We wrote last month about WWEspecifically targeting Ring of Honor as a threat to their business, especially when it comes to the expansion of NXT. In that report, we mentioned part of that had to do with the fact that ROH is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group.
On Wednesday, we learned how dead on WWE was to view ROH as a threat after landing the new agreement with Destination America. One of the biggest question marks when it comes to Ring of Honor on DA is what will happen with Samoa Joe.
Joe was brought to WWE primarily to make ROH fans more interested in NXT. We’re told Vince McMahon is not yet sold on him and his agreement with WWE is short term. One source described it as more of a tryout. While WWE was OK with Joe doing Ring of Honor’s syndicated television show, it’s not believed that he’ll be allowed to do national TV. We’re told ROH may have to pull him from the upcoming New York City television taping.
It will be interesting to see what happens when Joe’s short term agreement with WWE expires. WWE can match any offer he gets in the United States. If Ring of Honor tries to put a good package together for Joe, WWE can just match it but the kind of money ROH would offer is much higher than a developmental contract.
Joe was smart to essentially bet on himself and sign the short term deal to prove himself. If things don’t work out, he can return to Ring of Honor hotter than he would have been if he wouldn’t have done NXT at all.