Backstage news from Monday Night Raw in Corpus Christi…
- The feeling after Monday Night Raw was the fans didn’t buy the “firings” of Ryback, Dolph Ziggler and Erick Rowan. Drawn-out closing segment aside, a number of officials feel The Authority weren’t off TV long enough to make their removal mean anything and have blamed that as one of the reasons. It also doesn’t help things the Royal Rumble match is a mere weeks away and Ryback, Ziggler and Rowan are expected to be part of it.
- We’re told JBL was given a directive from his headset to bury The Ascension when their promo died badly. This has been something we’ve been talking about all week but it clearly didn’t work.
- Vince McMahon wasn’t happy with the Raw script and rewrote much of the show on Monday afternoon.
- The promo cut by Roman Reigns was considered his worst ever. The concern is that his promos are coming off as forced and he needs to just go off-script, while others feel he just needs to work on his delivery. Reigns is indeed tabbed "the special one" but his mic work must improve.
- I wasn’t given a specific reason why neither WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar nor Daniel Bryan were mentioned on this week’s show. The fact they’re booked for next week should have been a key promotional point, or at least one would think.
- We’re hearing the writers feel they are once again being left in the dark on certain elements of booking, with Vince McMahon and Triple H meeting a lot just the two of them.
- As a result of the lack of transparency, the “backwards booking” of Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose remains a topic of criticism. The plan is to move them away from each other while keeping both of them on TV.
- Big E got heat for the blown power bomb spot with Cesaro. He was considered lucky that Cesaro didn’t land on his head.