Backstage news from Monday Night Raw in Kansas City…
- As we discussed on Tuesday, Mick Foley's appearance was something that was put together by Vince McMahon to help offset the lack of overall star power on shows. Vince doesn't want to overexpose the likes of Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair so an eleventh hour phone call was made to see if he would be interested in a surprise appearance. There was an interesting backstory that we detailed at this link.
- Randy Orton possibly re-aggravated a herniated disc in the main event on a spot with Dean Ambrose. The backstory here is that Orton suffered a herniated disc on the L4-L5 side of his back a few years ago. As a result, he missed some time due to pain and weakness down his leg. Orton was in pain and seen using expletives at ringside. I don't have an official update but the fact no change was made to his main event match against John Cena indicates that he should be good to go. It will be something to keep an eye on, especially given the physical nature of a Hell in a Cell bout.
- WWE is looking for a way to restart on Curtis Axel. There isn't a lot of optimism, however, due to the fact he couldn't draw heat with protection and the backing of Paul Heyman. Supporters blame Axel's lack of ability to get over on poor booking. The point here is he could be back to TV soon, as he's been lost since the injury issues to Ryback.
- Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins have actually been "sat down" and spoken with about their upcoming match at Hell in a Cell on Sunday. According to one source, it's known both are hungry and ready to go "all out" but WWE officials have made it clear they can't afford another injury right now. Both Ambrose and Rollins are obviously known for pushing the limit and sacrificing their bodies in the process.
- Paige has officially proved the naysayers wrong and her stock is once again very high. WWE officials feel confident in everything she does and are high up on how she has gotten herself over. Her debut was completely attributed to nervousness and the feeling is they are seeing the "TV ready prospect" they knew that she was.