Backstage news from WWE Monday Night Raw in Richmond...
- As of this week's show, there are plans for a program with Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan. While a singles match at WWE Payback was discussed, the feeling was it would be rushing things and if they were going to do it, it needed more build. This is the reason they were paired together to oppose The Shield for the WWE Tag Team Championship.
- Curtis Axel's addition into the Intercontinental Championship match at WWE Payback was very last minute and came across that way on TV. One observer commented how the match went from a triple-threat, to a singles back to a triple-threat in a matter of minutes.
- Axel being announced for a title match pretty much kills any speculation of him being announced as Chris Jericho's opponent in place of CM Punk. While no one knows for sure, we're working under the assumption that Punk will be back at the pay-per-view on Sunday.
- A lot of people backstage actually thought Roman Reigns had chance of winning the WWE Active poll to oppose Daniel Bryan but of course Seth Rollins dominated it. Bryan jokingly told people backstage to vote for Rollins, as he knows what the bout meant to a lot of Ring of Honor fans. The match did nothing but help the stock of both Bryan and Rollins.
- The tease of pairing Zeb Colter with Antonio Cesaro was intentional. WWE is really high up on Colter and they don't want to take him off television.
- We're told Vince McMahon didn't like how the John Cena/Ryback segment came across on television.