Backstage news from Monday Night Raw in Long Island…
- Dean Ambrose got rave reviews backstage at Raw. One “plugged in” observer likened it to the character of ”Stone Cold” Steve Austin, which is notable because this is actually an idea that a top WWE star pitched to Vince McMahon. Remember, it wasn’t long ago when a well-known producer and top star went to Vince and complained about Ambrose being directionless. Since then, he’s been in the main event at Extreme Rules and is now getting to run with someone pitched for him that puts him on the level of Austin.
- We’re told John Cena had a knot on his head and needed some ice backstage.
- For those wondering why Randy Orton and Roman Reigns do not have matches at Elimination Chamber, the plan is for Roman to face Kane at some point. WWE may hold this off until Money in the Bank next month. Orton simply doesn’t have an opponent.
- A directive from Vince McMahon was issued over the weekend that they keep building mid-upper level talent. Vince remains unimpressed with many talents, feeling Rollins is one of the only guys that is really “reaching for the brass ring.” That may have changed, however, with Ambrose. His stock is clearly rising in a big way.
- The cast of “Entourage” was well-received backstage at Raw.