to get more of the operators to cave and agree to carry WWE Network as a premium subscription service despite their fear of it eating into PPV revenue.
Ultimately it's a dangerous game but WWE is desperate. The worst possible outcome would be for word to spread that plans for the WWE Network is canceled and cost them possible opportunities to partner with YouTube or Hulu.
- Jim Ross posted the following update on Jerry Lawler on Twitter:
- On WWE's official website, they are advertising Paul Heyman for their upcoming house shows. The first one is September 22nd in White Plains, New York. The other is September 23rd in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- Also on their official website, they added Brutus “The Barber" Beefcake to their Alumini section. His profile can be seen here.
- WMC TV in Memphis, Tennessee has provided another update on the condition of Jerry Lawler. An excerpt from the report is below:
Lauryn McBride, Lawler's girlfriend, updated Action News 5 on the wrestler's progress Thursday morning. She said she was able to get him to eat some oatmeal and eggs and he even walked around his hospital room. "(and fixed his hair---for everyone knows how he is about his hair---lol.) They are now taking lines out and he is looking so good today!!!" McBride said in a text message to Action News 5's Joe Birch. "We will go for a walk in just a bit and s=do (sic) some more breathingexercises (sic). Will update as the day goes on." Earlier, McBride said Lawler was having some trouble with his memory, but doctors believe that could improve once his sedatives wear off.
- Chris Jericho just announced that he got a new tattoo of the cover of Fozzy's latest album, Sin and Bones. A photo of the new tattoo is below:
Yesterday, Jericho posted a photo of the tattoo in progress, which is embedded below:
- Jerry Lawler continues to be improving as we seen a picture of him released earlier today but he sent out a Tout tonight. It can be seen below.
- Eve Torres announced her engagement to boyfriend Rener Gracie on Twitter Thursday night by Tweeting an Instagram photo of the ring. You can view the Tweet below:
- According to Jerry Lawler's son Kevin, Jerry started complaining of chest pains as early as Saturday when he was in Aruba with his girlfriend. Kevin also confirmed our report that Jerry was clinically dead for nearly 20 minutes while EMTs worked to revive him. You can read more of Kevin's comments at Memphis news channel WREG at this link.
- Both Samoa Joe & James Storm were officially eliminated from the Bound For Glory Series at TNA No Surrender. Bully Ray is now scheduled to face Jeff Hardy in this year's finals. Click here for exclusive live coverage of the event.
- Jeff Hardy defeated both Samoa Joe and Bully Ray tonight to win the Bound for Glory Series. He goes on to face Austin Aries for the TNA World Championship at the Bound for Glory pay-per-view.
- Someone tweeted Hulk Hogan yesterday and asked him about Devon and his release from TNA Wrestling. Hogan's response can be seen below.
The tweet has now been deleted from Hogan's account.
- We posted an article earlier today where Hulk Hogan tweeted about the departure of Devon from TNA Wrestling. Since then, Devon responded to Hogan's tweet. Let me remind you that Hogan's tweet about Devon has been deleted from his official Twitter account. The tweet is below.
To see Hulk Hogan's tweet article click here.
At last night's No Surrender pay-per-view, Bully Ray went on to the finals in the Bound for Glory Series. However, he lost that match to Jeff Hardy. Today, Bully Ray tweeted about his defeat. The tweet is below.
- TNA Wrestling star, Samoa Joe, talked to UK's The Sun to promote No Surrender, which aired last night. In the interview, they asked him about the Bound for Glory Series. Joe responded by saying:
“It actually makes sense this time around. Last year we had some ridiculous scenarios. Next year, I’d like to see it move forward again. Maybe our fans could vote for who participates in the series and even have a tournament night with multiple matches to test a wrestler’s endurance.”
Click here to read the entire article where Joe discussed his character and a future title reign.
- TNA Wrestling announced this week that the Bound for Glory pay-per-view will be in select movie theaters nationwide again. Below is the official statement from TNA:
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING is once again teaming up with Screenvision, a leading innovator in cinema advertising and alternative content programming, to bring the biggest TNA Pay-Per-View event of the year, “Bound For Glory,” to fans nationwide in over 100 theaters across the country live on October 14.
Click here to check out the article on ImpactWrestling.com and to see the list of the movie theaters as well as buying tickets to the show in theaters.
Bobby Roode was interviewed by 106.7 The Fan before a TNA Baseball Brawl show in Maryland. Below are some of the highlights:
Why the tag team division changed from now to what it was 10 years ago
I think it’s a lot of people connect more with singles wrestlers maybe, I don’t know. I think, not to to toot my own horn here but I think that’s what Beer Money had that was special, again you know that we brought to the table in tag team wrestling was we had teams to work with, you know the teams of 3Ds and the British Invasion and of course, the Motor City Machine Guns that really etched our name in some of the greatest tag teams of all time and I think it was the entertainment value as well. People were able to connect with us and what we did and whether they loved us or hate us they were entertained every night and that’s something that’s important in professional wrestling today.
How his feud and matches went with Austin Aries
I think just chemistry-wise, I think we’ve had some great matches and we never really, before this program started with him and I, we never touched each other. We never wrestled each other before and I didn’t know really much about him and he really didn’t know much about me. The contrast in styles was something I think maybe people thought wouldn’t work, but I think we changed everybody’s mind. And I think if there’s ever an opportunity for him and I to go at it again, I think we’ll accomplish what we did, if not do things even better.
He also voices his opinion on the mix of veteran and homegrown talent on the roster and what he thinks of "Jersey Shore" type people who come on the show. You can listen to the interview here.
- I heard Lex Luger is tapped to induct Sting into the TNA Hall of Fame at Bound for Glory in October.
- Mark Haskins, who was injured in January, is gone from TNA Wrestling as his contract expired and was not renewed.
- For those that missed it on this week's Impact Wrestling, TNA Champion Austin Aries will defend the title against Jeff Hardy at Bound For Glory next month.
How do you feel WWE handled the situation with Jerry Lawler? I heard Vince McMahon wasn't by his side, is that true?
I am just returning from vacation but from everything I have heard WWE handled the Jerry Lawler situation the best they could have. Obviously there will be those that will argue they should have stopped the show but no one complains when a football game isn't stopped after a serious injury. The EMTs acted quickly and ultimately saved his life. As for Vince McMahon not being by Jerry's side, that is false. Triple H and Vince rotated from gorilla to checking in on Lawler until he was taken to the hospital. Hunter was said to be a little more compassionate than McMahon but he checked in on him periodically.
With TNA continuously cutting roster expenses, do you see people like Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Rob Van Dam getting cut and replaced with workers that aren't as expensive?
While I'm not sure about Rob Van Dam, both Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff have taken pay cuts since their original TNA contracts signed in 2010. A lot has been said/written about Hogan and Bischoff but as long as Dixie Carter is in power, they are probably safe. There was a monumental power struggle between Jeff Jarrett/Vince Russo and Hogan/Bischoff and we all know who won that battle. TNA is cutting costs, restructuring many contracts coming up at lower rates.
What's the latest on the WWE Network in terms of which satellite and cable providers are going to carry it?
WWE is still struggling to gain clearances and everyone is getting frustrated, especially investors that see money being spent with no plan for a return on investment. I have a detailed article that I've been working on that I will be running today (Thursday) here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
Is it true that younger or undercard talent are told to hold back and not "steal the show" during their matches in preparation for a show's main event?
No this isn't true and no one is going to hold back to help the anticipation to the main event. It's up to the writers and producers to book a show where the undercard isn't going to take the focus off the main event, however, this business is all about individual performance. While the outcomes are contrived, how a worker is booked has a direct correlation with how much money they earn. Everyone wants a top spot and the undercard workers have to work hard to get over and get noticed.
What is Howard Finkel's job in WWE?
Howard Finkel, WWE's longest tenured employee, is retired as a ring announcer and now an ambassador for the company. I assume he has some type of contract but it's not to work on a regular basis like Lilian Garcia and Justin Roberts. Finkel has been employed by WWE since 1977, he's now 62-years-old.
Is there any particular reason WWE had Daniel Bryan stop with the "Yes, Yes, Yes" chants? After all, it's the main reason he got over.
No, no, no! WWE tinkered with turning Daniel Bryan babyface but ultimately wanted him to remain heel. The logic behind "no, no, no" is simple. Chant the opposite of what the fans are chanting to get heat on him. Because Bryan plays his character so well, it worked to perfection. I disagree the "yes, yes, yes" chants were the main reason he got over, he got over because of how well he plays his character not any particular chant.
With Vince McMahon in love with bigger guys, how did someone like Shawn Michaels become "the guy."?
To assume there is not a bias towards more muscular "giants" as top guys in WWE would be incorrect but it ultimately comes down to who can get over. Shawn Michaels was able to captivate the WWE audience and get over in a way few have ever been able to do. While Vince wants his stars to "look like stars," the main reason someone is going to get elevated as a top guy has to do with whether or not they get over. In this business it's all about drawing and once given the opportunity, how far a worker takes it will determine the booking of their character.
How do the wrestlers come up with their finishing moves and what happens if another wrestler uses or has used that move in the past?
Workers come up with their own finisher and obviously if they are in WWE or TNA, the respective company has the right to modify anything they want to fit their character. Green workers, or rookies, are not supposed to use a popular worker’s finisher as a sign of respect. This can still be done but the proper way to do it is to get that particular worker’s blessing before just going out and using it. Failure to do so rubs people the wrong way and is certainly not how a newer worker would want to start out in the business. If someone showed up in developmental and just started using CM Punk’s GTS, I’m sure they would be told not to use it.