- The New York Post claimed on Friday that WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group, the parent company of Ring Of Honor, are rumored to have made bids to purchase TNA Wrestling. The piece focuses on Billy Corgan’s pursuit to purchase the company and notes the complex ownership situation of TNA as Dixie Carter, Corgan, Aroluxe Marketing and the Fight Network are all minority shareholders (remember, Panda Energy pulled out). You can read the piece at this link. For what it’s worth, I haven’t heard of WWE submitting a bid but if they did, we’d expect things to be kept very quiet. I’m not sure how much value is left in the TNA brand aside from being the promotion that used to air on Spike TV.
- Dave Meltzer reported on MMAFighting.com that UFC 203 garnered between 425,000-475,000 pay-per-view buys, which would be UFC’s best numbers so far this year for a show not headlined by Conor McGregor or UFC 200. Meltzer speculated based on past research of the fighters on the UFC 203 card that Punk probably brought in 125,000-225,000 extra buys, which would mean an added revenue of $3.75 million to $6.75 million. Given the numbers, Punk’s future in UFC is more complicated. While UFC has the right to cut any fighter after a loss, would they cut Punk after drawing that kind of audience and generating that kind of revenue?
- Are you ready for WNWHD.com? The all new portion of WNW Premium is now open for business and includes several headlines that you’re going to want to read. Take a look at this must-read listing from last week:
Use the coupon code GOHD on the SIGNUP PAGE for a 10% discount to join now!
- Lana and Rusev were married a couple weeks ago in a traditional Bulgarian wedding ceremony in Bulgaria. This followed the ceremony in Malibu, California that was taped for Total Divas. The Bulgarian ceremony was officiated by Lana’s father as he is a minister. Naomi and Natalya were bridesmaids for the Total Divas ceremony. After the Bulgarian ceremony, Rusev and Lana honeymooned in Seychelles and Dubai.
- Emma returned to WWE at last night’s live event in Louisville, Kentucky. She played the role of special referee in a match that saw Alicia Fox, Bayley and Sasha Banks beat WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte, Nia Jax and Dana Brooke. Emma has not worked since May due to a back injury.
- The UFC will followup on UFC 203 with UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson tonight from the State Farm Arena in Hidalgo, Texas. The main card will be headlined by Michael Johnson vs. Dustin Poirier as well as Uriah Hall vs. Derek Brunson. Abel Trujillo was scheduled to face Evan Dunham at the event but Trujillo pulled out on September 5th due to injury. Dunham will now face Rick Glenn. We’ll have complete results of UFC Fight Night 94 later here at WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Johnny Gargano was married to Candice LeRae over the weekend at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa in Anaheim, California. Dot com covered the celebration at this link. Congratulations go out to the happy couple!
- Tragedy struck at The Black & Brave Wrestling Academy owned by Seth Rollins based out of Moline, Illinois a couple of weeks ago. Twenty year old Jonah Snyder, a student at the school, wasn’t feeling well and was asked by the trainers to sit down. His conditioned worsened to the point where 911 was called and he went into cardiac arrest once paramedics arrived. He was later pronounced dead. The school issued this statement:
It is with great sadness that we acknowledge the passing of our student, Jonah Snyder. Jonah attended the first night of our 7th Black and Brave class a week ago. After briefly participating in fitness drills with his classmates he abruptly fell ill. Emergency personnel were called and Jonah was rushed to the hospital. He passed away en route. No cause of death has been determined.
Jonah loved professional wrestling and in closing we wanted to leave you with his words. Below is an excerpt from the essay Jonah penned for his application to our school. All of our thoughts are with Jonah's family and friends as they go through this incredibly difficult time.
"I live, breath, sleep, and eat wrestling. It's in my blood. I want to learn it so I can travel the world putting a smile on people's faces. I wanna give them hope or something to believe in.”
WNW HD is Now Open! It’s more than a network with more backstage news, more interactive features and an opportunity for readers to connect as passionate fans. For a limited of time you can SIGNUP NOW with a 10% discount by using the coupon code GOHD!