Backstage news from "Old School" Raw in Baltimore, Maryland…
- We're told there were late re-writes to this week's show. One thing WWE is trying to do with Brock Lesnar is rebuild him as a destroyer because his win/loss record doesn't do him any favors. This is the reason for the kayfabe explanation that he "dislocated and fractured" the elbow of Mark Henry.
- It was a mixed bag for Ryback on Monday. He worked Dolph Ziggler in a match that was taped for WWE Superstars prior to "Old School" Raw that left Ziggler with another concussion but he was praised for his work on commentary on the Raw broadcast.
- It's quite possible the reason that Jake "The Snake" Roberts' surprise appearance on this week's show didn't leak because the assumption was that WWE was putting together a deal for him to be a surprise entrant in the 30-man Royal Rumble match. This was a goal that Roberts set for himself but backed off it in recent weeks. We're told it's Triple H that's been pushing for surprise returns on live television because it creates shock in the audience.
- A major point of discussion backstage at this week's show was the status of Hulk Hogan. While there isn't much of an update other than Hogan is still in play for Wrestlemania XXX, many of the Legends were talking about it.
- Shawn Michaels was never in the plans for this week's show because of the prior commitment we noted here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com.
- Alberto Del Rio was criticized for "not touching a gym" while he was out with his concussion that he suffered last month. We're told one observer said it gave the impression to WWE officials he wasn't putting in effort to be ready for television.