Backstage news from Monday Night Raw in San Antonio…
- For those wondering, the tag team division is somewhat of a mess right now as Vince McMahon continues to change course on it.
- A lot of people were talking about CM Punk after his appearance on Talking Dead on Sunday night. There's tension because Punk isn't talking to his WWE friends but is fraternizing with his MMA friends and was just seen on national television. As I've noted previously, Punk has never been known for his likability but his persistence in not acknowledging his WWE departure with people considered to be his friends, isn't doing him any favors with his former co-workers.
- WWE officials weren't happy with the way Randy Orton called a fan out at ringside during his match with Daniel Bryan. The incident happened just before the commercial break, where Orton looked at a fan and said, "Ring the bell, are you kidding me? It's no DQ, there's no bell to ring." He then performed offense on Bryan and pointed at the fan and said it was on him. As it was described to me, it's one thing for Orton to play a heel but another to acknowledge specific reactions in the crowd. This same observer pointed to Orton's history at getting frustrated with crowds, noting that could have been why it was brought up afterwards.
- Goldust suffered a laceration above his right eye in his bout against Fandango and he wasn't happy about it. We're told he had to have the cut closed when he got to the back.
- As of this week's show, there were no huge surprises planned for the 30-man Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.
- If you're confused about the direction of The Shield, it's because Vince McMahon and Triple H have differing opinions about what to do with the faction. This is why some are questioning if they are now babyfaces after this week's show.
- We're told Road Dogg is expected back in the ring soon after resting his sore back.