Below is complete coverage of Royal Rumble 2014 featuring results and Richard Reacts:
- Billy Gunn & Road Dogg went over Goldust & Cody Rhodes to win the WWE Tag Team Championship in the Royal Rumble Kickoff. This was good, with three of four working like it was still 1999. The finish saw Gunn tag Road Dogg, unbeknownst to Cody Rhodes, allowing for him to get in the ring, hit the Fameasser and win the match. The title change was expected, as we highlighted in our pre-show notes.
- Bray Wyatt and Daniel Bryan put on a clinic. Anyone that thinks Bray Wyatt can't go needs to go back and watch this tape. The match went over 21 minutes and considerably raised expectations for Wyatt. He proved in what was easily his best match in WWE that not only can he portray a gimmick but he can work with the best of them. The story told was Bray was out to destroy Bryan because he had his chance at salvation. Bray looked to have bit his tongue as he was bleeding from his mouth after a tornado DDT spot on the outside. They played up the concussion Bryan suffered a couple of weeks ago on Raw, with Wyatt focusing on Bryan's head. Jerry Lawler had a great quote in regards to Bray, proclaiming, "this freak needs an exorcist."
- Big Show and Brock Lesnar had the daunting task of following a masterpiece. This wasn't much of a match as it was only a couple minutes long after Paul Heyman slid a chair in the ring for Lesnar to ruthlessly beat down Show before the referee called for the bell. As soon as the bell rang, Show delivered the KO punch that caused Brock to retreat. When Show went for another KO on Lesnar, he ducked and loaded him onto his shoulders. Lesnar delivered an impressive F-5 to get the win. The goal was to make Lesnar look like an unstoppable beast and was probably the best route to take considering they were doomed from the beginning.
- Randy Orton vs. John Cena was hijacked by the crowd in honor of Daniel Bryan. While there were your normal "Cena Sucks/Let's Go Cena" chants, we also heard chants for Bryan, "you both suck," and "we want Divas." There was a referee bump, where Orton actually tapped in the STF, but it wasn't acknowledged and followed with Orton delivering a shot to Cena with the title bet. At one point, the crowd chanted "this is awful." The finish was dirty as Cena had Orton in the STF again but The Wyatt Family came out, providing enough distraction for Orton to hit the RKO and retain. The Wyatt Family beat down Cena after the match, setting up the rumored Wrestlemania XXX bout between Bray Wyatt and Cena. One story told was they were out there in response to Orton calling Bray Wyatt a "Duck Dynasty reject" and saying he would never be a viable contender for the WWE title.
- WWE ended up with egg on their face with the 30-man Royal Rumble match. Once the crowd realized Daniel Bryan wasn't coming back out as an entrant, they turned hard. It didn't matter that Roman Reigns was being built right in front of their eyes, they wanted Bryan and didn't care about anything else. The hijacking of the WWE title match was only a prequel to what ended up downright embarrassing for WWE. Vince McMahon and Triple H are going to have to get over their phobia with Bryan and realize now is the time to push him to the moon. The fans demand it and the reactions Sunday night in Pittsburgh proved it.
Aside from the controversy, Batista won as expected. He entered #28, which is the same place he entered when he won in 2005. The second biggest story to come out of the night was WWE is clearly set on pushing Roman Reigns. Reigns entered #15 and eliminated 12 workers, for the most all-time. The record was set by Kane with 11 eliminations in 2001 and obviously stood until Sunday night. It also doesn't look like The Shield will be together by Wrestlemania XXX, at least not in their current form. An argument ensued between Reigns and Seth Rollins with Reigns eventually eliminating both of the other two. Reigns was in the match for over 30-minutes before finally being eliminated by Batista. Batista will challenge for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania XXX.
As for the match itself, Kofi Kingston had an awesome spot where he was thrown out of the ring and caught by Alexander Rusev. Rusev set him on the crowd barrier and Kofi ended up jumping from the barrier to the ring apron. This was meant to top last year's chair spot. Antonio Cesaro, who entered 21, did the Giant Swing to Seth Rollins.
Kevin Nash, JBL and Sheamus were the surprise entrants with Dolph Ziggler also returning in the match from his concussion. Alexander Rusev, who has been on the road on main roster live events, was portrayed as this year's NXT entrant (compared to Bo Dallas from 2013).