Welcome to the WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium Newsletter. This is where you will find all of the big news and Ask WNW segments from the week neatly archived for your viewing pleasure.
This week's edition covers news from Saturday, September 1, 2012 to Friday, September 7, 2012 as well as all five Ask WNW segments from the week. Use this newsletter as your own personal tool to catch up on any of the news that you may have missed during the week. Below is a table of contents:
Note From Richard: For those that have asked, the Newsletter is organized with the news posted on Saturday at the top with the most recent stories at the bottom. We have it organized this way so you can read the news in the order in which it happened. Thanks for your support!
- Cameron had already left for the WWE Raw tour of Australia before news of her DUI arrest surfaced online. She appeared with Naomi and Brodus Clay at the 8/30 show in Brisbane but was sent home once the further details surrounding her arrest were released. Not only was she popped for DUI but there are also allegations of attempted bribery.
- SLAM! Wrestling has a new article online featuring quotes from AJ Lee. Below are the highlights:
Would she rather wrestle or work as the Raw GM?
"I'm so torn, I want this position to last long, it's so much more fun and it's amazing to have all that power and I'd like to stretch it as long as I can," she said. "Being part of Wrestlemania is amazing to me. There's a little 13-year-old inside of me that was a wrestling fan and the idea of wrestling at home, minutes away is so amazing. So if I was really selfish, I would do both, I would book myself in a match!"
Having her character portrayed in a Scooby-Doo movie:
"Oh my gosh, there's definitely a checklist of amazing life experience milestone and being immortalize in a cartoon character is certainly bizarre," she admitted. "We did the voiceovers and I hit on Scooby and Shaggy, so this is the most bizarre moment of my life! This is pretty cool!"
Favorite wrestling-related books:
She also loves to read, especially pro wrestling biographies. "The first [of] Chris Jericho's and Eddie Guerrero are my favourites," she added.
Click here to read the article in its entirety.
- Cameron has been suspended by WWE until September 15th due to her DUI arrest and the aftermath that resulted in company officials finding out about it from reports online. As noted previously, Cameron had already left for Australia by the time WWE found out about the DUI, allegations of attempted bribery and the fact she tried to conceal them as her employer. After working one day in Australia, she was pulled from the remainder of the tour and will now serve out her suspension.
-WWE is conducting a poll for The Miz's newest t-shirt design on Facebook. There are four choices available, all with "Haters ♥ Me" on the front. Click here to view the designs and vote.
- Chicago Focus recently conducted an interview with David Otunga, in which he discussed his time on "I Love New York," the busy schedules of both his wife and himself, and more. In the following excerpt, Otunga discusses the origins of his coffee mug prop and his lawyer character:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan has a 2X4, Triple H has a sledgehammer, but you have a coffee mug. How did that prop develop as a part of your character?
Otunga: "Funny you should mention that because I’m drinking out of it right now. The thing about the coffee mug, is that it’s really me. One day I started using it on camera and people are led to believe it’s a part of my character. But it’s really me and not just my character's role."
The gateway to the WWE for you was being a part of the group called "Nexus". Then slowly you branched out to becoming a legal counsel for many WWE wrestlers and executives. Was the lawyer role something that was always on the back burner or did you pitch this idea to the creative department?
Otunga: "That was something that I did definitely. I was kind of turning into the A-lister and Hollywood star person but I’m more of a different character. I really am a lawyer and no one else is which sets me apart from everybody else. One day I went out to cut a promo and I was supposed to talk about something else but did the lawyer thing and they loved it. So we stuck with and it felt pretty good."
Click here to read the full interview.
- The Sun is reporting that The Rock foiled an attempted burglary in Hackney, East London while on the set of the upcoming movie, Fast and Furious 6. The Rock, who was in costume for his role, spotted the would-be burglars as they attempted to break into vans, which held expensive equipment. He then left a scene that was being filmed to chase the burglars off before any equipment could be stolen. Click here to read the full article.
- The presale password to obtain tickets to the December 26th WWE Smackdown live event from the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois is WWEHOLIDAY.
- WWE will be screening the new CM Punk: Best in the World documentary with Punk on October 7, 2012 from The Portage Theatre free for the first 1000 fans. The screening will take place from 1-3 PM.
- The latest WWE Studios production "The Day," which was only in 12 theaters this weekend, grossed $10,100. Click here for coverage by BoxOfficeMojo.com.
- Wrestling News World reader Johnny Crowe sent word that Eve won the finale of NBC's "Stars Earn Stripes." Eve and her operative Grady Powell earned an extra $100,000 for the USO on top of what they won in their missions. The grand total was $150,000. Click here for coverage by dot com.
- The theme song for WWE Night of Champions 2012 is "Champions" by Kevin Rudolf, featuring Limp Bizkit, Birdman and Lil Wayne.
- There was no post-show dark match main event after this week's WWE Raw. Paul Heyman drove CM Punk back into the arena and he cut a promo for the live crowd. He said he was scheduled to work John Cena but was unable too because he "hurt" him earlier. Cena came out to attack Punk which resulted in Alberto Del Rio, Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler, Randy Orton and Sheamus all coming out and fighting. The heels threw The Miz into the ring and the babyfaces made short work of him by hitting their finishers to send the crowd home happy.
- Ric Flair was on "Fox and Friends" on Fox News Tuesday morning as he was being interviewed because he is a Charlotte resident, where the 2012 Democratic National Convention is currently taking place. While the interview was mostly about politics, one of the anchors said they would like to see Vince McMahon bring Flair back to WWE. Flair responded by saying he would "like that too."
- WWE officials were "pretty ticked off" that Floyd Mayweather Jr.said in an interview with Hot 97'sPeter Rosenberg that he was returning to the company next year at Wrestlemania XXIX. I'm told it's not a done deal but Mayweather and WWE are in talks. WWE is in the process of talking to celebrities they have used in the past to appear at the Wrestlemania next year. I heard Peter Rose, Jenny McCarthy and Mr. T are three other names that have been contacted.
- Wade Barrett returned during this week's Smackdown taping, after being sidelined with an elbow injury since February. Barrett defeated Yoshi Tatsu in a squash match. Click here to view this week's Smackdown spoilers.
- Next week's WWE Raw is being advertised as "Pat Patterson Appreciation Night." The show will take place from the Bell Centre in Patterson's home city of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Click here for local event information.
- Broadcasting & Cable is reporting that "The Hero" starring The Rock has been given the green light by TNT and will premiere on the network next summer.
- WWE has announced they will tape Smackdown on November 20th from the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Tickets go on sale September 5th.
- Bret Hart is being advertised for next week's WWE Raw in Montreal. This will be Hart's first appearance with WWE in Montreal since the Screwjob in 1997.
- Triple H has cut his hair and TMZ has the photos to prove it. Click here to view Hunter's new look.
- Bret Hart wrote the following on Twitter;
- Wrestling News World reader Shannon sent in the following:
The Morning After Show with Cotter and Modz on 94x in Prince George recently posted an audio interview with Edge. In the interview, he talks about his upcoming appearance on Haven, why he cut his hair, and whether he plans on returning to WWE in a non-wrestling role. The hosts then puzzled the Hall of Famer in a trivia game towards the end of the interview.
- There are tentative plans to expand WWE Saturday Morning Slam on the CW Network if it continues to do well. While WWE has considered doing a "cruiserweight show" for the WWE Network, I'm told the concept could be used for the kid-friendly Saturday morning series if they are given an hour timeslot instead of the current 30-minute slot. Current plans would call for Sin Cara to be the "main star of the show" with the likely possibility of the cruiserweight tile being brought back. I'm cautioned that some of this is wishful thinking on Vince McMahon's part as he loves the idea of an hour filled with colorful guys and masked guys with great merchandising potential being marketed directly to young children on Saturday mornings. The WWE Network would not have anywhere near the penetration of the CW so Vince is hopeful the CW show does well enough to expand to an hour and perhaps become the outlet for the proposed cruiserweight program.
- Bully Ray, whose contract with TNA Wrestling has expired, wrote the following on Twitter:
Ray's former tag team partner and good friend Devonannounced last week he is finished with TNA.
We aren't hearing anything new regarding Bully Ray's contract status other than TNA was trying to re-sign him at a lower rate.
- TNA Wrestling has announced plans for a new UK-only television series. The show, called British Bootcamp, will premiere on Challenge TV this December. From what I understand, it's basically a reality show similar to WWE Tough Enough where aspiring UK wrestlers compete for a contract with TNA Wrestling.
There are currently no future plans for the TNA TV Championship currently held by Devon.
Devon, who announced last week he was finished with TNA Wrestling, left after failing to come to terms on a new deal. He posted the following on Twitter:
- Kurt Angle is dealing with a hamstring injury as he worked this past weekend's TNA live event with a pulled hamstring. Speaking of Angle, remember the controversy with Gerald Brisco? He wrote the following on Twitter:
Here is the plaque in question.
The following conversation took place between Matt Morgan and Kevin Nash on Twitter:
- TNA has wrapped the first round of filming for "British Boot Camp" with Marty Scurll, Rockstar Spud and The Blossom Twins for Challenge TV. The show, described to be similar to WWE Tough Enough with a UK wrestler winning a TNA contract, is expected to premiere in December.
- Diva-Dirt.comreported today that Winter is officially gone from TNA Wrestling. According to their report, Winter's contract expired Wednesday and was not renewed. She is accepting independent bookings at firstname.lastname@example.org. Winter, who worked in WWE as Katie Lea Burchill, said last December she would never return to WWE and TNA allowed her to pursue her acting interests in Los Angeles.
- I'm told there are some people in TNA Wrestling that are very skeptical of Kurt Angle'shamstring injury. Some in the office believe he's playing mind games now because he's upset about how negotiations have been going regarding his new TNA contract. Not only that, my source says the story has made its way back to the WWE office which further confirmed their suspicions that Angle "can't be trusted." I'm told Angle has no plans to retire any time soon and would like at least a "few" more big money years but it doesn't look like anyone is going to give him the $500,000 per year he is seeking.
What is the policy for signs in the crowd at televised WWE events?
What signs get in and what signs do not start with the live event staff at each venue. Some venues have a reputation for being strict while others are more lenient. WWE has their producers and cameramen monitor the signs that are getting on television and will remove any that are even questionable. Signs that are certain to get taken are those that advertise something, include profanity or reference a worker in which WWE has recently fired or wants nothing to do with.
What's the latest update on Dean Ambrose?
Dean Ambrose worked a dark match at the latest WWE NXT tapings at the campus of Full Sail University. We'e heard for several weeks his debut on the main WWE roster is seemingly imminent. Click here for full NXT taping results.
I understand WWE is in business to make money and the more commercials on their programming, the more money. However, I feel the commercials have became excessive and are drawing viewers away. What are your thoughts?
There is a direct correlation between the amount of commercials and the number of viewers that watch WWE programming. Remember the commercial-free episode of WWE Raw from 2009? The show did an outstanding rating and showed company officials how they could benefit from product-placement type advertising and ditching commercials outright. However, back to today and the quality of ads for WWE programming isn't as good due to the demographic so they have to make up for the lack of quality with quantity. We experience the same thing with this website. The biggest reason Vince McMahon decided to expand Raw to three hours is the extra hour of revenue from commercials.
Why is Sheamus not considered a top WWE talent. You always list John Cena, Randy Orton and CM Punk.
Sheamus is a current main event star in WWE but he's not yet "the guy" or one of "the guys." WWE officials, specifically Triple H, see Sheamus as one of the future "faces of the company" but he's not there yet. Cena, Orton and Punk are going to work in the main event no matter what because they are the top draws.
What are the odds the Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage will be accepted into the WWE Hall of Fame?
I actually heard there is interest in inducting Ultimate Warrior into the WWE Hall of Fame over Wrestlemania XXIX weekend next year. Whether or not a deal gets done remains to be seen but I found it was interesting his name was already being mentioned as a potential Hall of Fame candidate. As for Randy Savage, we all know of the issues between him and Vince McMahon that blocked him from the company for latter part of his life. Savage was unbanned in death as the company paid tribute to him although I do not know his status of a possible posthumous induction.
Given the fact the brand extension is essentially over what's the point in having the World Heavyweight Championship?
The brand extension is over in terms of television, however, it is still used for WWE's touring schedule. Having both a WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship gives WWE an opportunity to expand the main event scene and I feel two world titles are warranted. It's amazing how many people want to see another secondary title yet are upset about two world titles.
What is your opinion on active WWE superstars joining commentary? I enjoy it and feel it adds to programming.
A lot of readers were high up on The Miz on commentary on this week's WWE Raw. Two workers I enjoy hearing on commentary are CM Punk and Chris Jericho. So to answer your question the usage of active workers on commentary can be an asset if done correctly and with the right worker.
Do the Dudley Boys have to wait 90 days before they can sign with WWE or can they sign right away?
Devon is gone from TNA Wrestling and he has been teasing a return to WWE. Bully Ray has kept his contract status close to his vest with the only thing known being his TNA contract was coming up. With that being said, I can confirm neither have WWE deals as of this writing and can tell you WWE has not been hiring former TNA names because of the ongoing litigation. A 90-day non-compete agreement is not in effective with an expiring contract as the clause is used when an agreement is terminated early. I talked about non-competes in detail in Monday's Premium Mailbag at this link.
What are the chances we see a stable of CM Punk, Paul Heyman, Brock Lesnar and The Dudley Boyz?
The Internet has been abuzz following CM Punk aligning with Paul Heyman on this week's WWE Raw, however, I wouldn't go creating a stable just yet. First of all, just go ahead and throw the Dudley Boys out of the equation, as neither Devon nor Bubba has a WWE contract as of this writing. As for Brock Lesnar aligning with Punk, keep in mind Lesnar is a part-time star that will do whatever WWE asks of him so it depends on the direction creative wants to go. I'm not surprised to see the company pair Punk with Heyman as it was Punk that pushed WWE to sign him and suggested he could be used to fill the gaps in Lesnar's absence due to the limited nature of his agreement. An outsider would assume Lesnar brought Heyman in but that's not how it happened.
The Undertaker has delivered some o the best matches in his career at Wrestlemania over the last several years. Do you agree?
The Undertaker had a storied career but he took it to a new level beginning with his match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XXV in 2009. Let me be clear. I'm not saying all of Undertaker's [Wrestlemania] bouts before this weren't good, in fact some were excellent, however, beginning at Wrestlemania XXV, Undertaker has gone on to have some of the best matches in WWE history (two against Michaels and two against Hunter). There are more than a couple things worth noting including the timing of the matches (during the latter part of his career) and the fact more than one was a "show saver."
Why did Shaquille O'Neal vs. Big Show not take place at Wrestlemania 28 this year? Any chance the match takes place at the show next year?
WWE yanked the proposed celebrity match after Shaq leaked word about it in a public interview. Not only that but many in WWE didn't want Big Show to go under to another outsider. We broke the story back in February here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium. As for celebrities at Wrestlemania XXIX next year, we currently have a story now online about a major celebrity angle at the show here.
With some of the talent backstage in WWE complaining about not getting any in-ring time, couldn't the company pair some of these talents up as tag teams and push the tag team division a little more than they have been?
It's easier said than done to provide more in-ring opportunities for talent on WWE television. In a business where outcomes are predetermined yet how one is booked has a direct correlation in how much money they make, there are always going to be people complaining about not getting on television. The best advice I can give is if an opportunity is given, it's in the worker's best interest to take full advantage of it.
Why has Christian not been seen on WWE television?
As we reported exclusively here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com Premium last week, Vince McMahon gave a directive to make sure Christian is not prominently featured on WWE television until after he appears at TNA Bound For Glory next month. The idea is McMahon wants Christian to appear in TNA "cold." We were the first publication to break this story despite others running it without credit this week. For more, check out our exclusive update at this link.
Is Edge still under WWE contract?
No, Edge is no longer under WWE contract. His deal expired on April 30, 2012 and while the company tried to re-sign him to a deal that would allow him to still making appearances, the two sides were unable to come to terms. I was told Edge wanted something like what Shawn Michaels has to the tune of a reported $300,000 per year and WWE wasn't willing to pay that much.
Any shot Sin Cara gets a chance in the title scene?
WWE officials are high up on Sin Cara because of his international appeal and kid-friendly masked character, however, he is not seen as a main event talent in terms of WWE Championship or World Heavyweight Championship material. If WWE goes forward with plans for a show dedicated to cruiserweight talent, he's expected to be the focal point and would obviously be a viable candidate for cruiserweight champion should WWE decide to bring the title back.
Why is Tensai continue to get on television? Could WWE at least revert his character back to Albert?
While it's clear Tensai's push is over, he's still getting on television because he's under contract and the company is seeing what they can get out of him. As for WWE bringing him back as Albert I guess it's not out of the question since Tensai has failed but they are now booking him as a mid-card heel talent.